Anybody a retirement druggie?

Which best describes your use of recreational drugs (other than alcohol)

• I was a druggie as a kid, but grew out of it (no recent use)

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • I've never done recreational drugs

Votes: 105 60.3%
  • I tried recreational drugs after retirement, but didn't like it.

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I tried recreational drugs after retirement and have continued to use them

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • I've used recreational drugs throughout my life

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This thread may be somewhat controversial, but I know a lot of folks who have been totally clean and sober for years yet tried recreational drugs upon retirement. Certainly,with the broad legality of cannabis products in recent years, many have tried these - and many have become regular users. For the purposes of this poll I'm including any recreational mind altering drugs other than alcohol.

Though we are more or less anonymous on this forum I don't expect anyone to explicitly admit ongoing illegal behavior, but if you have stories from the bad old days (long past the statute of limitations) feel free.

I'll start out with my admission: I was a teenager in the 1970s and tried all sorts of things back then. As I grew older and more responsible my use declined and I did no recreational drugs whatsoever from about age 30 to 55. Upon retirement I tried a few things again and found, to my chagrin, that the experiences were uniformly unpleasant and that drug use was a young man's game. As a result I've consumed no recreational drug in the past 4 years and do not expect to in the future.

Last edited:
I smoked pot in college and grew some. But that was 1971- 1975.

Clean since then! No vices, period.:LOL:

Not sure how to answer this. I tried pot probably 5 times as a kid, decided I did not like it. Never done it since. Never tried any other Rec. drugs. I would not call myself a druggie as a kid. But I do not participate in the habbit.

Grew up in the 60’s but was perfectly happy with beer so never tried anything else. Then had a career where I needed a security clearance - any illegal drug activity would have resulted in clearance suspension/job loss. Always said I would try marijuana after I retired and no longer needed a clearance. But by the time that rolled around I no longer had any interest. Don’t even do beer these days.

There was quite the thread on this not too long ago. But yes, I do enjoy some occasional MMJ in my retirement. That was a big NO NO in the Air Force. ;) Didn't mess with the stuff prior to the AF, either. As a matter of fact, I can't recall the last time I used MMJ...guess since I can use it legally (state level) then it's not as appealing?

Not interested- I have no need for something that will make me sleepy and give me cravings for junk food. DH and I were in Amsterdam years ago and considered it but decided there were too many really interesting things to do rather than get stoned. We visited the Anne Frank House instead.

Recreational marijuana use is now legal in Connecticut. However, I've managed to make it this far in life without smoking pot (or doing any other drugs), so I don't think I'll start now.

I went to college in the 70's, so pot was all around, and I partook like most in my peer group. After graduation I still used some once in a while, and remember splitting a pound with friends and having it out on the table to put through a wire sieve to take out the stems and seeds.

Much of my w*rk career there was random drug testing, so any use was very limited.

Now in our mid 60's, I use very seldom, but DW has found it helps greatly for her essential tremor and has gotten a medical use card. Just a hit or two does it for her.

We have some friends that never slowed down and use regularly. The stuff they get today is at least 10x more potent than the 70's. When I have tried it, I just didn't feel right.

I had a bit too much fun in college, but that all ended soon after.

I recently got a Medical MJ card, but at most I like an occasional puff on a CBD heavy strain when my shoulder acts up. Everything else these days is too strong. I don't want to take one puff and be stoned stupid.

I first smoked some weed in high school back in the 80s, and continued to do so sporadically throughout my early adulthood. Never more than a few times a year, though, and there were many "pot-free" years. For the past eight or so years, I've been getting the good stuff from Colorado (edibles, mostly) and tend to indulge maybe 3-4 times/year. Gotta be in just the right mood for it. Have never tried any other recreational drug.

As for post-ER drug use, I'd have to say my desire for any sort of recreational high (other than having some wine with dinner) has gone down compared to mid-career, say 15 years ago.

Last edited:
I've got a stock of killer 20% bud on hand. Stop by sometime and I'll roll us a fatty - :)

Recreational marijuana use is now legal in Connecticut. However, I've managed to make it this far in life without smoking pot (or doing any other drugs), so I don't think I'll start now.

+1 It's now legal in AZ also.

Other than alcohol, I smoked cigarettes since a young age, but quit when I was 47.

My alcohol consumption has not increased since retirement.

