All Season Tire Recommendation for Half Ton Pickup

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've got a 2018 Ram Big Horn with original Goodyear Wranglers, size 275/60R20, that are going to need to be replaced before the snow flies here in Minnesota. To be honest, the Goodyear's are pretty lousy tires since they already need replacing at only 30,000 miles. One good thing is they seem fairly quiet as far as road noise goes.

I drive almost exclusively on paved roads except for the occasional foray on rural dirt/gravel roads. I do not need, nor do I want an all terrain tire. I'm looking for:

Ride comfort
Ride quietness
Good traction in wet/snow/ice conditions
Decent treadwear, but doesn’t need to be excellent

I'll likely be selling the truck in 3 years or less so I don't want to spend big bucks on top-rated tires with 70K tread life if I'll only be owning them for 25% to 33% of their tread life.

Anybody with a pickup or SUV with all season tires or who has recently replaced all season tires have any suggestions?

My 2016 GMC Canyon OEM tires were Goodyear Fortitude HT and gave me 68,000 miles of good service. Like you, mostly paved roads with some dirt roads and rarely off-road.

Last month, I replaced the OEM tires with new tires of same manufacturer, model and size.

My local GM dealer had a price match special going so I got them locally for the same price that I could have replaced them at BJ's... $726 total for four new tires, mounted and balanced with disposal of the 4 tires including taxes. I also added a 4-wheel alignment for $130 that BJ's could not do, so $856 in total.

My 2016 GMC Canyon OEM tires were Goodyear Fortitude HT and gave me 68,000 miles of good service. Like you, mostly paved roads with some dirt roads and rarely off-road.

Last month, I replaced the OEM tires with new tires of same manufacturer, model and size.

My local GM dealer had a price match special going so I got them locally for the same price that I could have replaced them at BJ's... $726 total for four new tires, mounted and balanced with disposal of the 4 tires including taxes. I also added a 4-wheel alignment for $130 that BJ's could not do, so $856 in total.

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, when I go to tirerack.com I get this message: "This tire isn't available in size 275/60R20 for your 2018 RAM 1500 4wd Crew Cab."

Discount Tire says: "Product has been discontinued."

However, I'll keep looking for these.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Don't know if they are available in the size you need. Never had any issues with the Michelin LTX (later called Defender LTX) M/S tires.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Don't know if they are available in the size you need. Never had any issues with the Michelin LTX (later called Defender LTX) M/S tires.

Yes, the Michelin Defender LTX comes up a lot as highly recommended. Michelin is pretty proud of them too, as they are $291 a piece at Discount Tire. Since I doubt I will have the truck for more than another 25K miles I won't get full use of my money if I get these tires, which are rated for up to 80,000 miles. I'm not ruling them out though.

I've owned em all and I am very satisfied with the last two sets of Hankooks (sp?) on my half ton pickup. Good tires for the money changed them out at 60,000 miles still looking good.

I've owned em all and I am very satisfied with the last two sets of Hankooks (sp?) on my half ton pickup. Good tires for the money changed them out at 60,000 miles still looking good.

I had Hankook's on an F150 about 10 years ago and I liked that they were very quiet and took bumps and expansion joints well. Pretty good in the rain but not the greatest in snow. I'll have a look though. Thanks.

If low price is your goal I would go with the Kuhmo's (KUMHO CRUGEN HT51) that are available in your size. I buy at the higher end, but know people who have been very happy with this brand. Only $222 at TR.com and Discount Tire.

I just can't recommend the "off-brands" that tire stores sell. They may be fine, but tires just aren't something I'm willing to go too cheap with.

One thing I always do when I buy the first set of tires for a car is to adjust the tire size so that the speedometer reads accurately.

You can check speedo accuracy with a GPS. Get on a straight section of road at a constant highway speed per your speedo and have someone check the speed that a GPS reads. Usually the speedo is optimistic by 1-3 mph at 60 or 70. (so is the odometer).

Then make the same percentage adjustment to the tire diameter by selecting a different tire size. IIRC Tire Rack online specs show the diameters. If not the tire store guys have that information.

I like things to be accurate.

I've used Bridgestone Dueler HT on my Tahoe and very pleased with the ride quality and quietness. Bought them at Costco.

One thing I always do when I buy the first set of tires for a car is to adjust the tire size so that the speedometer reads accurately.

You can check speedo accuracy with a GPS. Get on a straight section of road at a constant highway speed per your speedo and have someone check the speed that a GPS reads. Usually the speedo is optimistic by 1-3 mph at 60 or 70. (so is the odometer).

Then make the same percentage adjustment to the tire diameter by selecting a different tire size. IIRC Tire Rack online specs show the diameters. If not the tire store guys have that information.

I like things to be accurate.

I've never heard of using a GPS to test accuracy of a speedometer. Will this work with the GPS of a smartphone?

I've checked my odometer for accuracy by using the mileage markers on the interstate. Using the one-tenth mileage readout on my odometer I have checked the accuracy over a 10 mile stretch of highway and the accuracy is spot on with the mileage markers, at least within the margin of error introduced when I checkmark the mileage marker on the side of the road and look down at my odometer for the readout.

If the odometer is accurate isn't the speedo by extension also accurate?

If low price is your goal I would go with the Kuhmo's (KUMHO CRUGEN HT51) that are available in your size. I buy at the higher end, but know people who have been very happy with this brand. Only $222 at TR.com and Discount Tire.

I just can't recommend the "off-brands" that tire stores sell. They may be fine, but tires just aren't something I'm willing to go too cheap with.

I will look into the Kuhmo's. I understand they are a huge name brand worldwide, but not so much in the US as they don't advertise much here.

I like the Falken Wildpeak all terrain tires on my old F-250 diesel 4x4. Real truck tires load range E. Quiet on the road, good bad weather traction, although never evaluated in deeper snow. Bought mine at Discount Tire.

I've used Bridgestone Dueler HT on my Tahoe and very pleased with the ride quality and quietness. Bought them at Costco.

Bridgestone Duelers came on my Jeep Wrangler. Nice quiet ride, but I only had them for about 15,000 miles until I put BFGoodrich KO2s on for winter and occasional off road use.

Yes, the Michelin Defender LTX comes up a lot as highly recommended. Michelin is pretty proud of them too, as they are $291 a piece at Discount Tire. Since I doubt I will have the truck for more than another 25K miles I won't get full use of my money if I get these tires, which are rated for up to 80,000 miles. I'm not ruling them out though.

I’d get the Michelins. Even if you’re only going to use them for 25K miles, that’s still a good bit of usage and you’ll be getting the best years/miles of those tires. I never skimp on tires. See if you can get them at Costco. They run sales on Michelins regularly.

2017 ram, I have Bridgestone ko 2’s

These are all-terrain tires and they are expensive at $329 each.

38Chevy454 said:
I like the Falken Wildpeak all terrain tires on my old F-250 diesel 4x4. Real truck tires load range E. Quiet on the road, good bad weather traction, although never evaluated in deeper snow. Bought mine at Discount Tire.

Another all terrain tire and one that is not available in my size. The Falken Wildpeak's seem to be the darlings of the various Ram forums.

I'm primarily looking for comfort and quietness in my tires. I don't go off road. That pretty much eliminates all terrain tires for me.

Last edited:
Bridgestone Duelers came on my Jeep Wrangler. Nice quiet ride, but I only had them for about 15,000 miles until I put BFGoodrich KO2s on for winter and occasional off road use.

Bridgestone Duelers are not available for my vehicle.

I'm running into this sizing problem a lot.

I’d get the Michelins. Even if you’re only going to use them for 25K miles, that’s still a good bit of usage and you’ll be getting the best years/miles of those tires. I never skimp on tires. See if you can get them at Costco. They run sales on Michelins regularly.

They are on sale for $100 off on a set of four. If Costco's pricing is similar to Discount Tire (and Costco was slightly more when I bought DW a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2's last winter) they will be approximately $250 each. Not bad at all, considering the tire.

They are also out of stock.

FWIW, Consumer Reports recommends the Continental TerrainContact H/T for All Season truck tires.

FWIW, Consumer Reports recommends the Continental TerrainContact H/T for All Season truck tires.

Yes, I just stumbled across that tire in my searches. Very interesting. Tirerack.com rates it higher than the Michelin Defender. I'm adding it to my prospect list. Discount Tire has it for $254.00.

Yes, I just stumbled across that tire in my searches. Very interesting. Tirerack.com rates it higher than the Michelin Defender. I'm adding it to my prospect list. Discount Tire has it for $254.00.
The Continental was the only all season truck tire that got a CR check mark recommendation. Although perhaps apples to oranges, I've been pleased with the Continental performance all season tires on my Genesis Coupe.

Back
Top Bottom