49yo Retired Military, and now what?

I understand, Shawn, not every book works for every reader. (We don’t have to get into how I’ve learned that.) If you want a more complete list of reading material then I’d suggest this thread:
https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...reading-list-with-a-military-twist-46732.html

... and possibly most of the threads on the venerable FAQ subforum:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/
That subforum was built by the first team of moderators a [-]few[/-] [-]several[/-] (wow, time flies) number of years ago.

Bob Clyatt also used to post here as ESRBob:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/members/esrbob-4388.html
and he wrote a good part of WLLM with the crowdsourced feedback of this forum’s members. His example (and eventual mentoring) led me to volunteer to write The Military Guide with more crowdsourced help from the members.

Back in the day, Bob sold his WLLM pitch to Nolo because their founder had written his own book about early retirement. The founder cashed out his equity in the company while Bob was working with the editors, and eventually the new leadership asked Bob to add the phrase “semi-retirement” to the WLLM Workbook. Bob later felt that phrase created more confusion than additional sales, but you might still be able to find the workbook (and its CD-ROM!) in print somewhere.

After publishing WLLM, Bob resumed the art studies he’d enjoyed so much as a young adult. That's turned into a very fulfilling bridge career that he'll never retire from, and you can see what he’s working on here:
https://www.clyattsculpture.com/

I love the fact it even mentions higher earning professionals like myself with the ability to work part-time to fund life pleasures. That we can work, but on our terms. Much different than our time in the Navy for sure. Plus, it focuses we no longer need to work for purpose of identity, but rather the means to be retired. Any other suggestions for good reads related to this would be truly appreciated. I am always perusing your info since I too come from a dual military family. Wife is due to retire in a couple years from AD. Thank you for all you do for our community.
As a dual-military retiree couple, you're quite likely to have more money than you need for the rest of your lives. I speak from personal experience.

There aren't enough of us around for a statistically valid analysis, but every dual-military couple I've ever met who earned at least one active-duty or Reserve pension (let alone two of them) had an estate-planning challenge instead of concerns about their 4% SWR portfolio longevity.

The best community I've found for the discussions on this level of wealth (including estate plans, gifting, and philanthropy) is the Millionaire Money Mentors forum from ESIMoney.

It's a paid forum, and it is not cheap,* but most of the membership is of the "higher earning professionals" demographic. It has a handful of military veterans (including retirees), and you might find more reading recommendations there.

You could start by browsing the ESIMoney posts on retirement books, along with some of the Retirement Interviews. He's only published about 50 of the RIs, compared to nearly 400 Millionaire Interviews, but it's self-sustaining now as more of the MI writers go on to write their RIs.

*(For anyone else who's curious about MMM, the hack for earning a free membership in that forum is writing your Millionaire Interview for John Nardini to publish on ESIMoney. Once your interview is live, then you qualify for a free membership as long as you meet the low bar of a minimal amount of ongoing participation in the discussions. John also cautions that out of every 100 people who contact him about an interview, only ~10 people follow through. I found it to be a challenging exercise in self-reflection and storytelling.)

I understand, Shawn, not every book works for every reader. (We don’t have to get into how I’ve learned that.) If you want a more complete list of reading material then I’d suggest this thread:
https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...reading-list-with-a-military-twist-46732.html

... and possibly most of the threads on the venerable FAQ subforum:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/
That subforum was built by the first team of moderators a [-]few[/-] [-]several[/-] (wow, time flies) number of years ago.

Bob Clyatt also used to post here as ESRBob:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/members/esrbob-4388.html
and he wrote a good part of WLLM with the crowdsourced feedback of this forum’s members. His example (and eventual mentoring) led me to volunteer to write The Military Guide with more crowdsourced help from the members.

Back in the day, Bob sold his WLLM pitch to Nolo because their founder had written his own book about early retirement. The founder cashed out his equity in the company while Bob was working with the editors, and eventually the new leadership asked Bob to add the phrase “semi-retirement” to the WLLM Workbook. Bob later felt that phrase created more confusion than additional sales, but you might still be able to find the workbook (and its CD-ROM!) in print somewhere.

After publishing WLLM, Bob resumed the art studies he’d enjoyed so much as a young adult. That's turned into a very fulfilling bridge career that he'll never retire from, and you can see what he’s working on here:
https://www.clyattsculpture.com/

As a dual-military retiree couple, you're quite likely to have more money than you need for the rest of your lives. I speak from personal experience.

There aren't enough of us around for a statistically valid analysis, but every dual-military couple I've ever met who earned at least one active-duty or Reserve pension (let alone two of them) had an estate-planning challenge instead of concerns about their 4% SWR portfolio longevity.

The best community I've found for the discussions on this level of wealth (including estate plans, gifting, and philanthropy) is the Millionaire Money Mentors forum from ESIMoney.

It's a paid forum, and it is not cheap,* but most of the membership is of the "higher earning professionals" demographic. It has a handful of military veterans (including retirees), and you might find more reading recommendations there.

You could start by browsing the ESIMoney posts on retirement books, along with some of the Retirement Interviews. He's only published about 50 of the RIs, compared to nearly 400 Millionaire Interviews, but it's self-sustaining now as more of the MI writers go on to write their RIs.

