Am I the only one

Rocky mtn high

Recycles dryer sheets
Am I the only one who gets less sleep the higher the stash gets? It seems very odd but the higher it gets the less sleep I get. There’s plenty of money there, don’t even spend the dividends and interest. So what’s the worry?

Am I the only one who gets less sleep the higher the stash gets? It seems very odd but the higher it gets the less sleep I get. There’s plenty of money there, don’t even spend the dividends and interest. So what’s the worry?

Try dreaming about spending, not saving. Spending is easier! :LOL:

The more our “stash” increases, the better I sleep - just means our WR is that much lower…

Since you’re ahead - maybe you can reduce your equity allocation, reduce risk & volatility, and sleep better? I’ve slowly gone from 60:40 to 50:50 as our portfolio has grown.

Last edited:
I sleep fine either way... of course, currently 100% fixed income and overfunded so not anything to worry about.

With the way things are these days, (ex. inflation/bank failures, etc) I'm not sure how much is enough anymore. But, even with that said, the older I get, the less I worry about money.

I have likely 10+ years of assured cashflow without touching any capital. 7 figures of equities beyond that, some real estate and can start social security in as little as 18 months, if I so desire. I sleep well, unless my wife snores.

So, if a bit less money would help y’all sleep better, I’m happy to take some off your hands. You know, in the spirit of your improved health and all …

I used to. Especially since my spouse has little interest in these matters.

I decided to bite the bullet and engaged a fee for service financial advisor for the past 13 years or so. Part of the reason was to consolidate our investments and have some financial advice that DW could depend on should I get hit by a bus.

Now, I am at the point where I may look at the numbers every month or so but more often than not every quarter. I no longer fret if this or that went down a little or should I sell this one. The conversation is about allocations, risk, tax liabilities, and edu funds for each of our grandchildren.

I have confidence in the firm and in the advisory team. I am not looking for the highest return. I am looking for a reasonable return based on market conditions, based on my age and how adverse I am to risk.

I have far more financial resources than I imagined that I would ever have. I followed the advisor's advice 12 years ago and exercised most of my stock options at $44-52 against the strong advice of several of my knowledgeable colleagues. The stock subsequently hit 54, then it was gradually down to $15 in a year or so. Slightly under my strike price. Following the investment team's strong advice along with the reasoning behind that advice to me at that time was worth 7 figures to me.

Last edited:
Just as I thought, I am odd ;)

If it's truly messing with your sleep and keeping you from enjoying your retirement, you might want to find someone to talk to about it?

^^^^^
Isn't that what he's doing here. :) Might find he's not alone or the "nugget" that helps him. :)

Our stash is enough that we don't worry either way. We do pay quite a bit of attention to the stash, from a monitoring standpoint, but we adhere to our AA allocation religiously, rebalancibg annually: or more frequently if swings are bigger than normal.

I sleep fine. I log into Vanguard once a month to observe transactions, download a statement.

Have you tried a 5-mile run ever afternoon to wear yourself out?

Can you pin it down?

I could see lots of worries that might be milling about in your head, a small sample:
Fears that heirs will mishandle it?
The feeling that maybe you should give more away to charity?
Thoughts that you should live it up, but spending it makes you anxious?
Lurking desire to buy something big (vacation home, boat, etc.) but fear you don't have enough to do it?
General fear that you/spouse will lose it as you become older and vulnerable?
General malaise about getting older?

If you can pin it down, you might find actions you could take to settle you down. Note also that other things may be disrupting your sleep, so it may be worth it to go to a sleep doctor.

I don't want to spend time worrying about my portfolio. That's why I have it invested extremely conservatively. For me, worry would be a prime indication that my investment plan is flawed. I want something that will take care of itself when I don't have the time or inclination to mess with it that week or month. So, I designed my financial plan with this in mind.

Two years ago I unexpectedly ended up in a basement ICU in a town I'd never even seen, in Arkansas, for three weeks with extreme Covid double pneumonia (completely with extreme brain fog). Surprise! :LOL: But while there I knew that my only "job" was to get well. No need to worry about money. As we grow older, there's a lot to be said for a portfolio that doesn't need much attention.

So, my advice would be to review your asset allocation and figure out an investment plan that provides you with more peace of mind.

Back in 2000 in the tech boom madness, I lost sleep when the market went up like mad. Everybody was getting rich. Nobody would have to work. All the populace would need was to sell stocks back and forth between itself.

After the market crashed, I slept better. Things made more sense. Trees don't grow to the sky, and stock prices don't go to the moon as the Reddit kids now say. I like an orderly world.

But, but, but I don't see the market doing that now. Or does it? It has not reclaimed its new high yet. Some individual stocks are going banana, but the entire market is, well, just slightly overpriced.

In any event, if the market loses 1/2 or 1/3 from here, I am still OK. Been there, done that. Me worry?

poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

I can relate.

I grew up comfortably enough but it was tight. Had nothing but debt when I got out of college, and it was years before I had a positive tangible NW.

Once I turned the corner and started accumulating, there were occasional moments of anxiety. What if the job goes away or I blow it? Those kinds of questions about being able to continue to build the stash and managing it responsibly.

They have never gone away for me, but the questions have evolved. Now they are about how much to spend down vs setting up the kids and how to best enjoy what I decide to spend.

While everyone is different, don’t think you’re a singleton[emoji6]

Appreciate all the input. I do think I sleep a little better when the market is down a little , very odd. And yes I think it might be a few things.
Such as how heirs will handle it.
And I should spend more etc.

I think most of us on this form have been very fortunate and with that comes responsibilities.

My sleep is not affected by the market machinations. My portfolio is simple and my AA is conservative. Having invested for almost 40 years, I have seen enough gyrations to be comfortable at this point with whatever is going on. Market goes up - "this too shall pass"; market goes down - "this too shall pass" :). Plus, I am too busy actively enjoying retirement to think much about it.

Appreciate all the input. I do think I sleep a little better when the market is down a little , very odd. And yes I think it might be a few things.
Such as how heirs will handle it.
And I should spend more etc.

I think most of us on this form have been very fortunate and with that comes responsibilities.

If you sleep at least 7 hours a day. You are good.

Back
Top Bottom