All about Sport

Still hanging in playing hardball at 59, not looking forward to the day I can't compete. Local leagues here are over 35, so the competition is tough. Fortunately my teams average 55+, but we hang OK with the younger teams. Fall is tournament season, we travel to Phoenix to play in the 50+ and 55+ tournaments. We're heading to Cuba in November to play some games there. A lot of my social life revolves around these teams.

Took up mountain biking with my wife in the last couple of years, and I try to use my bike for errands as much as I can. Play a bit of
tennis and pickleball. Get out hiking pretty often, and kayaking not often enough. Figure I'd better do what I can while I can. I'd rather play games or do the outdoor activities than work out at the gym, but the workouts are kind of a necessity to keep the other activities going.

Watch some of the local high school teams in various sports, and I like baseball on in the background when I'm doing other things. Get out to the minor league ballpark a few times a year. And once or twice a year get up to Seattle for a couple of Mariners games.

Some day I'll have to deal with a post-sports life, but I'm not in any hurry.

Live sports is the main reason I still have cable. When someone comes up with a reasonable plan for live sports packages over the internet, bye-bye cable TV.

I was average at best in sports growing up, but in a way I think it contributed to my good physical health these days. For example, I was on the football team in high school, but wasn't a starter. I was on my college football team because they didn't cut anyone who came out for the team - but that didn't meant you would play in any games. I got into parts of maybe half the games during the year. The practices and limited playing time means today I don't have any injuries or deteriorating joints, whereas many of the best players on those teams have experienced a lot of physical infirmaries today.

As an adult I transitioned from more physical team sports (stopped playing tackle/lage football in my early 40's, full court basketball against my kids and their friends at 50) to more individual healthy sports (primarily biking and golf), which I hope I can continue into my 70s. The main team sport I play these days is volleyball, which interestingly is the sport where I have had the worst injuries (strained/torn thumb and finger tendons).

When my kids were growing up we would budget and take them to a couple of pro baseball/football/basketball games a year. At the time the venues were more family/budget friendly - for example, we would bring some snacks in and it was never an issues. But as those sports got big money, the family friendliness changed. The turning point was going to a pro football game and having to stand outside to eat a small bag of chips because they would not let us in with them ("either throw them out or finish them") and then proceeded to search us for any "hidden" snacks. When a small hot dog, fries, a box of candy and soft drinks for 4 people cost close to $100, that was it. Add to that the cost of parking (the team actually got the local government to ban walking a mile from a close by cheaper parking lot for "safety reasons". forcing you to take a shuttle bus and pay $20), and the hassle getting in and out of the stadium (you spend more time going and returning than at the game), and the increasingly rude fan behavior (why curse out/pick a fight with someone just because they wear colors of the opposing team?), and it just doesn't make it as much fun going much, even though I can more afford it these days. The minor leagues though, have kept things sane and we will go to the teams in our area.

A friend gets "Legends" tickets for Yankee Stadium and a group of us drive up a couple of times a year. THAT is a ridiculous experience that goes against all principles of frugality and common sense eating.:LOL:

I don't get the whole sports obsession at all. Never did. My only sports thing is going to my alma mater college football games once in a while. But I always look for cheap scalper tickets, if possible. $25 or less. If scalper tickets are too high, I just watch the game in a bar in town.

High school and college I was a huge Vikings football fan. Their defensive line - Purple People Eaters - were all well under 300 pounds. Alan Page, the dominant tackle at the time - played at about 235. I don't watch much pro football anymore and wonder how much longer it can last. The players are just too big and too fast. It has become brutal. With the helmets they now wear it could be robots playing. I think concussions will eventually end the game.

The thing I can't fathom is the fans that spend a huge amount of money on a ticket and then spend the entire game going back and forth to the concession stands buying crap food and expensive beer.

Last edited:
Jolly Stomper said - Live sports is the main reason I still have cable. When someone comes up with a reasonable plan for live sports packages over the internet, bye-bye cable TV.
Sports fan here too, but based on what I have read, We do not want individual ala carte pricing for sports if the current system broke down. Due to various packing of products many more consumers are stuck paying for sports than pay to watch it. They are in effect subsidizing us. ESPN currently receives about $5 per person currently subscribing. If they were to receive same total revenue, studies showed ESPN would have to charge about $30 per person so compensate for those who abandon. Regional sports packages like Fox Sports Midwest could sky rocket... Like a $1000 a year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom