Anyone Considering Cancelling Travel

Any recent travellers on long flights who wish to put my mind at ease or heighten my concern? I am specifically seeking comments from people who have traveled. I'm pretty sure I know the views of folks who have chosen not to travel.
Thanks

Have recently done several flights including a couple longer within the US. Most of the time it felt pretty safe -- I was very glad for the mask mandate and most everyone seemed to be voluntarily following them strictly on the plane.

That said, on one of the longer flights, a fellow passenger across the aisle was regularly coughing a deep chest cough (he was masked) and that was quite uncomfortable. I kept reminding myself of the serious air filtration and air changeover rates on a plane. Have no idea if he had COVID, but I got tested for other reasons shortly thereafter and was negative.

The airports weren't very busy so it was easy to keep distance. Mask wearing compliance was less here -- saw some folks sitting in gate areas with masks down. It was easy enough to avoid those areas/people.

I've taken to wearing KN 95 masks when out and about. We just purchased full N95 masks for our flight to Seattle from PA in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to masking for such a long time. N95 and KN95 masks are PPE; protect the wearer as well as others. We're also flying first class-less crowding. Still...

Any recent travellers on long flights who wish to put my mind at ease or heighten my concern? I am specifically seeking comments from people who have traveled. I'm pretty sure I know the views of folks who have chosen not to travel.

Thanks

I traveled from Kansas City to Juneau and back last month- in Business Class, with an N95 mask. The only time I felt uncomfortably close to people was in the tram between terminals in Seattle. I also REALLY wanted an adult beverage in SEA but the Alaska Air lounges were not selling day passes (I'd taken the tram after one Club told me they were selling them in another Club in a different terminal- not true). The only alcohol available was in a couple of bars where people were elbow to elbow. Nope. I found a pretty empty gate area and settled in with a snack and my electronics till flight time.

Just to be sure I got tested 3 days after I got home- negative.:D

Thanks

I took a flight from DFW to Anchorage and then Anchorage to Chicago a couple months back...not sure if that is "recent" enough or not. I did fly first class, so there wasn't too much of an issue with being cramped in. DFW wasn't very busy, but Chicago was nuts (and I had a 7 hour layover). I spent some time looking for isolation and was about to get a daypass to one of the lounges, but then found a USO that was pretty quiet. No issues with people not adhering to the mask rules, really...so no issue there.

From March of this year until now, we (DW and I) have spent about 30 hours on airplanes (10 different flights) and probably about 1/2 of that time inside an airport terminal and have avoided getting sick. We are pretty religious about wearing a mask so not sure if that has helped (as well as being fully vaccinated since late March) or we have just been lucky.

Hi bzribee,

Yes we have wondered about this, too.

Just to clarify one of your comments, you said "... what if it happens again? and we can't get back to the US for two weeks?"

I think you we referring to a local quarantine restriction, which would make it impossible for you to travel to the airport to return correct?

Or is a negative covid test required to return to the US from where you are?

Thanks.

I believe the US requires a negative covid test within 3 days for returning from anywhere. Regardless of the means of travel. ( Car, train, plane).

WARNING: Long post!

In pre-COVID times, I traveled internationally about half of every year, usually in developing countries, so I’ve spent a lot of time on researching and living this issue. I was actually traveling with my BF in Southeast Asia/South Pacific/Australia for months when the SHTF in mid-March 2020 and we had to rush back to the US (me) and Scotland (he), including multiple cancelled flights, etc. trying to get home. I had 4 other major trips with flights and/or tours already booked for the remainder of 2020 (Tajikistan, Greenland, Madagascar, and Trans-Siberia/Mongolia/China/Tibet), and it took months and MONTHS of effort to claw back all the money and/or travel credits associated with those including issues with bankruptcies, complaints to the DOT, etc. I’m happy to say we finally have been made whole by and large.

During 2020 I made two pre-vaccination trips to the UK – including required self-isolation there, but no testing expected at that point. Even then I never felt unsafe in the airplanes (which were pretty empty then, and which studies had shown were not a huge risk), or while over in the UK, where I was in a very isolated place which had next to no cases. I admit I did don masks, goggles, face shields, gloves, etc. on that first flight, however. LOL!!

In 2021, post-vaccination, I made another long trip to the UK (May/June), with self-isolation PLUS a whopping $615 paid for all the required COVID testing before, during, and after the trip! Yikes! Planes were noticeably more crowded, but everyone mask compliant, etc., tested prior to travel, etc. so the travel itself still felt safe. While there, we traveled to more urban areas this time, some with high COVID incidence, but were mainly outside (camping, walking around, etc.) so it didn’t feel too risky. I almost always wore a mask.

