36000 miles checkup

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My Hyundai is due for a 36000 mile warranty checkup. I bought it at 12000 miles and the only thing I've done is change the oil. Called the dealer, they said it would cost $499 for the checkup. I looked at the list of things they would do and the only replacements are the oil, air cleaner, and coolant. Everything else is "Inspect." My local Lube Stop will change oil and inspect items for $49, and do a coolant flush for $64. Am I missing something, or is this a no brainer?

My Hyundai is due for a 36000 mile warranty checkup. I bought it at 12000 miles and the only thing I've done is change the oil. Called the dealer, they said it would cost $499 for the checkup. I looked at the list of things they would do and the only replacements are the oil, air cleaner, and coolant. Everything else is "Inspect." My local Lube Stop will change oil and inspect items for $49, and do a coolant flush for $64. Am I missing something, or is this a no brainer?

Your Hyundai dealer needs to make more money than you Lube Stop. If it were me,I would call around and get referrals for a good independent repair shop that works on imports, and you'll save a lot of money.

I would not have the Lube Stop do any real repairs................:eek:

FD is correct, you can have your general maintance done anywhere. In most cases major repairs should be done by the dealer because of the technology in todays cars.

Service advisers in most cases are on commission and will try to sell you all kinds of services that in most cases are not necessary.

I was in the car biz most of my life and when I retired I brought my own car to a Goodyear dealer for an oil change. The advisor asked me if I wanted a free check of my car. After the check he handed me an estimate for almost $2500 worth of repairs and fluid changes. I normally take care of the car myself and I know that none of this work needs to be done. This all goes back to one thing.

Buyer beware!

Good advice so far from others. Look at your owners manual and just do what service is actually mandated. Some coolant, for instance, is good for 100K.

Look at your owners manual and just do what service is actually mandated.

Yep. It's there in the book.

I generally take care of periodic maintenance cafeteria style. Simple things like changing the air filter, spark plugs and ignition wires, I do myself. I pay to have the oil changed because crawling under the car and later disposing of the used oil, for me, just isn't worth the $15 I save. Same with flushing the radiator. Just personal decisions on where the value is......

Anyway, look in the book and go find the best price for each item at shops competent to do the work. If anyplace suggests further work, deal with that thoughtfully remembering they're looking for something to do on your nickle.

Thanks for the advice. Made an appt at a local repair shop that will do the work for half the price of the dealer, and is a real mechanic instead of a Lube Stop.

That is good suggestion I will have to checkout the manual when I get home.

I generally take care of periodic maintenance cafeteria style. Simple things like changing the air filter, spark plugs and ignition wires, I do myself. I pay to have the oil changed because crawling under the car and later disposing of the used oil, for me, just isn't worth the $15 I save.
Same here. It's just not worth the small savings in changing my own oil. I can get that done for $25 or so, and if I went DIY, five quarts of oil and a filter would cost $10 or more, and there's the hassle of disposing of used motor oil. Just not worth it.

Anyway, to the OP, as others mentioned (and as you apparently did), a good independent (i.e. non-dealer) mechanic can often perform good repairs and major maintenance for much less than a dealer -- often 25% to 50% less. I wouldn't take it to a place where the techs mostly just change oil and flush radiators, obviously. I had a 30K service on my Toyota Matrix done a few months ago for $220 when the dealer wanted $399 for substantially the same work.

You know, at the same dealer, depending on who I've gotten, I'll either be in desparate need of brakes or can go another 6 months.

On previous cars, I've also had lube shops recommend maintence that the dealer said wasn't needed. Or, in some instances, was quoted one fix by one mechanic, and then told I didn't need it by another mechanic and then given a completely different problem/estimate from yet a third... all at the same dealership.

Moral of the story, buy a bike!

This Mechanics Files from Car Talk is a pretty good resource to find an honest independent mechanic near you.

Car Talk

Buyer beware is right!

I took my Toyota to an "authorized" (independent) Toyota mechanic because they sent me a coupon for a free oil change. Oh they did the oil change all right. The next day, the check engine light came on. I had it scoped and the code indicated there was a vent malfunction in the emissions system. I had never had any problem like this before. I was hesitant to take it back to the free oil change mechanic. I figured they either accidentally caused the problem or intentionally caused to problem to make up for the free oil change.

I decided to take it to the Toyota dealer who found an electrical connection - disconnected. While they wouldn't come right out and blame the other mechanic for the problem... it was obvious that's what occurred.

That free oil change cost me about $50. From now on.... all service will be performed at the dealership. Buyer beware!

This Mechanics Files from Car Talk is a pretty good resource to find an honest independent mechanic near you.

Car Talk

Thanks, very interesting site. The mechanic I found on the internet is not listed there, but I did find another one about the same distance with very high customer ratings. I may have to switch over. I hope they're not loading the ratings through friends. Maybe I'll tell him I found him on the car talk site and will be sending in a rating for his work.

Thanks, very interesting site. The mechanic I found on the internet is not listed there, but I did find another one about the same distance with very high customer ratings. I may have to switch over. I hope they're not loading the ratings through friends. Maybe I'll tell him I found him on the car talk site and will be sending in a rating for his work.

That is a weakness of a site like this - that it is susceptible to dishonest / slanted ratings. For the mechanics near me I have found it to be accurate.

FD is correct, you can have your general maintance done anywhere. In most cases major repairs should be done by the dealer because of the technology in todays cars.

Service advisers in most cases are on commission and will try to sell you all kinds of services that in most cases are not necessary.

I was in the car biz most of my life and when I retired I brought my own car to a Goodyear dealer for an oil change. The advisor asked me if I wanted a free check of my car. After the check he handed me an estimate for almost $2500 worth of repairs and fluid changes. I normally take care of the car myself and I know that none of this work needs to be done. This all goes back to one thing.

Buyer beware!

tee hee, my SO is a service advisor(for lexo) and wouldn't recommend (to me!) that we get those checks on our cars...but of course he can always ask his tech buddies to do the work for a $20 or a burger. some of the newer cars i would be more nervous if it is higher end and has a lot of electronics - but those also tend to have great warranties. :cool:

The "Service Advisor" is indeed in sales. And the 36k checkup is often used to check how much money can be found in your wallet. The things that MUST be done are oil changes, trans fluid changes, and timing belt replacement at specified times in the owners manual. As to the quick lube places, a last resort for me. Half of them are honest and competent:angel:, and the other half>:D. 50 / 50 is a bad bet IMHO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom