Friday:

- 3 x 20 flights of stairs
- 5 x 20 pushups
- 5 x 20 seated rows

Today:

- 5 x 20 pushups
- 5 x 20 seated rows

Is there a reason nobody posts their age?
If you are 50 it is a lot different than if you are 70 or 75.

Age is just a number. You are all my physically able than I am at age 43 with chronic pain from multiple sources.

• I shoot for one hour for each of these "sessions"
  • I start each day with stretch, yoga type routine then meditate for 30 minutes (in addition to the hour workout later in the day)
  • I take 5-7 days a year off.
  • I'm 57. 6' 4" tall, 185 LBS
    [*]Gained 10 lbs fat, 5 lbs muscle since 2020 (yeah, 170 was a little ridiculous)
  • I play around with cold exposure (30 second cold shower...really want to work up to 12-15 minutes per week)

I'm 6'6" and weigh 175. A little extra strength would be nice but i'll take it over being overweight like soo many people.

I almost skipped this mornings workout after a lousy nights sleep. It helped that I laid my clothes out the night before and willed myself to get going. I reminded myself that I would feel worse if I skipped it and the only workout you regret is the one you don’t do.

Not for a pat on my back, but hopefully motivation for someone else struggling.

Age is just a number. You are all my physically able than I am at age 43 with chronic pain from multiple sources.

If age was just a number then at 60 I'd be able to do the same things that I used to do at 20. I can't and no one else can unless they didn't do very much at 20.

I'm sorry to hear about your chronic issues.

Did a 4 mile walk to the coffee shop today, usual week is M,W, strength training 40 minutes with 10-15 minutes yoga/stretching. T, Th outdoors on the bike, 45 minutes to an hour 10-15 miles hitting fat burning and cardio zones. Saturday or Sunday, either a 20 mile bike ride or 5 mile brisk walk both staying in zone 2, fat burning zone.

Great to see how active everybody is, keep it up and have a strong 2023!

After some health issues ~ 8 years ago it is really something how much my strength has declined in just 10 years time as I approach 74 yo. Decade before I could BP 225 and 315 DL for reps which is nothing for many folks, but since I was not a lifetime lifter I was happy with it. Now I am relegated to using machine BP working my sets up 170 lb BP at 10 reps and only 75 lb kettlebell DL, although for DL I could go much heavier, but do not want to push my lower back. Likewise my cardio has also declined. I have come to the realization that once we pass a certain threshold, workouts we used to take for granted will never come back.

After some health issues ~ 8 years ago it is really something how much my strength has declined in just 10 years time as I approach 74 yo. Decade before I could BP 225 and 315 DL for reps which is nothing for many folks, but since I was not a lifetime lifter I was happy with it. Now I am relegated to using machine BP working my sets up 170 lb BP at 10 reps and only 75 lb kettlebell DL, although for DL I could go much heavier, but do not want to push my lower back. Likewise my cardio has also declined. I have come to the realization that once we pass a certain threshold, workouts we used to take for granted will never come back.

I'm 60 and used to lift relatively heavy, could bench press 265 around 15 years ago when I weighed 165, for example. I've had 2 or 3 years of low activity and am amazed at how much strength I've lost.

I'm getting back into working out but I can feel the difference in my body and doubt that I'll ever lift heavy again. No more 6 - 8 rep sets, they'll be 10 reps or higher.

I'm 60 and used to lift relatively heavy, could bench press 265 around 15 years ago when I weighed 165, for example. I've had 2 or 3 years of low activity and am amazed at how much strength I've lost.

I'm getting back into working out but I can feel the difference in my body and doubt that I'll ever lift heavy again. No more 6 - 8 rep sets, they'll be 10 reps or higher.

I only started to lift at 59 after being mostly sedate for 30 years except for playing adult baseball. My heavy lifting lasted for 6-7 years until about 66 yo when I spent some time in the hospital and it never came back afterwards. Those 5 rep heavy sets are over for me, so everything is 10 rep now. It used to be fun going for personal bests.

Came down with a mild cold on Friday so haven't been doing anything since. Hopefully I can start up on Monday. I really miss the routine-light weight lifting, some bike or treadmill then swimming.

Like others (I'm 61) the weights are fairly light with multiple reps.

Next Tuesday I fly out to San Diego to spend a month with DD (I love retirement) so I should be able to run every day while I'm there-as long as the knees hold up.

I'm in the Philippines right now for the winter. The gym is open air and it costs $1.20/day. I am back to that after no gym use during the pandemic. I also road bike every other day part way up a mountain on the island I'm on. I would go further but the road ends, as they all do. The coastal roads are more level but have a lot more traffic. When I'm home in AZ I do a lot of road biking (6-8 hours/week), plus some canyon/mtn hikes. 67 years old.

I'm ready to do a little more but will take it easy for another couple weeks. One thing to be cautious about is coming back after a layoff and doing too much too soon. I used to do 10 sets per muscle group 3 times a week but those days are behind me now. Yesterday:

- 5 x 20 pushups
- 5 x 20 seated rows

I'm in the Philippines right now for the winter. The gym is open air and it costs $1.20/day. I am back to that after no gym use during the pandemic. I also road bike every other day part way up a mountain on the island I'm on. I would go further but the road ends, as they all do. The coastal roads are more level but have a lot more traffic. When I'm home in AZ I do a lot of road biking (6-8 hours/week), plus some canyon/mtn hikes. 67 years old.

Way to go Mabuhay!
You give me confidence at my age 66+ that I can maintain my very active fitness level long term :). I frequent the fitness center 5-6 days a week doing resistance and cardio training.
Now that I am retired, I average 2.5 hours per visit, but recently starting to feel some discomfort lower body, so may have to slow down and recovery properly.

Way to go! I have also found that recovery is key - it takes a couple days. For example, I can’t climb hard if I did legs the day before in the gym. So we have to put some thought into it, and weather also becomes a factor with scheduling. Rain = gym day..

Keep up the good work!

Way to go! I have also found that recovery is key - it takes a couple days. For example, I can’t climb hard if I did legs the day before in the gym. So we have to put some thought into it, and weather also becomes a factor with scheduling. Rain = gym day..

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the positive feedback.
I decided to not push my legs to much today.
This afternoon I spent ~15 minutes warming up and stretching.
Next, 60 minutes working upper body only on a cable machine, then hit the treadmill for a moderate walking pace for 30 minutes.

Today:

- 5 x 20 pushups
- 5 x 20 seated rows

Salsa, Bachata +usual JuJitsu routine, about an hour and a half a day, unless am also skating that day, another one to to hours.

Getting back into it. I was at 190. Now I am down to 188 after a week of my regular routine. Yoga/stretching and jump rope/jumping jacks to get my body moving.

3 sets of 15 reps of rowing
3x15 Sit-Ups
3x15 Resistance Band (variety of variations throughout the week)
3x15 Push Ups
3x15 Pull Ups (on a bar I mounted to my floor joist in the laundry room)

25lb weights
3x15 curls, fly's, lats

Leg day is lunges, squats, skiier and butt kicks with and without weights.

Walking up hill on treadmill, Jogging on Treadmill ~3miles (For now, I will get back up to 10 miles in 90days) for my Cardio.

It feels good to be back into it, but I know it starts in the grocer. Working my way on the outside aisles instead of the inside processed food. Chicken, Tuna, Lamb, Salmon for my main entrée most nights. 3 Eggs for breakfast. Mixed in protein snacks throughout the day, green/red/yellow peppers, cottage cheese, granola, bananas, mixed tree nuts, special K protein cereal, cauliflower, broccoli, mango, papaya, and of course Steak Sundays (with some ice cream for my cheat day).

Been eating WAY to much processed and unhealthy food and portions, sleeping too much and not being active enough. Getting back into skiing, went roller blading a bit this winter, and when the snow melts I will start alternating running outside 5 miles with riding my bike 8 miles each day.

I vary my calisthenics and my variations of each of the above reps...for instance I will do wide stance push-ups/pull-ups one day, and narrow stance push-ups/pull-ups the next. Half down push ups, very the style of sit-ups I do, vary the resistance band where I will do fly's, curl's, I have a 2 pull handles I mounted to the 2x4 in the laundry waist height and on the floor sill, so I can wrap the band and pull in various different manners. My pull up bar is pretty versatile. Sometimes I will do elevated push-ups. Reverse lunges. I like swinging on the swing set on my run, I feel that it helps build the abs... I will jump from the ground up onto the picnic bench seat, and then up onto the table, and back down. Use the monkey bars on the playground...basically anything that can vary the style and muscle groups so I can target as many as possible.

Last edited:

Keep up the good work!

Recovery days are often overlooked and seen as slacker days, but are so important at any age and especially as we age.
I started a new leg routine yesterday and am definitely feeling the “effort” today. Lol
Tomorrow is cardio and abs with a good stretch beforehand.

After six days off because of a cold I was back in the gym yesterday and today. I felt good yesterday but am worn out today. Probably should've taken it a little slower. Still have a little cough and runny nose.

5 minutes of stationary bike to warm up.
3x12 of 4 upper body weights, 3 leg and 2 back/stomach.
5 minutes of 8:30 pace on the treadmill with 6 minute pace for 45 seconds to finish. It's an all out sprint for me. Still pretty good for 61. I think this is what wore me out. Knees felt fine.

No swimming today. Too tired and not many lanes open on the weekend at the Y.

Today:

- 4 x 20 flights of stairs
- 5 x 25 pushups
- 4 x 15 seated rows (heavier band)

I set a goal to ski 60 days this year and ski a total of 1 million feet of vertical.

I'm on track so far. It helps that the snow has been plentiful.

I set a goal to ski 60 days this year and ski a total of 1 million feet of vertical.

I'm on track so far. It helps that the snow has been plentiful.

1million would be impressive! I did 100k of vert over 4 days a few years back. I was feeling it! I was 37 at the time though. I even hiked up to the East Wall at A-basin (It's stacked with 500-600 foot, 30-40 degree hike-to chutes that fan out onto wide-open aprons). It was VERY icy on the backside, and one wrong step down the backside and that would have been it.

Yesterday I was on a flight to San Diego. Today I ran 3 miles at a 9:30 pace. I was surprised it wasn't slower. I haven't run since November. No knee issuesw either. I also found out there's a YMCA close to me so I can do some weights and maybe swimming. I hate to waste the good weather for indoor activities though. 72 degrees today.

Tuesday - hour on the elliptical. 500 calories per my watch. Wednesday - 30 minutes on the rower. Not my fastest, but still top 20% for my age group. 500 calories per my watch. I believe peak heart rate was 150. Thursday - ? No cardio, maybe just weights and machines after some light warmup.

Back
Top Bottom