Amusing spam emails

EastWest Gal

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lately, I've been getting a lot of spam supposedly from Norton360. For some reason, some of the emails do not get redirected to my spam folder. I also have software to block them, and have been doing that, but this one got through.

Warning!
Your Notron.com License Expires Today!

Then farther down:
Renew now to stay proteted for your PC!

if your PC is unprotested, it is at risk for viruses and other malware!

Should I protest my PC? Do I make a sign and walk back and forth in the hallway at the door of the room where my computer is? :spam:

I once read an interesting theory about this kind of thing. Freakonomics, maybe. Their idea was that the goofiness is deliberate. It is intended to weed out all but the stupidest people who are the scammer's targets. If they get responses from smart people it is usually a waste of time for the scammer. So ... consider yourself to be weeded out.

I once read an interesting theory about this kind of thing. Freakonomics, maybe. Their idea was that the goofiness is deliberate. It is intended to weed out all but the stupidest people who are the scammer's targets. If they get responses from smart people it is usually a waste of time for the scammer. So ... consider yourself to be weeded out.
I've never heard that. Certainly if it's stupid they're looking for, those messages will attract it.

The other EASY thing to do, which I'm sure you all know, is to look at the actual email of the sender. It might show as "Norton 360 Support" but when you expand to see the real address, it's something totally different and clearly not legit.

I remember reading that, too, perhaps in Freakonomics.

I recall posting in another thread about how I have been getting loads of these dopey emails: "Your antivirus service will expire. Your account has been automatically renewed for $399.95. If this is a problem, please call 1-800-xxx-xxxx."

EastWest Gal, I'd love to see you doing your PC protest LOL! :LOL:

Exactly! There is one spot where they used the Norton logo. But the rest of it is ridiculous. I’ve also revived spam in Icelandic and Arabic, and one in which half the email is in Icelandic and then abruptly changes to Hungarian.

Back
Top Bottom