A question for the car gurus

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What would be a fair price for a 1984, 4x4, manual trans. single cab pickup. It is pretty rough condition small dents but very little rust though and has a 22R engine. Frame looks solid and front end looks fine. I believe it runs but has low compression, needs muffler and new ignition switch. It has a flatbed on it.

What would it be worth now and it I fixed it up would it be worth buying.

I have always wanted a Toyota made in the 80's.

I used NADA’s website (but for my zip code):

IMG_0377.jpg

Last edited:
Toyota Hilux?

Not real sure what that the Hilux is. I did look it up and still not real clear on that make for the Toyota.

If I had to guess it isn't a Hilux model.

Also, does your state have an inspection? In MD for example (which has a very good/strong inspection program) anything that can pass inspection is worth about $2,500-$3,000 regardless of what else is going on with it. This matters in MD because any used vehicle has to pass the inspection within 30 days (maybe 60?) of being registered or it has to be inspected again.

Then again, if you're just going to use it on a farm and not drive it on roads then it doesn't matter.

If I had to guess it isn't a Hilux model.

Okay. The NADA estimate is for a 1984 Toyota standard 4x4 pickup. No mileage correction.

With “pretty rough condition small dents but very little rust” I would be closer to lower retail than average retail. Walt’s $2500 may be the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Also, does your state have an inspection? In MD for example (which has a very good/strong inspection program) anything that can pass inspection is worth about $2,500-$3,000 regardless of what else is going on with it. This matters in MD because any used vehicle has to pass the inspection within 30 days (maybe 60?) of being registered or it has to be inspected again.

Then again, if you're just going to use it on a farm and not drive it on roads then it doesn't matter.

No not something that is mandatory but of course it has to be street legal and have all required equipment.

Hilux is the name Toyota uses for the small pickup outside USA. Those 85 and older solid front axle Toyota trucks are desirable. 86 and newer went to independent front suspension. 22R engine is a good reliable choice.

I cant help with a price, but tough to beat a 1980's Toyota pickup. Good that the one you're looking at has a flatbed.

I had an 86. 4x4, single cab, manual. It had an extreme amount of rust in the sides and tailgate. And a high speed collision with a deer didn't help. I sold it to a junk yard in 1995 at around 170,000 miles. I would have kept it but the body was shot.

Pic was around 1993 before rust really took hold..

Attachments

• Toyota truck in snow.jpg
    Toyota truck in snow.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hilux is the name Toyota uses for the small pickup outside USA. Those 85 and older solid front axle Toyota trucks are desirable. 86 and newer went to independent front suspension. 22R engine is a good reliable choice.

Thank You for that clarification. Always learning something.

Just don't want to overpay but still would like it. It cost some money to get it to be a dependable truck. If I had 6500 in it after to make it a dependable, would it be worth that investment on a 40-year-old truck?

They are very desirable and have been going up in price. They are known for being extremely reliable. It would be worth a lot more if it had the original bed on it, IMHO. The closer to stock, the more value generally.

Look at Cars and Bids and Bring a Trailer for a general idea what a clean model may be worth.

They are very desirable and have been going up in price. They are known for being extremely reliable. It would be worth a lot more if it had the original bed on it, IMHO. The closer to stock, the more value generally.

Look at Cars and Bids and Bring a Trailer for a general idea what a clean model may be worth.

Thanks for the expert advice!!!

What’s the “asking price”?
Has got back with me yet on a price. He said he has been so busy he doesn't know up from down. I will contact him with a text message in the next day or so and see if he has made a decision.

I do want to have my ducks in a row and never have been about walking away from something I really want. Especially now in my life that I can pay more and not have to worry about it.

I believe it runs but has low compression, needs muffler and new ignition switch. It has a flatbed on it.

You don’t know if it actually runs? Low compression would concern me. I’d be looking at half of what the book says. Pass on this one and look for one in great shape (unless you want a project). BTD!

If I had 6500 in it after to make it a dependable. . .

I’d look to see what you could get for $5000 and see if putting $1500 into it would make it dependable. I’m thinking you might have to get that Toyota for next to nothing because it sounds like you’re going to have to put $6500 into it to make it run dependably. As was mentioned, also depends if you want a project.

I'd ask to do a quick wet/dry compression test. It would be nice to know if there are valve problems or cylinder problems. You could even poke an inexpensive endoscope camera into each cylinder, to see if the walls are scored. If they are, you'll need a new engine. Valve repair should be a lot cheaper than overhauling the cylinders- maybe they just need to be regapped.

IF you have to dig into the engine it is just as expensive to do as a larger engine is. Plan on 3~4K when you get done, if you fix it properly.
You might find a used engine for it for much less.

IF you have to dig into the engine it is just as expensive to do as a larger engine is. Plan on 3~4K when you get done, if you fix it properly.
You might find a used engine for it for much less.

I see a crate engine they want from 1800 t0 2000 dollars. To swap out engines labor is from 1000 to 1400 dollars.

Anytime you buy that old they can be costly because everything is old. I will have to get it dirt cheap or I won't buy it.

It might be a bad investment.

I have always wanted a Toyota made in the 80's.

I had an 84 Toyota 4X4 pickup. The damn piece of junk (Joking) was a BEAST.... We put that truck into places no sane man should drive a truck... and it always gots us back home..... EVEN ON 3 CYLINDERS ... a bit of a story.
My brother and I traded vehicles... We had a child on the way, he was single, traded the truck to him for his 69 Camaro. Later on, him and his Girlfriend got into hit and he goes to jail. She abused the truck to the point of throwing a rod and busted a hole in the side of the block.... and it still would run....
I put another engine in, and continued driving the truck till the transmission failed... got stuck in 3rd gear... drove it 12 miles back and forth to work by switching from low to hi range the rest of the week. At that point I parked it for parts.... poor old girl only had 432K miles on her.
We end up with a yard full Toyota's, 3 trucks, 2, 4Runners ,2 mid 70s Celica's and a great deal on a Cressida.
Ah the good old days

You don’t know if it actually runs? Low compression would concern me. I’d be looking at half of what the book says. Pass on this one and look for one in great shape (unless you want a project). BTD!
Reading through this thread, I think this is probably the best advice.

I had an 84 Toyota 4X4 pickup. The damn piece of junk (Joking) was a BEAST.... We put that truck into places no sane man should drive a truck... and it always gots us back home..... EVEN ON 3 CYLINDERS ... a bit of a story.
My brother and I traded vehicles... We had a child on the way, he was single, traded the truck to him for his 69 Camaro. Later on, him and his Girlfriend got into hit and he goes to jail. She abused the truck to the point of throwing a rod and busted a hole in the side of the block.... and it still would run....
I put another engine in, and continued driving the truck till the transmission failed... got stuck in 3rd gear... drove it 12 miles back and forth to work by switching from low to hi range the rest of the week. At that point I parked it for parts.... poor old girl only had 432K miles on her.
We end up with a yard full Toyota's, 3 trucks, 2, 4Runners ,2 mid 70s Celica's and a great deal on a Cressida.
Ah the good old days
LOL! Yep those good old days are just memories now. I know they were built to keep on and never stop.
Thanks for the history story good times. Hope all is going well with you Sir.

Reading through this thread, I think this is probably the best advice.

I think so too. I really do appreciate your insight on the truck. I can get tunnel vision on things like this and sometimes they never turn out the best decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom