A failed Early Retirment

This is the main reason I stay away from the base PX/BX and/or commissary. It's full of retired folks that want to pontificate about how things were so much better in their day and how they would run things so much better if they were still in. When I hear this, I just want to yell out, "You were full of it back when you were in and you are even more full of it now, so shut your pie hole and move over, you are in the way and I can't grab that box of Ho Ho's."

As to a responsibility, I can't speak to the world of physicians, but I do know that there are way too many lawyers. Not a "lawyers belong at the bottom of the ocean" kind of joke, but in that schools are putting out about 40,000 grads when there are only 20,000 jobs. When I was still in the Air Force, I felt it was in EVERYONES best interest if I moved along. I was tired, burned out and was taking a seat that someone else would have LOVED to have. And guess what? Even though I was at the VERY TOP of my game when I punched out, the AF did just fine after I left...but if was still in, let me tell you how I could make it SOOO much better.... :D

This is sooo true. I could have written this myself. Laughing so hard

I was at the local AFB in Jan 1999 because my GF at the time needed to update her ID card prior to going to Korea. Then June of 2016 because I needed a new ID card prior to getting too old.

They, if they are flooding the zone with lawyers why do they still make so much money? It doesn't work that way with janitors.

They, if they are flooding the zone with lawyers why do they still make so much money? It doesn't work that way with janitors.

Most of them don't, at least not according to the NAPL survey. There is a bimodal distribution with BigLaw guys making good money and the average lawyer earning around $80,000 or less.

Interesting read. I'm a dentist so I can understand what this guy went through- I myself am trying to decide if I should hang it up now at 53. I don't necessarily agree with some of the reasons he gave to not retire, especially the first two- but can see his viewpoint.

My scheduled retirement at 60/61 barely qualifies as early, but I'm not going to call myself a failure if I decide to return to full-time work in a year or two.

Don't think I'll do that, but it's not a failure unless it's a miscalculation you can't fix with either reducing expenses or a job/business you can get and keep.

I have a friend who would make this DocLawyer's head spin. She went to med school, completed residency, then QUIT. She realized about the time she was starting residency that she really didn't like being a doctor. She completed the program just to finish it.

My step mom's oldest daughter did something similar - got her MD, specialized in pathology when she realized she didn't like working with patients... and has been 'retired' ever since.

Their choice.

I'd rather have trained doctors decide to hang it up rather than practice out of some sense of obligation... I want my doctor to actually be engaged/involved in the practice of medicine... not just practicing because they feel obligated because of all the training.

It is always interesting but never surprising how whenever someone is quoted as not agreeing that ER is better than sliced bread, members here raise hell about how wrong, misguided and or stupid that person is.

Really, it is that certain?

If you have enough money, and the stress of working is getting to you and nothing seems to help, sure, ER is at least a partial solution. But IMO it really can't cancel all life's stresses.

A negative to at least some people is that to be a consumer rather than a producer is kind of a comedown. And this has nothing to do with some idea that you are indispensable, but rather that you might rather be the agent than the client.

Ha

While I wasn't saving lives, or making the world safe for democracy, I did my job, saved a few bucks, and donated a few more to charity, and thus fulfilled any ethical requirements...

It is always interesting but never surprising how whenever someone is quoted as not agreeing that ER is better than sliced bread, members here raise hell about how wrong, misguided and or stupid that person is.

Who would have ever guessed that sort of thing would take place on an internet forum called "Early Retirement"? :cool:

I think most of us don't mind if somebody else does not ER. What gets our dander up is when somebody else tells us that "For your own good, you should not retire early and here are all the problems you will have it you do." Those "you" statements are usually guaranteed to upset people.

Some of us also get upset when people blame ER for problems that were masked by being employed. Such as lack of a life outside of work, not having good relations with the family, etc.

Who would have ever guessed that sort of thing would take place on an internet forum called "Early Retirement"? :cool:
I guess that properly cancels any expectation of individual thought, but it is still interesting and also suggests that one might apply a certain caution in interpreting "ideas" posted.

A discussion forum for early retirement does not automatically say that all comments should be positive, but only that they should be relevant. But I have seen that there is a different standard when it comes to internet boards.

This after all is an idea rapidly gaining adherents on campus and other places in our interesting times.

Ha

I have a friend who would make this DocLawyer's head spin. She went to med school, completed residency, then QUIT. She realized about the time she was starting residency that she really didn't like being a doctor. She completed the program just to finish it.

My step mom's oldest daughter did something similar - got her MD, specialized in pathology when she realized she didn't like working with patients... and has been 'retired' ever since.

Their choice.

I'd rather have trained doctors decide to hang it up rather than practice out of some sense of obligation... I want my doctor to actually be engaged/involved in the practice of medicine... not just practicing because they feel obligated because of all the training.

I think the author would take the most issue with someone who chose medical school with no intention of following through in a career in medicine. For example, someone who want the MD to get a better job in the medical device or pharmaceutical industry.

We should all be allowed to change our minds and live the life that works best for ourselves and our families.

Out of curiosity, the physician who chose to specialize in pathology -- did she retire early or become a pathologist? If it's the latter, I wouldn't suggest she 'retired' by not working directly with patients all day long. A pathologist is just as much a doctor as your family practitioner, pediatrician or internist -- in fact, they have longer residency training. They are essentially the doctor's doctor as nearly every specialty relies on their expertise in one way or another.

Best,
-PoF

I did my employer a favor by retiring early. They replaced me with a younger less expensive person who has more energy and does the job just as well if not better. I feel pretty good about my good deed. :)

This is sooo true. I could have written this myself. Laughing so hard

I was at the local AFB in Jan 1999 because my GF at the time needed to update her ID card prior to going to Korea. Then June of 2016 because I needed a new ID card prior to getting too old.

Years ago I was stationed in Pensacola, FL where there were a number of different Navy commands and, hence, there were frequent "Change of Command" ceremonies. I was invited to some of them and I noticed that there were a lot of the same retirees frequently present. Although I am very proud of my Navy service/career and happy to be an ER person, I never wanted to be one of those people who couldn't let go of the Navy or the company from the post-Navy "career". Back then I wondered if these retirees really knew all these incoming/outgoing commanding officers or if they had just somehow gotten themselves on a list of people who were invited to all the local C-of-C ceremonies. It struck me then, and still does, that it's kinda sad if they just attended them because they couldn't let go of the good old days. But, I guess there's no harm if that's what makes them happy. Just not my cup of tea.

If you have enough money, and the stress of working is getting to you and nothing seems to help, sure, ER is at least a partial solution. But IMO it really can't cancel all life's stresses.

A negative to at least some people is that to be a consumer rather than a producer is kind of a comedown. And this has nothing to do with some idea that you are indispensable, but rather that you might rather be the agent than the client.

Ha

I think this particular doctor was sort of asking for it by starting off claiming those who choose to ER are making an unethical choice. That is bound to rub people on an ER discussion board the wrong way.
Also this particular doctor clearly stated that another reason to not retire was because doctors are NEEDED - implying indispensibility. This is also arguable and in the NYC suburbs where the author of the piece practices it is laughable. There are TOO MANY doctors there. In most fields, if you live in a bigger city with higher cost of living you get paid more....not medicine. Doctors in the high density East and West Coast population centers earn LESS than those in rural and actually underserved areas. So unless the good doctor was going to move to South Dakota or even West Virginia, I call Bulls#!t on his claim of indispensibility. In fact, so many doctors I have known crave feeling like they are important so badly. Like the Navy guys mentioned above they come back to the hospital and hang out and pontificate in the lounges, slurping the free coffee. And they routinely not only attend lectures and grand rounds but they ALWAYS rise to ask a question which usually only demonstrates their pathetic need to feel relevant rather than illuminating a point or elevating the discussion. It is sad, but not surprising. Medicine is very demanding and it is hard to establish a life outside of it without making a concerted effort to do so.

Does he refer to just doctors or lawyers. One case might be true and the other not. The world needs less of one type and more of the others. But I think when people start out accusing others using loaded term like unethical, it's going to be bad reactions.

The good Dr. made a common mistake: you are either fully retired, or you aren't. He was not happy being fully retired. He is now happy with a change of career. FI allowed him to find that out. And having time on his hands (while retired) most likely led him to that revelation.

