Any PC Gamers in ER-land?

bosco said:
I will never buy another Dell.  It is just too discouraging even trying to reach someone, and the 800 number in the owner's manual connects you to desktops, not laptops, and the correct number is nowhere to be found.

I agree. Dell has braindead support. But they're one of the few vendors left who even bother answering the phone. Try getting support from Sony or Toshiba.

Thankfully, every time Dell has screwed something up (which is more than half the time), they give me a concession coupon or credit as greenmail. It really works wonders.

Agree on what is being said about DEll notebooks. Mine is now stuffed under the desk unused. 2+ years old, bought as a gaming machine for the road. Heavy, hot, and disapointing. Problem with battery charging , sent to dell to get fixed, said my baterries were dead. Fix; buy new batts. Didn't belive it, took machine to local geeks, fixed it and other issues for 100 bucks. (Old batteries were fine). Screen blew a month later, called DHL to ship to Dell agian, fixed but got tired of lugging a 10 lb brick.

Was top of the line when I bought it, never performed, worked or live up to how it was advertised.

Alienware, Falcon, other vendors out there with customer in mind. The new Dell gets Kudos from reviews but would with, esp for laptops, to the best on customer service, and folks who deal with high end machines all the time.

Chris24 said:
Mine is now stuffed under the desk unused. 2+ years old, bought as a gaming machine for the road. Heavy, hot, and disapointing. Problem with battery charging , sent to dell to get fixed, said my baterries were dead. Fix; buy new batts. Didn't belive it, took machine to local geeks, fixed it and other issues for 100 bucks. (Old batteries were fine). Screen blew a month later, called DHL to ship to Dell agian, fixed but got tired of lugging a 10 lb brick.

Dell's laptops have improved quite a bit since they launched a new line based on the Pentium-M. Sounds like you bought a 9100 or the original XPS -- the last of their P4-based lappies. A lot of people loved them, but they are hot and heavy plastic bricks. If you have the 9800 GPU, you can still sell it for a nice chunk on eBay. People have figured out how to reconnect a laser-cut on the 9800 die to give them a bunch of additional pixel pipes.

Sounds like you bought a 9100

You are correct sir.

Glad to hear things are getting better, but in the techno world, sure doesn't take long.

Chris24 said:
Anyone here play EQ ?

Nope. I couldn't stomach the idea of paying every month to play a game. I prefer buying a game once for $40 (possibly less if it came out last year) and playing as much as I want, when I want.

I had one of my friends start playing evercrack. Never saw him again. Not kidding. That was something like six years ago. Whenever I call him I get an answering machine and he doesnt call back for 2 days. Never wants to go out anywhere with anyone. He gained about 100lbs. I heard a couple of months ago that he left work on a 'medical disability'. Sounds like a game to be avoided for certain personality types.

() said:
I had one of my friends start playing evercrack.  Never saw him again.  Not kidding.  That was something like six years ago.  Whenever I call him I get an answering machine and he doesnt call back for 2 days.  Never wants to go out anywhere with anyone.  He gained about 100lbs.  I heard a couple of months ago that he left work on a 'medical disability'.  Sounds like a game to be avoided for certain personality types.

I used to play MUDs back in the early-90s (college days), and found them extremely addictive. Pizzas and other deliveries were the foods of choice -- anything not requiring me to leave the keyboard. The games were all text-based (like Zork), requiring extremely fast reading comprehension and lightning-fast typing skills, as well as a vivid imagination.

Perhaps I benefited more than I thought? :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom