American Idol 2012 Thread

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here we go!

I can hardly wait! :D

It was fun seeing Simon and Paula on "X-Factor" this year, but I like American Idol so much better as a show for some reason. Perhaps it is because AI lasts longer, or maybe it is because AI seems to put a greater emphasis on the individual and his or her musical growth throughout the season. Of course if Simon and Paula would come back, AI would be even better but I can't see that happening.

I hope that Steven Tyler has had a chance to get his teeth fixed, though. He looked awful right after that fall, poor guy.

Jimmey Kimmel made fun of Steven Tyler last night by pointing out the expression on Steven's face everytime a pretty girl walks in to audition. Of course I would probably be no different if I was sitting in his chair:LOL:.

Dittoe what W2R, American Idol is much better than X-Factor.

I enjoyed last night's show. They seem to have reduced the number of really really bad singers (that they often show during the auditions for us to laugh at). I never enjoyed those anyway. Instead, they had quite a few talented artists that they sent through to Hollywood.

I was astonished by that one kid who quit his job to audition. What a big gamble during these times of high unemployment! He was good, but not good enough to take such a risk, it seems to me.

I didn't think that either the brother or sister in that former brother/sister team were good enough to send through, but I think they did better in last year's auditions IIRC.

As Randy said, one of the most difficult songs in the world and she delivered it beautifully. Hard to believe she is only 16. I hope she continues to take more risks like she did last night. I wasn't paying much attention to her but she definitely got all of our attention with that performance.

Jessica is now my Pia, only I trust her final out come will be much better. This is a very good group this year, may be the best that I can recall, but for me its game over already based on what I've seen her do thus far.

Go on youtube and find the video of her at 11 years old singing Celine Dion's "I Surrender".....unreal! :)

If she does not win, she WILL get a record deal. If Whitney was alive, she would have been impressed. Mary J. Blige was beyond impressed.........:)

There's a girl on this show from Charleston, Elise Testone. I've never seen the show, but apparently our town is very excited about her being on it. I was in a bar sometime recently and they had a clip of her on the overhead TV and the bartenders were commenting on her performance.
My young niece and nephew like it. Interesting that they don't sing their own music, only covers (sorry, HFWR, I meant tributes) :) And play no instruments, either, apparently.

Idol contestants sometimes do play instruments as part of their performances. Phillip Phillips played guitar last night.

After Phillip Phillips sang last night, Steven Tyler said "You got a lot of forget about it in your voice". At least I think that's what he said. Then he said something like "Do you know what I mean" and Phillip thanked him, and Steven said you're welcome.

What did it all mean:confused:

After Phillip Phillips sang last night, Steven Tyler said "You got a lot of forget about it in your voice". At least I think that's what he said. Then he said something like "Do you know what I mean" and Phillip thanked him, and Steven said you're welcome.

Probably best not to spend much time reading anything of sense into Steve Tyler's comments. Or any of the AI judges for that matter. They can sometimes be funny. But are often too nice and off the mark. Who knows (or cares) what that meant?

I think the finalists this year are overall a pretty weak bunch. There are only about 3-4 that are pretty good. Not so much the rest. I do like Phillip because he is different and wierd. I like the Holly girl and the Jessica girl. They seem to have talent.

More and more frequently I ask myself why I'm watching this show?

Steven Tyler, for a hard core rocker, is a pretty intelligent person. what he was trying to tell Phillip is that when he's on stage, he just "forgets about" all the breathing, phrasing, notes, pitch, etc, and just lets it all out..........something some of the other contestants don't do. Watching Shannon Macgrane and Elise Testone was painful, like watching a bad car crash in slow motion..........:blink:

Steven Tyler is a wing-nut, albeit a likable wing-nut. He reminds me of Michael Waltrip (if you follow NASCAR you might know what I mean).

While I thought Shannon and Elise had off nights, they didn't seem to be as train-wrecky to me as they were to you.

Deandre reminds me of Sanjaya - he is the weak link and needs to go. I have no idea why Tyler saved him last week over Jennifer Hirsh - like I said - wing-nut!!!

Steven Tyler, for a hard core rocker, is a pretty intelligent person. what he was trying to tell Phillip is that when he's on stage, he just "forgets about" all the breathing, phrasing, notes, pitch, etc, and just lets it all out..........something some of the other contestants don't do. Watching Shannon Macgrane and Elise Testone was painful, like watching a bad car crash in slow motion..........:blink:

+1. Steven Tyler is way more intelligent than people give him credit for. He is also a savvy businessman. Totally agree on the "car crash". Hard to not see one of them go home.

+2 That was what I took from Steven Tyler's comments as well.
+1. Steven Tyler is way more intelligent than people give him credit for. He is also a savvy businessman. Totally agree on the "car crash". Hard to not see one of them go home.

The judges gave them a pretty hard time of it, too. On the other hand, the judges may want to keep the representation of each gender equal, and right now there are 7 guys and 6 girls. Should be interesting to see who is dropped.

Last edited:
The judges gave them a pretty hard time of it, too. On the other hand, the judges may want to keep the representation of each gender equal, and right now there are 7 guys and 6 girls. Should be interesting to see who is dropped.
Good point. Maybe that's why the judges are making the cut tonight.

JLO in particular is desperate for an all-girl final. She is going to push all she can for that, like a Cavanaugh-Sanchez final.........

Jessica Sanchez is Filipino-American, and American Idol is a popular show here in the Philippines. She is already becoming a household name here.

Jessica Sanchez is Filipino-American, and American Idol is a popular show here in the Philippines. She is already becoming a household name here.

Besides that, she is uber-talented........:D

Purron,

What is this week's theme, do you know?

JLO in particular is desperate for an all-girl final. She is going to push all she can for that, like a Cavanaugh-Sanchez final.........

I'm not sure is desperate is the right word, but I agree she definitely wants to have an all-girl final. Based on what I've seen so far it seems to me that the girls are more talented, tho last week they definitely had better material to work with.

I think a Cavanaugh-Sanchez final is quite possible based on what we've seen so far.

Still, we haven't really heard everything these contestants can show us. I want to hear more from Philip Phillips, for example. He seems pretty good so far IMO but so far he hasn't been really challenged so I'm not sure what he can or can't sing.

Back
Top Bottom