And finally, I have started traveling again to other countries. In fact, I am currently finishing up a month-long backpacking trip in Nicaragua. This is budget, independent travel we’re talking about -- chicken buses, all manner of boat, minivans, collective taxis, and walking to get around, with little or no social distancing possible. I stay in cheap hotels, but private rooms with private bathrooms. I rarely eat inside in restaurants, and am widely spaced when I do. I am religious about wearing a mask, even outside (using an N95 whenever on public transport, and a high quality cloth mask with N95 filter inserts the rest of the time). And frankly, I am almost always outside. When I am inside in museums, etc., more times than not I am literally the only person in the building except the guard and ticket taker, because there are few/no tourists here right now.

So why did I decide to do this trip? To be clear, I did not assess that this trip was without any risk, it was just within an acceptable risk for me, for an activity which is a very high priority for me. (Which is how I think we’ll be dealing with COVID in general going forward). I am fully vaccinated, I have no underlying conditions and am very healthy, and I do what I can beyond vaccination to protect myself with masks, social distancing, good hand hygiene, etc. So a calculated risk.

I am virtually 100% positive that I must have been exposed at some point to COVID while here – it’s quite rampant in some parts of this country, low rates of vaccination, etc. There is a fair amount of mask compliance, especially in buses, etc., and a lot of hand sanitizing everywhere, but still plenty of opportunities to be exposed. So I am assuming I did not contract the disease due to a combination of the vaccine being effective, my mitigation with masks, etc., and just dumb luck. Again, not zero risk, but calculated risk. And honestly I’m not sure traveling here was any worse than visiting some parts of the US right now.

Anyway, I’m ready to do more traveling now – I’ll be back in the UK in Oct/Nov, and may try to tag on another trip to another country. I echo a lot of what has been said above about the incredibly complicated and frustratingly dynamic logistics required to travel right now. My main observations:
• Multi-country trips are still extremely difficult (outside of Europe perhaps, although even there “it’s getting complicated”…..). Especially in developing countries, meeting the almost universal global requirement for recent PCR tests to enter each and every country is logistically challenging (testing often available only in main cities), not to mention expensive. Traveling overland in particular. I have found that even adventure-oriented budget tour companies are having to cancel their multi-country itineraries left and right because of this.
• Related to this, you even have to be careful about your flight itinerary to avoid problems, especially if you are coming/going from the UK or others who have “red” countries requiring mandatory (and expensive) hotel quarantine.
• For now I will largely stick to one-country in-depth travel, like the trip I’m doing now. Some independent, some with local in-country tour companies.
• Even with this, as many have mentioned, the requirements in each country are constantly changing, and it’s hard to keep up. Two online resources I have found particularly useful to quickly access the specific and updated requirements of each country are:
o IATA - International Travel Document News (iatatravelcentre.com) (interactive map that summarizes country entry/testing/quarantine requirements for all nationalities); and
o COVID-19 Country Specific Information (state.gov) (country-specific COVID information specifically for US citizens, but useful for everyone in providing info on where to get tested locally, etc.).
• Even though these sites are good, I always double-triple check the Embassy websites of the specific country in question just to make sure of what is expected and check on any recent changes. (In the case of Nicaragua, for example, you have to send your COVID test results to the Ministry of Health 36 hours prior to flight time, with very specific requirements to get pre-approval to fly – you can’t just show up at the airport!). I would also note that beyond COVID, the visa requirements themselves of many countries have also changed, e.g., suspending the ability to get an e-visa or visa on arrival, so you have to figure that into the calculus as well.
• Another thing I accidentally came upon in researching my trip to Nicaragua is the proliferation of pop-up Facebook pages to share current information on entry requirements, etc. for specific countries. I have no idea if this is a ‘thing’ beyond Nicaragua, but I wouldn’t be surprised. I learned a lot that helped my real-time travel logistics from tracking a few of these pages, and will certainly search to see if other pages exist for destinations I’m interested.
• I have noticed a positive change for vaccinated visitors being able to avoid quarantine in some countries, and am hoping that trend continues. To prove status for US travelers, in addition to my paper CDC vaccination card, I also contacted my state IIS (Immunization Information System) to get an official copy of my state vaccination record (sent by email on their letterhead), which I also carry with me. I’ve also registered with the CLEAR app to upload my vaccination results.
• Re: required testing to return to the US (from anywhere), I successfully used the Abbot Binax NOW test that I had purchased prior to leaving the States. As mentioned by others, I had been reading that there were long backlogs to wait for the online proctor to witness the test, however I did it last night and there was literally NO wait at all – I got on instantly!! In less than half an hour I had administered the test and received my results in the NAVICA app and by email. At about $30 a pop, this is the way to go (I would have had to pay $150 to get the test done here). You have to buy a package of 6 online at this point, but more than one person can register to use the tests, related or not. The tests expire in a year, so my objective is to use all of them before they go bad! ?
• If you need a new passport, the State Department website warns that it can take many months – in fact they recommend you start the process 6 months prior to travel. I usually have two passports, and applied to get my second one renewed in mid-July, and got my new one in 5 weeks, so perhaps the backlog is getting resolved. I’d still err on the side of caution, however.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but hope some of the information in it is useful for others.

