A cold hating Pennsylvania man in Florida

Really? Watching the news I get the impression most of the state has been wiped out two or three times in the last decade

Not in Tampa where I live.
Even Irma "only" reached ~65-70 mph when passing through.
There were many hurricanes in FLA during 2004/2005. Only 1 of them "Charley" was within striking distance of Tampa.

Perhaps lucky. :D

Not in Tampa where I live.
Even Irma "only" reached ~65-70 mph when passing through.
There were many hurricanes in FLA during 2004/2005. Only 1 of them "Charley" was within striking distance of Tampa.

Perhaps lucky. :D

That’s not what the news says though :LOL:. The entire state gets a giant target on it every time there’s a tropical depression forming in somewhere. The cone of probability covers everyone (and often includes W2R in Louisiana of course just in cases!). We’re always surprised there’s even a palm tree left standing when we visit (again, that’s the news:LOL:—and then the storms veer off and we don’t even get a “never mind”).

After sheltering-in-place during a low Cat-1 hurricane (Irma) I'll seriously consider getting out of town if it appears that a stronger hurricane is on the way. :hide:
I did the same for low Cat-1 Hurricane Cindy, about two months prior to Katrina. Scared me to death. F was out of town, so I was home alone and the roof was lifting up and down and with all the squeaking it sounded like it would come off any minute. Then I started hearing the BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! shaking the ground as nearly all of the (large, mature) oak trees on my block were blown down. All I could think about, was "please let me get through this!" and luckily, I did. Hurricane Cindy was classified as just a tropical storm and not even a hurricane when it struck us, until a year or two later.

In our location, we are firm believers in getting out of town for larger storms. Even if we, and our houses, survive, then we might have to leave right afterwards as many did after Katrina, due to no water, no sewerage, no electricity, no trash service, almost no passable streets, almost no food available, no businesses open, deserted neighborhoods except for roaming looters, and so on. It's just not fun living in rubble. We'd rather be in a nice, safe motel up north, in comfort, until enough is restored that we can begin repairs.

Our Home is walking distance from the beach on an Island on the Atlantic side. Home owners with Hurricane and a low deductible is $1400, Home is worth about ~$800k and is 3200sqft. Flood insurance is $440. We are in an X flood zone and do not need flood insurance, but I still buy it.

Last edited:
That’s not what the news says though :LOL:. The entire state gets a giant target on it every time there’s a tropical depression forming in somewhere. The cone of probability covers everyone (and often includes W2R in Louisiana of course just in cases!). We’re always surprised there’s even a palm tree left standing when we visit (again, that’s the news:LOL:—and then the storms veer off and we don’t even get a “never mind”).

This is true, but was especially true for Irma. :)

Many people misunderstand the "Cone", and they believe that it depicts the potential swath of destruction of the storm. Actually, it only represents the potential area the center ("the eye") of the storm may travel in. Historically, storms have traveled within the cone about two-thirds of the time.

IMHO-hurricanes are a regional boogieman, much like twisters to newbie Midwesterners and earth quakes to newbie Californians.

A few areas of FL have exposure to numerous hurricanes. Most areas of FL have very limited exposure (high winds, possible flooding, but no extreme damage). Googling a FL hurricane map shows the past exposures.

I once showed a newbie Midwesterner homes to buy. He refused to look at anything without a basement (twister fears). My experience of 50 plus years in the Midwest without having experienced a tornado did nothing to calm his fears.

Here is your google result. I don't see a lot of safe zones in Florida. People convince themselves all of the time. My FIL was a believer that Daytona never got hit. Then he was hit by 3 in one year.

https://www.news-press.com/story/ne...-florida-storms-path-past-100-years/91637546/

Our Home is walking distance from the beach on an Island on the Atlantic side. Home owners with Hurricane and a low deductible is $1400, Home is worth about ~$800k and is 3200sqft. Flood insurance is $440. We are in an X flood zone and do not need flood insurance, but I still buy it.

What insurance company will cover a 3200 sf home near the beach including wind coverage for 1400 and have a low deductible?
Usually the named storm deductible is atleast 2% or more and 1400 is really cheap regardless.

What insurance company will cover a 3200 sf home near the beach including wind coverage for 1400 and have a low deductible?
Usually the named storm deductible is atleast 2% or more and 1400 is really cheap regardless.

For us, the home insurance is $861 yearly for a 2,886 sf home which includes a $8.2k hurricane deductible.
We are 1 hour from the beaches.

Really? Watching the news I get the impression most of the state has been wiped out two or three times in the last decade

You must be watching the fake news. : )

Most of the state has been affected by hurricanes at least a couple of times since the 2004 hurricane season, but this is far from being "wiped out". Some specific areas have gotten hit very hard, but this is not true for the entire state.

So, what do all the Florida newbies do to insure their homes against hurricane damage?
In addition to the hurricane coverage in a homeowners insurance policy (which typically just will cover the wind damage), people should strongly consider getting flood insurance. The flood insurance is what will cover a home if they are affected by storm surge near the coast, or if they are damaged by fresh water flooding due to rain.

Florida a Paradise with the usual flaws.

I added this new topic because my post about my Florida visit got a bit sidetracked into a discussion about Hurricanes and insurance. All very relevant...