I smoked in college and grad school during the late 60s and very early 70s. Then put it away one day at the end of the 70s. A few years ago it became available as medical cannabis. By that time I had been through multiple major surgeries and was taking the prescribed opiates off an on for about 7 yrs and did not like the side effects or the dependency. I more than qualified for a medical cannabis use card based on severe chronic pain, chronic neuropathy, arthritis in every major joint, etc. I made the switch but limit use to the evening in order to be able to sleep a few hours. Even then I limit the amount to the smallest amount that will help. Occasionally I can make it through the night or even 2-3 days without it. It is of no interest to me anymore for use as a recreational drug. But 45-50 yrs ago it was a novel diversion.

Cheers!

I smoked in college and grad school during the late 60s and very early 70s. Then put it away one day at the end of the 70s. A few years ago it became available as medical cannabis. By that time I had been through multiple major surgeries and was taking the prescribed opiates off an on for about 7 yrs and did not like the side effects or the dependency. I more than qualified for a medical cannabis use card based on severe chronic pain, chronic neuropathy, arthritis in every major joint, etc. I made the switch but limit use to the evening in order to be able to sleep a few hours. Even then I limit the amount to the smallest amount that will help. Occasionally I can make it through the night or even 2-3 days without it. It is of no interest to me anymore for use as a recreational drug. But 45-50 yrs ago it was a novel diversion.

Cheers!

I have a good friend that has Neuropathy in his lower legs and feet. Does MJ actually help that?

I got started with weed (it was weed then) back in high school.

I got a medical MJ card before it was recreational for insomnia. My wife got one for cancer. I used to grow the stuff in a 8 sq-ft closet with hydroponics and a huge 400 watt high pressure sodium light.

Ah the good old days. I never thought that one day I could walk in a shop and buy a pack of joints with a cop car right there in the parking lot. Ah the bad old days.

i tried it once in the 9th grade; had that burnt weed/grass smell in my mouth for a few days, never got a buzz. I have never touched it since or even tried a cigarette.

You can shop online too.

Yeah, I know.

But I like to drive out to the dope store and see (and inhale) the heady aromas. Plus take advantage of specials and whole ounce (mix and match) discounts. The packaging now is all eighths and labeled and fancy.

Make my usual afternoon run around the dope store and a nice lunch - :)

I'm a medical patient and use cannibis instead of opioids for pain. I took opioids for 5 years and replaced them all with cannibis. It's not great for the real severe level 9++ burning nerve pain but not much is other than steroids and mind numbing doses of opioids.

It is great to see who is in the dispensaries; mostly folks who are 55+ even for recreational cannibis. The range of new products is very nice to see. Who knew cannibis baths are a thing? Ladies I was told this product was for you. I used doggy, hemp based, CBD for our senior dog for pain and anxiety management. We make homemade edibles with extractions that eliminate all the tedious work. I learned to make fantastic chocolate truffles about 15mg apiece.

I smoked cigarettes for about a week in 7th grade, but I quit because I thought it was stupid. I didn’t think it made sense to be thinking about a cigarette when I was sitting in my reading class, so I dumped the rest of the cigarettes I was holding right down the storm drain, told my friend I’d smoked them all, and I was done.

Both my parents were heavy smokers.

I never smoked pot, mainly because I think it just smells really bad. The smell is nauseating to me, just like the smell of cigars.

I prefer wine, but I’m grateful that medicinal marijuana is available if I need it and wouldn’t hesitate to use it.

I never smoked pot, mainly because I think it just smells really bad. The smell is nauseating to me, just like the smell of cigars.
My next door neighbor smokes pot. I don't think any less of him for it, but it does smell bad when a breeze wafts the smoke in our direction..

Michael Pollan has an excellent book out called “How to Change Your Mind,” which explores promising research finally happening for treating mental disorders with psilocybin and other hallucinogens in very therapeutic, guided, professional conditions. The results can be dramatic, lopping decades off of talk therapies. Hopefully, those therapies can take hold to offer people legitimate, science-based options without the recreational drug abusers or holier-than-thou-types squelching it again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Change_Your_Mind
“Kevin Canfield of the San Francisco Chronicle wrote: "In 'How to Change Your Mind', Pollan explores the circuitous history of these often-misunderstood substances, and reports on the clinical trials that suggest psychedelics can help with depression, addiction and the angst that accompanies terminal illnesses. He does so in the breezy prose that has turned his previous books – these include The Omnivore's Dilemma and Cooked, the inspiration for his winning Netflix documentaries of the same name – into bestsellers."[8]

Last edited:
My next door neighbor smokes pot. I don't think any less of him for it, but it does smell bad when a breeze wafts the smoke in our direction..

Must be a cheap guy. The good stuff smells like perfume!

I know. That ragweed smells like burning hay.

Back
Top Bottom