*(For anyone else who's curious about MMM, the hack for earning a free membership in that forum is writing your Millionaire Interview for John Nardini to publish on ESIMoney. Once your interview is live, then you qualify for a free membership as long as you meet the low bar of a minimal amount of ongoing participation in the discussions. John also cautions that out of every 100 people who contact him about an interview, only ~10 people follow through. I found it to be a challenging exercise in self-reflection and storytelling.)

Truly appreciate the time taken to reply to my message. You have provided me plenty of material to keep me busy for sometime. I will dive into this promptly.

I joined MMM since they are having a Black Friday membership deal. I am checking out the website now. I do see they reference a few forums I am joined to such as Physicians on Fire (retired anesthesiologist) and White Coat Investor (WCI). I am active on both sites along with a couple CRNA pages as well.

Concur, as dual military Officers, the wife and I should be set. Wife just recently got promoted to 05, so need to complete 3 more years to retire. One more duty station and we are going to call it quits. I have retired at 23 at 05 and she will retire at 30 at 05. We are both medical professionals with the desire to work part time. We should be fine.

Thank you for your time.

I joined MMM since they are having a Black Friday membership deal. I am checking out the website now. I do see they reference a few forums I am joined to such as Physicians on Fire (retired anesthesiologist) and White Coat Investor (WCI). I am active on both sites along with a couple CRNA pages as well.
Welcome!

PoF posts as "Leif" and is Millionaire Interview #5.

He just mentioned a few weeks ago that he's sold his PoF site to a team of other physicians.

I don't know whether Jim Dahle is still leading the WCI team or if he's stepping back too.

Scott is another military doc on MMM, and I'm learning a lot from his posts.

Welcome!

PoF posts as "Leif" and is Millionaire Interview #5.

He just mentioned a few weeks ago that he's sold his PoF site to a team of other physicians.

I don't know whether Jim Dahle is still leading the WCI team or if he's stepping back too.

Scott is another military doc on MMM, and I'm learning a lot from his posts.

Scott just emailed with an introduction. Truly appreciate the assistance for sure. Look forward to participating and learning from the wise.

Concur, as dual military Officers, the wife and I should be set. Wife just recently got promoted to 05, so need to complete 3 more years to retire. One more duty station and we are going to call it quits. I have retired at 23 at 05 and she will retire at 30 at 05. We are both medical professionals with the desire to work part time. We should be fine.

Thank you for your time.

Sounds like you are in the same situation as my wife and I. I declined O5 to retire at 24, and my wife gets promoted to O5 next year.

The only thing that keeps me working is putting three kids through private school and our house where we had to build a Granny flat for my Mom in HCOL Northern VA. Other than that we are debt free.

Although I have a pretty good deal with a work from home job with a West Coast tech company, every evening when I am in meetings missing time with the kids I think about cutting costs, homeschooling, and going full FIRE.

Sounds like you are in the same situation as my wife and I. I declined O5 to retire at 24, and my wife gets promoted to O5 next year.

The only thing that keeps me working is putting three kids through private school and our house where we had to build a Granny flat for my Mom in HCOL Northern VA. Other than that we are debt free.

Although I have a pretty good deal with a work from home job with a West Coast tech company, every evening when I am in meetings missing time with the kids I think about cutting costs, homeschooling, and going full FIRE.

Congrats to you and your wife in your accomplishments. True dedication to retire from the military. We live here in NOVA as well. Although, we are due to PCS next year. Our kids are grown, with one in college. The post-911 bill paid for both our kids. We are debt free as well, and really have no reason to work except for keeping licensure and having a little extra money. Awesome to hear there are others.

Wow! So you are at aprox $4600-$4800 or so. Guessing you have some VA dis but we'll assume 0. DW is at $9200 plus BAH at $3654. That's over 17K/month not counting your VA dis (?) or mom's Social Security. Also, the BAH is tax free. I'm guessing you could probably FIRE right now. But only you know if your #'s work. That's over 200K (not counting Mom's SS and your VA dis(?) to sit at home and watch TV. But yes, Northern VA is very expensive. Good luck on the DW promotion to O5 and the PCS. We are a bit behind you with a 21 yr CWO4 and 23 yr O4. One at 20% and one at 90% VA dis. Kids are grown and gone. GI bill paid for their college. A very nice add on towards the end of our careers.

Wow! So you are at aprox $4600-$4800 or so. Guessing you have some VA dis but we'll assume 0. DW is at $9200 plus BAH at $3654. That's over 17K/month not counting your VA dis (?) or mom's Social Security. Also, the BAH is tax free. I'm guessing you could probably FIRE right now. But only you know if your #'s work. That's over 200K (not counting Mom's SS and your VA dis(?) to sit at home and watch TV. But yes, Northern VA is very expensive. Good luck on the DW promotion to O5 and the PCS. We are a bit behind you with a 21 yr CWO4 and 23 yr O4. One at 20% and one at 90% VA dis. Kids are grown and gone. GI bill paid for their college. A very nice add on towards the end of our careers.

You pegged the amounts. Add $2600/mo VA.

The only thing keeping me from FIRE now is expensive private school and my desire to buy property in Idaho and Argentina.

I do want to do more with the boys. They are 7 and 5 now, so I need to do it soon. RV trips and MAC flights during their school breaks sounds awesome!

Back
Top Bottom