Aldi's

Aldi's are not in fancy neighborhoods - I never heard of them before reading an article about them in September in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/b...p=1&adxnnlx=1228698124-eTNAN86rHAVtB7x6tv8Cig

But, Aldi's has changed my life - in spite of my stock losses and reduced SWR, Aldi's has allowed me to buy staples at more than 50% off their normal rate and given me confidence in my budget going forward...

Aldi is owned by two brothers, Theo and Karl Albrecth. They are the richest people in Germany. Aldi products were reviewed millions of times in Germany since they are mostly cheaper than the competition. As far as I remember their products were always found to be brand name products without the name printed on the packaging.

The shopping cart does not really 'cost' you anything. You just need a quarter to borrow the cart and get it back when you return the cart. It encourages people to return the carts to the proper location. It always works, at least here in South Carolina.

Their policy of no plastic bags comes from their home base in Germany. Most European countries outlawed one-time use plastic bags for environmental purposes. If you need a reason for this check: "The great pacific garbage patch"
Quote: "In reality, the rogue bag would float into a sewer, follow the storm drain to the ocean, then make its way to the so-called Great Pacific Garbage Patch - a heap of debris floating in the Pacific that's twice the size of Texas, according to marine biologists." Continent-size toxic stew of plastic trash fouling swath of Pacific Ocean

G...check out their crazy specials in their stores. While Aldi is primarily a low-priced grocery, they also sell the darnedest things weekly, everything from computers (for cheap cheap cheap) to camping gear and slow-cookers. ...

I agree! The first time I visited an Aldi's, they had small furniture pieces (step stools, framed mirrors, end tables) for stupidly low prices! I bought a framed mirror that has four bins at the bottom and hooks below for hanging keys, etc. for $15 -- beautifully finished all wood, no cardboard or fiberboard -- perfect for the back hall. A few weeks later, the Pottery Barn catalog had the identical item for $129!!

This week Aldi is selling a 6 gallon, 3.5 HP air compressor with 16 accessories for $99.99 -- DH looked at it and was impressed.

Oh, and Aldi's food is as good or better than about 99% of the major chains...their frozen pizza is a bit disappointing, though.

For example, I bought either Hefty or Glad tall kitchen trash bags at Walmart for an unbelievably low price. When I got them home, I saw that the .MIL rate (thickness) was .69. I basically had to double them to hold our daily household trash.

After that, the local grocery stores for trash bags with a .90 MIL.

I bought Aldi's tall kitchen trash bags (56 for $6.50) - the MIL rate is .95 (higher rate is stronger).

Come to think of it, I was unhappy when I bought the trash bags, too.
All else has been good though.

Free

Back
Top Bottom