Yesterday we all had family dinner with my BIL/SIL#3 in another gated community. In a nearby but, I’m told less desireable town. You enter the neighborhood and get past the guard and are immediately reminded of the movie the matrix. Their home is a mile and change from the gate. You pass many similar homes. Still their home is lovely: pool, stone work, 13ft ceilings, stone counter tops, stainless appliances, Pricey huge ceiling fans. We sit outside at a huge table under a roof in the pool screened in area. Outdoor living- when it isn’t too hot. The houses in these neighborhoods are close together - you hear everything. The landscaping gives visual privacy. I am warned “Old Toothy” patrols the big lake out back - I keep the old pooch away from the water.

After a nice meal, on the way home SIL#2 tells us that there is a service road for emergency services that leads to the back of the development. The road isn’t locked and there have been some issues with bad guys using it as a way to gain access to the development. She explained that like it or not crooks are attracted to the ‘well healed’. It explained why my BIL had an automatic within reach in his bedroom.. Yikes. It appears the police and security have gotten a handle in the problem.

My SIL/BIL are a part of the NYC/LI/NJ real estate mogul generation. Buy a home years ago for $50K and sell it at retirement at $700,000+. I have no doubt the community is full of them. Full disclosure the Mrs and I are to a lesser extent too.

I was aware of the traffic, the congestion and crime but somehow I now am a bit put off by it. Before retirement I was a casual observer now it is all too real. Today it will hit the low 80s with the humidity matching - the a/c is on.

Last edited:
Don't paint with too wide a brush. We've lived in 3 different Florida residential complexes... all ungated... and never felt unsafe and have never had an issue or heard of one.

Don't paint with too wide a brush. We've lived in 3 different Florida residential complexes... all ungated... and never felt unsafe and have never had an issue or heard of one.

I appreciate that the service road issue seems to be unique to that development. I think my point was nothing is perfect...

I appreciate that the service road issue seems to be unique to that development. I think my point was nothing is perfect...

And what/where is? Gated communities almost all give up some state/county services, or have work arounds for them. I wonder how safe your friends would feel if the service road were closed, limiting access for fire trucks and ambulances but blocking more "bad dudes".

Gated communities can give a false sense of security. Criminals don't all drive cars, or give up because some minimum-wage guard sits in a box at the front.

And none of this is unique to Florida, or any other state.

My wife and I made two trips to Florida this winter: The Keys and Orlando. We stayed a week in/around each location and did the typical touristy stuff, saw some night life, did all the highlights. Keys were in late November, Orlando in late January. Each trip FIRMLY set in stone that we will not be snowbirding, vacationing, retiring, and possibly not visiting Florida again at any point. While there, we just weren't sure what was so captivating about a place that has bugs 12 months a year, where you must run your A/C almost 11 months a year, and the cost of living (like the OP noted) if you want to feel "safe" is extremely high. The safety issues you speak about do not surprise me at all, as there were several times that we felt unsafe while we were there. I suppose if you had a TON of money each location would be entirely different from what we experienced, but for the common middle-American who is retiring...PASS.

The West Coast gets hit a lot harder than the East... typically. Naples up to Punta Gorda. Whenever we drive through Naples there always seem to have tarps on the roofs. But then we do not go there that often. The last time was 3 months after Irma and it was a mess. Not to mention the traffic which is what REALLY put us off buying there.

For us, the home insurance is $861 yearly for a 2,886 sf home which includes a $8.2k hurricane deductible.
We are 1 hour from the beaches.

Our deductible is $2k It cost us an extra $65 or so to bring it down from the $9k. I thought it was worth it.

We have never felt unsafe in our area. We are a gated Country Club community. Upscale according to realtors, but I would debate that.

Orlando and the surrounding areas are not a measurement on Florida lifestyles, in fact Orlando is an example of where NOT to live. Visit OK. Live... No.

The Keys are Great, getting there though all the South Miami Burros is a different story.

Florida a Paradise with the usual flaws.

strobot “While there, we just weren't sure what was so captivating about a place that has bugs 12 months a year, where you must run your A/C almost 11 months a year, and the cost of living (like the OP noted) if you want to feel "safe" is extremely high. The safety issues you speak about do not surprise me at all, as there were several times that we felt unsafe while we were there.”

Simple the lure to me is sunshine.. my Pennsylvania home doesn’t have the harshest climate in the states by far. There are however a good 3-4 months of what I call ‘the cold gray’. No issue if you are going to work for 8-10 hours a day but if you are retired.... for others think winter in North or South Dakota, Minnesota, Chicago.
Bugs yep plenty but, the screens keep them at bay.

Me the issue is more the growing congestion. We have seen vast tracks of land being developed... 10,000 boomers in the US turn 65 each day. Plenty of buyers.

Last edited:
Me the issue is more the growing congestion.

This is a growing problem, especially on the West coast which is just about unbearable in season for us.

Out on the east coast it is getting worse but I would say it is about 1/5th of the West coast in season.

Living near the beach helps with the bugs and the heat. The breezes are pretty much constant year round. We have not used our AC at all this year..... YET.

Remember anywhere inland in Florida is going to be brutal from a heat perspective.

Our deductible is $2k It cost us an extra $65 or so to bring it down from the $9k. I thought it was worth it.

Agree.
A friend has something similar. I am fairly sure that I can do something similar after a year, but not right away. (Just got the insurance).

I have lived in gated and guard gated and they are completely different. A gated community just slows a criminal down although a good number you just bunch in *1234 or 1234* and you get in or #. Try it on yours and see! Guard gated takes a little effort generally. Although as the OP points out they had a security flaw. I also know of one guard gated where you just say you are going to the country club to golf and they let you right in without even calling the starter to check. So as the op says nothing is perfect. I am sure it's stupid but I am more concerned about alligators and bugs in FL as I do not think I want to live with an abundance of either.

Back
Top Bottom