Not enough working people consider the option of changing careers to something more satisfying later in life, or working PT while "retired". You do have to the finances to pull it off, (but not as much needed to retire full time) and it could make your life fun again.

DW is fully retired. I have a PT hobby business I love. We have the flexibility to travel,
or whatever that we never had during our career job years. It works for both of us.

Would you mind sharing more about your PT hobby business? We just ER'd 7 months ago, but this is an option we've considered. Our biggest concern is that we're enjoying being ER'd so far and even a PT biz might feel like a job. Would appreciate hearing more about how you balance it and whether you were enjoying full retirement before you started your PT hobby business. Thanks!

We have an online store. A typical day takes about 2-3 hours, but enough to keep me occupied. All I really have to do each day is ship out a couple of orders or so (an hour), but there is always something to do if I want to. DW helps if I get behind.

The store allows "going on vacation" mode for days or even weeks at a time. So we travel when we want. When we snowbird, I take limited inventory with me to sell. But only because I want to, and enjoy it.

We could scrape by financially if I didn't do it, but I LOVE it. This takes all financial pressure off and provides $ for luxuries. I planned on this when I ERed (some would argue that I really am not RE), and it allowed us to walk away from career jobs 3-5 years early.

The store started as an outgrowth of a hobby, about 8 years ago. Have been at it more aggressively for the last 4 years.

Ha

Well said Ha........

Generally, we're not a very open minded group here.

My own feelings ref the good doc are that if he wants to do something rather than be retired, fine. It's his life, his time to spend. No criticism from me. If he feels like he has contributions to make that he is uniquely qualified to deliver, I say "go get it done doc"!

The only mistake he made was writing the article.

We have an online store. A typical day takes about 2-3 hours, but enough to keep me occupied. All I really have to do each day is ship out a couple of orders or so (an hour), but there is always something to do if I want to. DW helps if I get behind.

The store allows "going on vacation" mode for days or even weeks at a time. So we travel when we want. When we snowbird, I take limited inventory with me to sell. But only because I want to, and enjoy it.

We could scrape by financially if I didn't do it, but I LOVE it. This takes all financial pressure off and provides $ for luxuries. I planned on this when I ERed (some would argue that I really am not RE), and it allowed us to walk away from career jobs 3-5 years early.

The store started as an outgrowth of a hobby, about 8 years ago. Have been at it more aggressively for the last 4 years.

Good for you! Thanks for sharing.

"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”

The empty calendar reminded me of the above quote. The guy needs to look inward to find why he can't enjoy retirement rather than blaming the external factors.

Umm. I totally adore empty calendars.

I am a 60-something woman in a global technology firm. I am paid well, and put in commensurate hours (it's global, after all. 2 AM here is peak business time in Singapore. Or wherever). My daily responsibilities span multiple time zones.

Several years ago, I stopped going into "the *ffice" and started working from my kitchen table. The atmosphere had become malicious. Old male gossips huddling and hissing in increasingly empty hallways - worse than old women over their proverbial clotheslines.

One of the gossips was so desperate for new fodder that he blindly followed me into the ladies' room two years ago. Appeared to be astonished that that was where he found himself. Priceless!

I left my desk at the end of the day and commenced working from my kitchen table. Said nothing. Left all my stuff in place. Never threw down the gauntlet, or had a hissy fit. My VP never brought up my absence from the Seat of Power. The gossips would have tattled immediately. One of those "don't ask don't tell" scenarios.

I view my sparse personal calendar fondly. I LIVE for blocks of unstructured time, lol! -- and take care to reserve weekends and vacations for same. On reflection, what I do is benign. Saves commute time. Sets Chinese wall between self and the aging male gossips.

I may be shallow, I know, not filling up the personal calendar. Can't make a person change her wiring, though.

Absent the malice, w*rk is benign. Such as it is, my lifestyle has enormous financial benefit: I want peace and quiet, a good problem, and sane reports. After w*rk I'll drop the reports, and be free to read and walk the dog without setting alarm timers.

Man plans and God laughs.

Back
Top Bottom