5 Ideas That Will Reshape Your Retirement

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just a good summary of ideas to make the most of your retirement years, before it's too late. Something DW and I try to keep in mind NOW, while we're still able to enjoy more. Even if you know all these things, it seems good things to remind ourselves of...
  • Think in Times, Not Years
  • Safety Gap $
  • Maximum Enjoyment Points
  • Rethinking the Value of Your Time
  • The Centenarian Decathlon

Interesting video Midpack. Thanks for posting.

I've read Attia's book and it's worth reading. He just published it this Spring.
I have it on hold with my local library, but there’s LONG wait.

Last edited:
I've read Attia's book and it's worth reading. He just published it this Spring.

I’m 2/3 of the way through. It is a FANTASTIC book. As a physician myself (who doesn’t do adults, only kids) I trust him to review the literature and distill it down to actionable points for me. Highly recommend it.

I have it on hold with my local library, but there’s LONG wait.

I'm a follower of his website and watch his podcasts that I am interested in. I bought the book for around $20 from Amazon right after he published it. I lent it out to my ROMEO group for reading and passing along to the members. I may never see it again! :D

Interesting video! Thanks for sharing. I placed a hold for the book with my local library. Fortunately, the wait is only a few weeks. I actually started listing to Peter Attia’s podcasts about 3 years ago because someone on this site recommended him.

Great video, DH and I watched together.
I will order the book from our library today.

Very interesting. I think most of us have a general idea of these concepts, but it's good to see them laid out to see where we stand and if we're maximizing the life we have left. Thanks for the site/video.

Very interesting. I think most of us have a general idea of these concepts, but it's good to see them laid out to see where we stand and if we're maximizing the life we have left. Thanks for the site/video.
Exactly. We’re trying to be conscious of that NOW.

The first point of thinking in how many more times will something be experienced jogged my memory of wheeling into a hospice facility an elderly gentleman on the stretcher. It was starting to rain. He asked that we pause to leave him in the rain for a moment. He remarked it was the last time he will ever feel the rain.

That put a lump in my throat.

The first point of thinking in how many more times will something be experienced jogged my memory of wheeling into a hospice facility an elderly gentleman on the stretcher. It was starting to rain. He asked that we pause to leave him in the rain for a moment. He remarked it was the last time he will ever feel the rain.

That put a lump in my throat.

Wow! That would tear at your heart. I guess that's another reason I hope I go quickly, so I won't have to realize I've done this, that or the other for the last time.

With moving from where we had lived for 25+ years at retirement, I was very conscious of all the "last time" milestones I was going through in those last months of work and at home.

For me, that started with my last business trip, about 4 months before my last day of work.

On another subject, the video made me wonder whether my wife and I will regret choosing not to take more money from our retirement accounts to increase our standard of living in the past 2+ years, which was our gap between the end of a retirement incentive and our first Social Security payment.

Last edited:
That was a good video. One reason I have been going to Europe more frequently is because I am aware that at this age I don’t know how long I will be able to. I think about when I went in my 40’s and physically was able to do things I can’t do now. Particularly eye opening was when he talked about for instance how many more times you will get to experience something.

Wow! That would tear at your heart. I guess that's another reason I hope I go quickly, so I won't have to realize I've done this, that or the other for the last time.

I realize I've done a lot of things for the last time. There are things I survived as a Ute that would kill me now for sure.

Thanks for the link, Midpack. I'm putting it on hold too.

I realize I've done a lot of things for the last time. There are things I survived as a Ute that would kill me now for sure.

Thanks for the link, Midpack. I'm putting it on hold too.
I couldn’t wait (#97 on my library list), so I bought OUTLIVE on Amazon. I’m about 1/4 of the way in so far…

Good video. Thanks for posting it.

I also have the book on hold at the library.

Very interesting video providing a good perspective on making the most of the limited time you have left. I liked how he emphasized that aging inevitably comes with declines but that putting in the effort to build strength & stay healthy can really pay off. I took a screen shot of the "centenarian decathlon" page & will save it for inspiration (I'm VG with balance but need to work on strength).

Good video. Thanks for posting it.

I also have the book on hold at the library.

After yours and others comments about reading or getting this book from the library, I went to reserve it at my library and took my 4 year old grandson. We’ve been back 2 more times and he is loving going to the library with pop pop. They even gave him his own library card that he is so proud of!.
I’m enjoying this time and this new experience immensely as well.

What I appreciated was the graph illustrating rate of diminished health, i.e., quality of life, between average people vs master athletes. The master athletes live a bit longer, but most striking to me is that they live better for a considerably longer of time.

Remaining active and in good cardio condition are lifetime objectives for DH and I, but not due to some misplaced idea that self flagulation will increase our lifespan. Its because being active is so much freaking fun, gives us scads of residual energy, plus you get to eat afterwards and not have it affect your health or weight.

The other striking point to me was the ridiculousness of stressing over financial market blips when we've already won the game. That is one I'm guilty of more often than I'd like.

I was listening to a recent podcast from Peter Attia. In the last half they get into a discussion of protein requirements for we elderly people. The increased need for quality protein is higher than I thought. . I didn’t know that it’s best to stretch your protein consumption over the day otherwise a lot goes down the toilet, literally.

The protein discussion begins at about 2:05. IMO, the best info starts at the one hour mark and goes to the end.

https://peterattiamd.com/rhondapatrick2/

Warning: Attia goes deep into the technical weeds with plenty of medical and biological jargon that lay people will not understand well.

Last edited:
I'm now about halfway through Outlive, with the best part (I think) yet to come. It has been more thorough than I like but that may be necessary to grasp the rest (so I dutifully read), and it is interesting and well written so far. The chapter on cancer was fascinating to me.

Back
Top Bottom