AirTag Tracking

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I would guess this has been talked about here but I couldn't find a thread.

Wondering if any of you use AirTag Tracking for your traveling and maybe for other purposes?

I'm not up on new tech things but seems like a very useful tool. The only problem I could see if a theft recognized the Tag they would remove and throw it away or destroy it.

I would think you could have them hidden in fabric of suitcase or hidden in car etc.....

Any experience or thought on the product?

Thanks

Yep I have an AirTag hidden in our suitcase, one on my jeep keys, one on my truck keys, and one in DW's purse. They work great. I generally use the ones on the keys to find my keys. Hasn't happened lately, so I may just hide them in the vehicles. And the suitcase one is great - I track our luggage just to make sure it isn't lost. Same with DW's purse AirTag.

Just saw on the local news where a lady had her car stolen. She had an AirTag in it and they tracked it and retrieved her car in Chicago 60 miles away.

We have a AirTag hidden in each of our cars and one on each key-chain. Works great. They do have batteries that eventually will need to be replaced so you don't want to hide them in a place that's real hard to get to. My only complaint is each AirTag can only be attached to one apple account. So if you lose your phone along with your car you're out of luck. You actually need two apple devices such as a iphone & ipad so you can use the ipad to find your phone if you lose it. Of course we don't carry around a ipad, it stays at home. Also there's this general issue with privacy. My wife and I don't track each other, but in case of an emergency we would like to find each other. It's a tough problem to solve.

I have one that I keep in my suitcase and one on my keychain. Bonus: when traveling I can use the suitcase AirTag location to find my way back to my hotel!

My grandchildren think it's fun to track their parents when I let DS or DDIL use my car.

We bought a new car and also an AirTag. I disassembled the tag and pulled out the little beeper.

For something like a car you do not want the bad guy (or girl) to know you are tracking it as they will find and remove that tag. There are a few good YouTube shorts on how to remove the tag's beeper.

We bought a new car and also an AirTag. I disassembled the tag and pulled out the little beeper.

For something like a car you do not want the bad guy (or girl) to know you are tracking it as they will find and remove that tag. There are a few good YouTube shorts on how to remove the tag's beeper.

Even with the speaker removed, it will still make a tiny sound, so if you do this, it's important to stash it carefully.

Wow!
Interesting stuff. I see prices of 4 pack ~ 90$. Is that a good price? You would think a product would be made without a notification alarm but still track.

Wow!
Interesting stuff. I see prices of 4 pack ~ 90$. Is that a good price? You would think a product would be made without a notification alarm but still track.

That's a typical price. And the beeper is there as an anti-stalking protection.

A friend's expensive bike was stolen.It had an air tag hidden inside.
She could track it to an appartment, involved the police and got the bike back. The police could hear the sound through the appartment door.

We bought some a few weeks ago and used them for a recent trip. We put one in my suitcase and one in DW's suitcase. It was nice to be able to see that the luggage was loaded onto the airplane. Also, we boarded our flight in Chicago, pushed back, and then there was an engine problem and we had to go back to the gate and switch to another aircraft. It was good to be able to confirm that our luggage had been transferred. DW also checked their location while she was waiting at the luggage carousel when we returned home. I have an Android phone but she has iPhone so the app runs only on her phone.

I just turned off notifications that DH’s AirTag was following me!

Last edited:
I have one that I keep in my suitcase and one on my keychain. Bonus: when traveling I can use the suitcase AirTag location to find my way back to my hotel!

My grandchildren think it's fun to track their parents when I let DS or DDIL use my car.

That’s a clever use - find your hotel, ha ha.

We don’t need an AirTag to track our car as our car reports its location directly. Use for various keychains and my purse and DH’s wallet and camera bag.

Last edited:
I have 5 of them. One hidden in my car. One in my wallet. One in my backpack. One in my suitcase. And one on my keychain.

It's fun to watch my devices move around (or not) when I'm traveling. So far, I haven't had a situation where I've needed to rely on them for anything other than entertainment. But maybe someday!

Wow!
Even wearing his cloths. Lol With cameras all over the place these days and eyes in the sky, catching these thieves should give some a second thought before stealing.

At the ranch I do have some game cameras up. I do have a few signs saying Carames in Useand have not had a problem in all these years. With being remote and one way in and one way out maybe helps with trespassers/thieves and such that are up to no good also.

With signs Cameras in UseI actually don't have hidden cameras. It is just a prop I believe has been a deterrent for bad actions.

Last edited:
We have one hidden in my DFIL’s car. He’s about to turn 90 and lies to us about where he goes. He always tells us he’s going to the Senior Center, but never does.

So, like, where does he actually go:confused:

Heh heh…mostly he just drives around for a few hours. Sometimes stops at diners. He’s gone as far as three hours away from our home. Just wants to get out of the house for a while I guess.

We have one hidden in my DFIL’s car. He’s about to turn 90 and lies to us about where he goes. He always tells us he’s going to the Senior Center, but never does.

I like that idea.

Sort of like when our kids told us they were going to the library. From now if the kids ask where I am I'll tell them it's the senior center. They don't have to know whom I am really with. :D

I love the concept of airtags, but am not an I-phone user. The tiles, and other android versions don't seem as good.

LOL!!! He is old enough to not have to answer to no one!!! Lol

I'm thinking maybe I should start wear one. If I got lost my wife would know where to find me if I fall over someplace.

Just yesterday a body was found near our neighborhood by a lady out for a walk. This was the man that disappeared from his home. He had dementia and his wife lost track of him.

Many people searched all over for him a few weeks. So much was put into the fruitless search. There were constant alerts sent out. It would have been so simple to have him wearing an Airtag (or equivalent).

My only complaint is each AirTag can only be attached to one apple account. So if you lose your phone along with your car you're out of luck. You actually need two apple devices such as a iphone & ipad so you can use the ipad to find your phone if you lose it.

Couldn't you just log in to icloud.com using any computer? I don't have an air tag, but the findmy app is available via the web.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom