Any MINI owners out there who have experienced drained batteries?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We just recently purchased a 2018 Mini Cooper S. Because of my recent shoulder surgery, the car didn’t get driven that much the first month we owned it. Yesterday it wouldn’t start, so we jumped it and I drove it around for 20 minutes, then shut it off. Wouldn’t start again. We were advised to buy a trickle charger. Apparently when you don’t put a lot of miles on MINI’s or BMW’s, this problem is not unusual and a trickle charger is supposed to fix it. Today we used the trickle charger to charge the battery back to 100%. Took the car tonight to a place around 5 miles from home, parked it, and then it wouldn’t start for me to get home.

It seems pretty common for MINI owners not to drive their cars a lot of miles based on the large number of used MINI’s with low mileage. Is anyone familiar with this issue? Any advice? We will bring it to a MINI/BMW mechanic for evaluation but if anyone has experience dealing with this, I’d love to know how you resolved it.

We weren’t expecting problems already with a 2018 car with 24K miles on it!

We just recently purchased a 2018 Mini Cooper S. Because of my recent shoulder surgery, the car didn’t get driven that much the first month we owned it. Yesterday it wouldn’t start, so we jumped it and I drove it around for 20 minutes, then shut it off. Wouldn’t start again. We were advised to buy a trickle charger. Apparently when you don’t put a lot of miles on MINI’s or BMW’s, this problem is not unusual and a trickle charger is supposed to fix it. Today we used the trickle charger to charge the battery back to 100%. Took the car tonight to a place around 5 miles from home, parked it, and then it wouldn’t start for me to get home.

It seems pretty common for MINI owners not to drive their cars a lot of miles based on the large number of used MINI’s with low mileage. Is anyone familiar with this issue? Any advice? We will bring it to a MINI/BMW mechanic for evaluation but if anyone has experience dealing with this, I’d love to know how you resolved it.

We weren’t expecting problems already with a 2018 car with 24K miles on it!

Batteries die because of age and conditions, not miles. Your battery is potentially about 5 years old so it could be end of life. My 2015 BMW battery died at the beginning of 2021 so it was less than a year older than yours. Replacement was super expensive, about $500. It requires a special tool to program the battery. My guess is it is the same for MINI.

Several years ago my Acura had a battery drain problem. The battery was old enough and cheap enough that I bought a new one and installed it myself. Next morning the new battery was dead. That meant something else was draining the battery.

If you have a multimeter you can diagnose the problem yourself by hooking the multimeter in series with the battery right at the battery with everything turned off. If you have any current flow more than a few milliamps you have a failed component draining the battery! I had about half an amp flowing which is way too high for a car turned off! Make sure you have all teh interior lights off. You may have to pull the fuses for the interior lights. You can find out which system it is in by pulling and replacing each fuse systematically until the current flow drops. Lookup what system that fuse protects and you will know where to look. In my Acura it was the bluetooth module. I rarely used bluetooth so I just unplugged the module and was done. I could have replaced it if I wanted.

When I had my BMW battery problem they wanted to charge me about $300 to diagnose an electrical issue. I refused and told them just to replace the battery and we will see it that fixes it. This was partly because of the age of the battery. I knew I'd be replacing it soon anyway. They REALLY did not want to waive the diagnostic fee but did in the end. Replacing the battery solved the problem.

With the age of your MINI I think you will be replacing the battery within 2 years even if it is something else. I suggest you do what I did and try that first and only resort to diagnostics (yourself or mechanic) if that does not solve the problem.

Last edited:
When I lived in Phoenix, a car battery would last three years. Now that we live in a cooler part of the state, our batteries seem to be lasting longer. To me it's not at all surprising that you battery is failing at 4+ years of age. You could just change the battery and see if that fixes the problem. Most auto parts stores like Autozone and OReilly's will test your battery for free. They also sell new batteries of course.

When I lived in Phoenix, a car battery would last three years. Now that we live in a cooler part of the state, our batteries seem to be lasting longer. To me it's not at all surprising that you battery is failing at 4+ years of age. You could just change the battery and see if that fixes the problem. Most auto parts stores like Autozone and OReilly's will test your battery for free. They also sell new batteries of course.

Lol, yeah I used to live in Tucson. We got 4-5 years.

But BMW is different. Autozone and similar can't replace the batteries. The battery has to be registered with the car or it will not work. BMW makes its money off of crap like that. I love my BMW but will never buy another one!

If you didn't drive it for a few weeks, then I don't think jumping/charging it is gonna work. I'd go new battery.

DH's subaru needed that after he didn't drive the first two weeks of April 2020 (for reasons), then it wouldn't start.

The only other thing I'd add (again not a mini) but on an acura I had, the bluetooth connection to my phone was creating a very small constant drain on the battery, so if I didn't drive it for a few days...dead. I turned off the bluetooth and all was well.

As designed, and not because of failures, modern vehicles seem to have significant battery draws when sitting parked.

Probably why free jump-start services seem to be nearly universal at airport parking lots/garages today.

Batteries die because of age and conditions, not miles. Your battery is potentially about 5 years old so it could be end of life.

We are on our second Mini. But, we get rid of them at the 4 yr mark so no battery issues. Without fail, when I find my battery dead (in all the vehicles I've owned) it is at the 5 year mark. One or two have gone as long as 7 and one or two have gone as quick as 3.5.

I have something drawing pwr on my Jeep Scrambler when it is off. Troubleshooting that is #17 on the honey do list.

As others are stating, sounds like it's time for a new battery.

My 82 year old mother has a Mini, for many years now. She drives it twice a week and never leaves town. No battery\starter issues whatsoever.

I would suggest you taking it to Advance Auto Parts. Their battery tester is much better quality than the one used at AutoZone.

Or see if Batteries Plus can check out the battery.

My all time problem car for electrical gremlins were a couple of early Lexus'--RX and ES. We had to keep a jump starter with us that plugged into the "cigarette lighter."

Unfortunately, the Mini's are not up to the quality standards of other BMW owned companies. They're pretty troublesome in other areas too--like their CVT tranny.

Unfortunately, the Mini's are not up to the quality standards of other BMW owned companies. They're pretty troublesome in other areas too--like their CVT tranny.

Even though, I'm having occasional pangs of regret about not buying their cheapest new "Oxford Edition" vehicle with a manual transmission while it was offered. :(

I would suggest you taking it to Advance Auto Parts. Their battery tester is much better quality than the one used at AutoZone.

Or see if Batteries Plus can check out the battery.

My all time problem car for electrical gremlins were a couple of early Lexus'--RX and ES. We had to keep a jump starter with us that plugged into the "cigarette lighter."

Brother in law calls his "the Mini pit."

Yep. Classic symptoms of battery gone bad. Replace.

The only other thing I'd add (again not a mini) but on an acura I had, the bluetooth connection to my phone was creating a very small constant drain on the battery, so if I didn't drive it for a few days...dead. I turned off the bluetooth and all was well.

This is a known issue with the Acura bluetooth module for certain model years. I mentioned it above. In my case turning off the bluetooth did not help. I had to unplug the module.

I have a BMW. I have had numerous problems with it. I do not consider it high quality. I love driving it but quality is not a word I would associate with BMW. My next car will be a Toyota or Honda or possibly a Subaru. Not saying other brands are bad, I just have personally had great luck with Honda and Toyota and I am a little intrigued by Subaru.

I had my Acura for over 10 years and had only one failure and that was with the window "roller-upper" and was fixed under warrantty. I put over 100,000 miles on a Nissan Altima with no maintenance costs but tires, brake pads, and oil changes.

As designed, and not because of failures, modern vehicles seem to have significant battery draws when sitting parked.

Probably why free jump-start services seem to be nearly universal at airport parking lots/garages today.

You know, I really suggest everyone carry a "microstart" emergency car starter. I have had one in every car for almost 10 years and the new models are even better. It is a battery the size of a cell phone but about twice as thick. You can use it to jump start a vehicle very easily.

Microstart is just one brand but that's the one I stick with and can't vouch for others. They cost about $100.

I have used mine several times to help others. I started a big F-350 one time for a lady. I was surprised but it did fine.

A bonus was that it carried us through an extended (days long) power outage last December and kept our cell phones charged. You can also run a laptop off of it.

German cars ate no longer the quality leaders they used to be when I was a 20-something. My child has had two VWs both with lots of problems that were expensive to fix. Ex BF was her advisor on these purchases, not dad.

They were not as bad as my 1980s Pontiac, IMO, the car that made me swear off GM products for life.

All the reasons mentioned here about car quality is why we only lease cars in our retirement. We never have kept a car beyond its warranty for the last 20 years. I really do not care what the cost is vs ownership is, our quality of life and hassle free driving is worth many times more.

You know, I really suggest everyone carry a "microstart" emergency car starter. I have had one in every car for almost 10 years and the new models are even better. It is a battery the size of a cell phone but about twice as thick. You can use it to jump start a vehicle very easily.

Microstart is just one brand but that's the one I stick with and can't vouch for others. They cost about $100.

I have used mine several times to help others. I started a big F-350 one time for a lady. I was surprised but it did fine.

A bonus was that it carried us through an extended (days long) power outage last December and kept our cell phones charged. You can also run a laptop off of it.

Yeah, pretty amazing. I keep one in each car. Most important is to recharge every month - you forget such things. I did find out (by sad experience) they will not start a vehicle with a truly "dead" battery. (Oh, and you only get 2 or 3 starting attempts, so make them count.) YMMV

Just a heads up, my brother has a mini and battery died. He tried to just replace it but it takes special tools and he couldn’t even get to it directly. About $800 at dealer to replace as his parts stores couldn’t get the battery.
I don’t know how much effort he tried before the dealer but still lots of money for a battery.

Yeah, pretty amazing. I keep one in each car. Most important is to recharge every month - you forget such things. I did find out (by sad experience) they will not start a vehicle with a truly "dead" battery. (Oh, and you only get 2 or 3 starting attempts, so make them count.) YMMV

Yes, absolutely. I recharge every 3 months but mine are getting older so maybe I should bump that up. And yeah, my one failure was a guy in a target parking lot with way more issues than a dead battery. I tried to help but ultimately had to leave.

Just a heads up, my brother has a mini and battery died. He tried to just replace it but it takes special tools and he couldn’t even get to it directly. About $800 at dealer to replace as his parts stores couldn’t get the battery.
I don’t know how much effort he tried before the dealer but still lots of money for a battery.

Wow! For my BMW it was just over $500. $522 comes to mind. I think BMW uses AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) batteries which are more expensive[-] and dramatically drive up profits[/-].

Hokey smokes!

The most I've paid on any vehicle is ~$275 for a massive (truck-size) trunk-mounted, vented battery in dad's old Mercedes sports coupe.

Last edited:
My Buick has it's battery under the rear seat. When the battery died, I took it to several places as my back was acting up and I didn't want to lift a battery in/out of its location. No one would even touch it since it was in the cabin. No explanation - just against their policy. So I bought the replacement and did the job myself - back's still marginal, as usual.

Never understood why car makers would make battery replacement a real issue. Batteries last 3 to 5 years and then MUST be replaced. THere's always got to be an "easy" way (under the seat wasn't as easy as normal placement, but no big deal and no need to tear the car apart to get to it.) YMMV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom