Accurate Treasury rate predictor?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I came into a significant windfall, and want to park it in Treasuries. I have a Treasury Direct account so I know I can purchase new securities through that, but of course the final interest rate is not known at time of making the purchase. What resources are there to get a good gauge of the likely rate?

I came into a significant windfall, and want to park it in Treasuries. I have a Treasury Direct account so I know I can purchase new securities through that, but of course the final interest rate is not known at time of making the purchase. What resources are there to get a good gauge of the likely rate?

Which kinds of treasuries are you interested in purchasing?

Cheers.
Big-Papa

For daily you can look at the secondary market. The auctions tend to be close.

The Treasury samples the secondary market so you can get an idea. This just covers T-Bills: https://home.treasury.gov/resource-..._bill_rates&field_tdr_date_value_month=202312

It might be better to purchase and manage your treasuries through a brokerage. You can participate in the auctions. You can also use the secondary markets if you wish.

Last edited:
Buying through Treasury Direct doesn’t allow selling if desired. You can transfer treasuries to a brokerage to sell, but they don’t make it easy.

Buying on secondary is a sure thing, but entails capital gain.
Not in my experience. As long as you hold to maturity the interest gets reported on a 1099-INT. If you sell prior to maturity it gets reported as gain.

I'm going to add to the chorus: please do not use Treasury Direct. Use a brokerage like Fidelity.

At auction, it still costs you nothing -- same as Treasury Direct. But here are the things you get in addition, that you won't get on Treasury Direct:

- Up to the minute market value
- Ease of selling to secondary market (huge advantage)
- Tools to analyze your effective yield, future recurring coupon income, etc.
- Texts and emails notifying you of your completed sale
- And probably more

Here's the one and only advantage TD has over brokerages:

- You can buy any amount, not just multiples of $1000

Back
Top Bottom