And so we begin...

Librarian

Recycles dryer sheets
DH just retired from public school teaching in the midwest after 35 years at 58.
I will continue 2 more years to 57.

We each will have a state pension, worth approximately $1M each over its lifetime.
We have about $500K in investments. No plans to touch it unless necessary.
Our house is paid off in November. We have no other debt.

Our children 26 & 23 live out of state & on their own; we have 1 who will be a junior in college in the fall. A 529 pays his school & living expenses so essentially he is off the payroll. We do still have the youngest 2 on our health insurance & plan to for 2 more years. (thus why I nearly certainly will work 2 more years...) Our family plan is very good & very affordable through the school district--it makes the most sense at this time.

Our pensions will pay us about $95K/year together. Yes, about 30% less than we were making, but with no debt or children expenses, it still gives us plenty of discretionary $.

Our largest discretionary expenses are a golf membership for DH (quite reasonable here) & travel. We take several trips/year now & plan to continue.

We eventually want to move to the SW US for the dry hot weather--year round golf for DH & relief for my arthritis (hot & humid summers/cold winters are tough) But my mother was just diagnosed with cancer, so we are feeling a pull to stay here for now. (she is doing remarkably well)

DH says it just feels like summer vacation right now--when I go back/when winter hits, it will be a whole new ballgame. He plans to work a little at a golf course (but not until he enjoys his last "summer vacation"). He has some time to figure out what to do with himself once it gets cold...

Sure hoping me heading to work in the fall & him not doesn't make me TOO grumpy...I COULD retire next year...:LOL:

Congratulations to your DH, and to both of you for nicely situating yourselves financially.

Two years will be over in a blink and you can join DH in the "leisure class"!

Congrats!
Moving to the southwest is probably a good idea at least for the weather. Will you take up golf as well?

I was laughing with a colleague the other day that my kids are out and on their own, yet somehow they are still on my AT&T cell phone plan....

Congratulations to both of you. Do you need to work to 57 for benefits?

DH and I planned to retire together, and I needed to work to a certain age for retiree health insurance. DH retied 6 months before me due to a health issue that cropped up.
It was not fun getting up and going to work, knowing he was home! But he was up every morning with me, did the housework and had dinner ready when I got home. It made those days a bit easier!
And the time did go by rather quickly.

We are blessed that our school system has an exceptional retirement plan.
I do golf occasionally but DH is addicted. I prefer an executive course. We used to belong to a small country club w/ a par 3 course. Had several fun events each year. I haven't golfed since it closed a few years ago--I was so sad!
DH does the floors & dusting but I said he needs to pick up the bathrooms & kitchen too when I go back & he agrees. He has offered to cook to--I suspect it will mostly be grilled!
I took a year off with our oldest & youngest, and worked part time for 3 years. Our district says at 55 you can retire with 30 years in--I'm about 2.5 years short. So I could pay in those years--our financial guy says do it, it's an 8% return...but I couldn't stomach paying out $60K this year. It would be under $10K next year. I could officially retire Dec. 2022. But if I make it thru May 2023, we "double dip"--we are paid 12 months, so paid thru the summer. But retirement payments start as soon as I officially retire, so we get paid both for 3 months. It's a mental thing really.
I booked a Med/Greece cruise for us & the kids Aug. 2023--so those extra payments will cover that!

Back
Top Bottom