NFL 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Philly we tried to figure out an outcome where both teams lose. We're still butt hurt form last SB, and the way this season fell apart.

KC and SF definitely deserved to be there last night. I really enjoyed the five quarters of Conspiracy Bowl I.

Andy Reid is a great coach, and obviously has changed and accomodated to the game. I think they are on track for a third SB next year.

But that missed PAT was the difference!

That was the game. I called it when they missed, ah, that's a FG and OT, and went to bed early lol.

Grats everyone who took the under.

I didn't care who won, but it was an entertaining game.

The last two drives by the Chiefs separated themselves from the 49'ers. I almost felt KC could have took another shot at the endzone before OT. They still had six seconds and only a few yards from the goal line.

Pretty good game, especially the 5th quarter.

Lots of great play, the only guy who’s not getting his due is Butker, including the longest FG is SB history. Clutch or what?

It turned into a good game, but the first half was underwhelming for both teams, especially KC O. But we all knew KC would make adjustments like all greats do.

Last edited:
I didn't care who won, but it was an entertaining game.

The last two drives by the Chiefs separated themselves from the 49'ers. I almost felt KC could have took another shot at the endzone before OT. They still had six seconds and only a few yards from the goal line.

+1. I was surprised that they didn't take another shot at the end zone for the win. But a sack or turnover would have resulted in a loss.

49ers are obviously great team. McCaffery is a stud.

But not yet a dynasty... any dynasty talk before they have won a Super Bowl or two in the last 5 years is foolishness.

The current 49ers (2019-2023) bring to mind the 1973-1977 Vikings, 1990-1993 Bills, or the 2001-2004 Eagles. Great teams, but no rings.

That missed point after TD cost the 49ers. It would have forced the Chiefs to have to go for it on 4th down, instead of kicking field goal and tying the game up at the end of regular play.

Hard to bet against Mahomes and Andy Reid. I actually thought it was boring the first half but I guess there were like 3 or 4 down the field and punt and a turnover in there so it seemed to start slow.

FG kickers put on an impressive show.
But that missed PAT was the difference!
Not necessarily. Because the Chiefs would have gone for the win in regulation.
Mahomes making a case as the GOAT -yes, better than Brady, who enjoyed outstanding pass protection and surrounded by loads of talent.
Some will want to debate, but Mahomes is way ahead of Brady in post-season win percentage (15-3 vs 35-13), only 28yrs old, and will keep winning.
I'm a Chiefs fan, but I wouldn't go there. The Chiefs don't even win this Super Bowl without good defense and special teams. A 57 yard field goal, blocked extra point, and a punt recovery. As far as being surrounded by talent, remember that Alex Smith led the league with a passing rating of 104.7 with the Chiefs before Mahomes became the starter. So Mahomes was put into a great situation. This season, Mahomes QB rating dropped to 92.6, and they relied more on a good defense. The future is uncertain, but it's way too early to talk about GOATs.

Even though I'm a Chiefs fan, and they pulled it off, the game left me feeling a little empty. There are past Super Bowls I enjoyed more, including amazing defensive game from Denver, the Brady comeback against the Falcons, the Giants ending Patriots' hope of going undefeated, and the 85 Bears crushing of the Patriots.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Because the Chiefs would have gone for the win in regulation.
I'm a Chiefs fan, but I wouldn't go there. The Chiefs don't even win this Super Bowl without good defense and special teams. A 57 yard field goal, blocked extra point, and a punt recovery. As far as being surrounded by talent, remember that Alex Smith led the league with a passing rating of 104.7 with the Chiefs before Mahomes became the starter. So Mahomes was put into a great situation. This season, Mahomes QB rating dropped to 92.6, and they relied more on a good defense. The future is uncertain, but it's way too early to talk about GOATs.

Even though I'm a Chiefs fan, and they pulled it off, the game left me feeling a little empty. There are past Super Bowls I enjoyed more, including amazing defensive game from Denver, the Brady comeback against the Falcons, the Giants ending Patriots' hope of going undefeated, and the 85 Bears crushing of the Patriots.

Yeah a little too early for any GOAT status vs. Brady. Not necessarily better than Montana at this stage.

I suspect 9 foot tall bronze statues of Mahomes are being erected on every street corner in Kansas City as I type this! :)

What a talent, and the K.C. defense was superb.

IMO, Super Bowl MVP is Chenal. He is the guy who blocked the 49’er extra point kick.
While it was a great defensive play, primarily it was blocked because it was so low, watch the replays.

While I appreciate not getting ahead of ourselves, there's nothing wrong with discussing Mahomes as a potential GOAT as he's further along for his age than Brady, but it's certainly too soon to draw conclusions. Mahomes is already on a very short list of standout QBs. Time will tell...

Is there another current NFL QB who you'd rather have with the ball in his hands for the final drive of a playoff game? Mahomes seems to be one of those rare truly clutch players like Michael Jordan, Steph Curry, Lebron James, Wayne Gretzky, Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, Lionel Messi, Ronaldo, Joe Montana, etc. The annals of sports are littered with guys with fabulous stats who lost when it really mattered more often than not, it's the ones who play better under extreme pressure that are far fewer.

Going down the list of postseason accomplishments, Mahomes is already among the all-time greats at quarterback. His 15 postseason victories trail only Brady (31) and Joe Montana (16), largely considered the two greatest quarterbacks in NFL history. Brady and Montana are also the other two quarterbacks with three Super Bowl MVPs (Brady has five and Montana has three).

Mahomes is the first player to win two NFL MVP awards and three Super Bowl MVPs before the age of 30. He's just the second player amongst the "big four" American sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) to have three championship MVP awards before turning 29 (Magic Johnson is the other) and the first player in NFL history to have three Super Bowl MVPs in a five-season span.

Since Mahomes has his third championship, only Brady (7), Montana (4), and Terry Bradshaw (4) are the quarterbacks with more NFL titles. Of course, all those quarterbacks, including Mahomes, have won back-to-back titles.

Last edited:
Grading quarterbacks on number of playoff games can be very misleading. Remember, it's a team sport, and rushing, defense, and special teams all play a part also. Mahomes was put into a very good spot with the Chiefs, who had a QB who led the league in passer rating the year before Mahomes became the starter. Perhaps few people would even know his name had he been drafted by the Bears. Too much credit is given to the QB when they win and too much of the blame for when they lose.

While I was definitely nervous, I wasn’t biting my nails. Niners gave it their all but Chiefs just had a little bit more. Greenlaw popping his Achilles was unfortunate but otherwise it was a clean, well played game.

Mahomes deserves his acclaim but it’s really the entire organization’s accomplishment. Veatch, Reid, Spags, and of course the Hunt family are all recognized by the true fans.

Is it too early to be thinking about next year? Draft a couple of receivers, convince Jones and Sneed to come back, dream of a three peat. It could happen, really.

Guess I should wait till after the parade but damn it’s a fun ride while it lasts.

At the very least, appreciate Mahomes for what he and the Chiefs have done and what they can still do.

While I was definitely nervous, I wasn’t biting my nails. Niners gave it their all but Chiefs just had a little bit more. Greenlaw popping his Achilles was unfortunate but otherwise it was a clean, well played game.

Mahomes deserves his acclaim but it’s really the entire organization’s accomplishment. Veatch, Reid, Spags, and of course the Hunt family are all recognized by the true fans.

Is it too early to be thinking about next year? Draft a couple of receivers, convince Jones and Sneed to come back, dream of a three peat. It could happen, really.

Guess I should wait till after the parade but damn it’s a fun ride while it lasts.

Well, he is the guy that handles the ball on every play, throws the pass, does the handoff, runs for yards on occasion, pumps up the offence in the huddle, stays cool under pressure (we hope), etc. He's the MAIN MAN and deserves a lot of credit.

Mahomes deserves his acclaim but it’s really the entire organization’s accomplishment.
Absolutely.

Well, their own players were already talking about it at the trophy ceremony. Mahomes said they're going to keep this thing going, and Kelcie said the goal was to win 3 straight but that they had to win 2 to get there.

After watching them for so many years come up short, the 2020 Super Bowl win was the sweetest for me.

Well, he is the guy that handles the ball on every play, throws the pass, does the handoff, runs for yards on occasion, pumps up the offence in the huddle, stays cool under pressure (we hope), etc. He's the MAIN MAN and deserves a lot of credit.

+1

Interesting that I never see "the team deserves the credit" comments mentioned with Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman. Old fans bias? :)

+1

Interesting that I never see "the team deserves the credit" comments mentioned with Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman. Old fans bias? :)

Bradshaw was never considered the key to the Steelers team. The Steel Curtain defense was, and he had great receivers in Swann and Stallworth to throw to, and Franco to run, and catch an occasional miracle deflection. Brady in the early days wasn't that well thought of, until the wins kept coming year after year. Montana maybe gets a little too much credit for the SB wins. Aikman was never an MVP (teammate Emmett Smith was) and I never heard any "greatest" comments about him.

Regarding the posted slaps on the wrist LOL-

I posted that Mahomes is making a case as the GOAT.
I did not say Mahomes IS the GOAT.

He's 28, already won 3 Super Bowls and led his team to 4 of the last 5.
If Mahomes continues that trajectory until retirement, nothing to debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom