Another article on SWR: Morningstar

Compare with Henry Heebler's simplified auto-pilot method.

Interesting. It is basing WR on an average of the 4% 'rule' and the govt published RMDs.

If I'm following this right, the initial WR for a 65YO is the average of 1/31 and 4%. That is 3.23% and 4.00%, so average is 3.615%. And it dips considerably in his 1965 scenario, looks like ~ 2.5% at about 15 years in?

Compare to a FIRECalc run (not directly comparable - his conditions are slightly different, I might try to model both in FIRECalc later) which shows that a constant 3.58% survives.

But it's food for thought. I'm thinking it might look good for me by combining the RMD calc with a lower baseline WR, like 3.5%? And I've definitely thought about using RMD as part of the equation for my later years.

-ERD50

Can anyone find the RMD table he uses in the auto-pilot article?

Put retirement savings withdrawals on autopilot - MarketWatch

The ones I find start at 70 1/2, and the numbers are different. His table is an image, I can't easily copy/paste the numbers into a spreadsheet, and I could not find it in Pub 590.

MW-BF823_rmd_20130723154442_ME.jpg

-ERD50

I would have guessed that he was using Table 1 for single life expectancies, but as you say it doesn't match up at all. Maybe his table is old and life expectancies have been revised.

Most of these pundits supporting SWRs base their assumptions on past history. So it's funny to see the rate reduced by 25 percent after a few short years. History sure can change on a dime ! lol. Trying to come up with a satisfactory formula for a problem with so many variables is futile, IMO. For those RE looking at 40 year plus retirements I would recommend splitting the time frame up before 67 and after. I would have a target amount for age 67 and make sure I hit or exceed it.

Back
Top Bottom