I came back from a Europe trip last week, Mexico in the spring and a 6 hour domestic flight in the summer.

The planes are mostly full, especially for domestic flights (both US and Europe). For the flights to/from Europe, I wore a surgical mask. Prior to that I wore KN95 masks. Expect that you’ll have a wide variety of mask compliance on flights, mostly around masks that aren’t properly fitted. Everybody is wearing a mask and besides that, it feels a lot like it did prior to covid.

I’m fully vaccinated and have been for months. My opinion is that I’m vaccinated for a reason and that is to live as normally as possible. So while I don’t want to catch covid, I tend to think most people will be exposed and possibly catch it at some point, unless they want to limit their travel and exposure to other people.

Rodi mentioned that you need a negative test for re-entry to the US, but that is not true for land border crossings.

Does this Order apply to land border crossings?

No, the requirements of this Order only apply to air travel into the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

That makes it a lot easier, since IMO, that’s the biggest risk when traveling outside the US (what to do if you test positive and can’t fly home).

Since that’s not an issue, I’d say if you’re vaccinated, then relax and enjoy the trip!

We are considering a trip to British Columbia, flying into Seattle which is about a six-hour flight from here in the Washington DC area. We have travelled a good bit in Covid times but always by car.

We know that air travel is relatively safe but I still feel a little squeamish about a flight of that distance.

Also, those crowded shuttle busses to the rent car facility make me a bit nervous. I tend to trust spacing to stay healthy.

We flew to Las Vegas connecting in Los Angeles in June. We found it very easy to distance ourselves in the whole trip except in the airplane and jetway. And the rental car operations are just a short ride, so risks there should be minimal.

We're flying to Berlin in 3 weeks, and the EU is stiffening up on U.S. travelers. Right now, we have to have both Covid shots to avoid quarantine. And we must go online and register with the German gov't. They also want to know where we'll be staying while in the country. A Covid test is also required for any American travelers coming back into the U.S. As far as I can tell, Germany is much stricter on masking and social distancing than where we live.

We're just back from a fantastic trip to Tanzania. Two weeks of safari and some beach time. It was excellent in every respect. From what we hear, the safari excursions are still ramping back up, so relatively few other safari vehicles In the parks & conservation areas. Three Covid tests involved (one before leaving US, one on arrival in Tanzania, one for return to US). No big deal to schedule any. Covid protocols were very good in all airports, airplanes, and hotels/lodges. Absolutely zero masks on Tanzanian citizens otherwise. The only things we avoided were markets and crowded areas. We are fully immunized and felt very safe. Tanzania is a beautiful country, with very welcoming people, and outrageous wildlife. The trip exceeded all of our expectations.

That makes it a lot easier, since IMO, that’s the biggest risk when traveling outside the US (what to do if you test positive and can’t fly home).

Since that’s not an issue, I’d say if you’re vaccinated, then relax and enjoy the trip!

Yes the land crossing does eliminate some risk and flights to Seattle are really cheap now. Thanks.

smurray5991,

You make a really good point that it's a risk-reward situation with travel now. If you understand the risks and know how to mitigate them to the greatest extent possible, you may be able to take advantage of some less crowded and reduced-cost travel conditions.

We will either fly 1st or buy an extra seat so we can mitigate whatever the small risk is there.

I do not feel super comfortable with the car rental shuttles. I guess we could cab or Uber to it. Choose your favorite risk.

Wish we'd done the same. We have a trip we can't afford to cancel in 3 weeks, so we'll just have to be really careful. This is our first time on a plane since Covid struck, that will be the biggest concern - I assume the airlines are strictly enforcing masks, etc.
We ahev had three air trips to and from PVMX since Covid struck: Through DFW on AA, Direct via Westjet, and through Seattle on Alaska. The recirculated air has been through a HEPA filter so is fine. The main risk is seatmates and those immediately behind. We kept masks on all the time except eating/drinking.

No problem. Relax.

"Anyone Considering Cancelling Travel"

I have not booked any travel since Feb 2020, so have had nothing to cancel.

I do not feel super comfortable with the car rental shuttles. I guess we could cab or Uber to it. Choose your favorite risk.
Maybe with fewer travelers the shuttles will be less crowded? Though there may be fewer shuttles running too.

One thing you could do is have one person get the rental car, without luggage, then go pick up the other + luggage at the terminal. That gives you more flexibility with finding a place to sit or stand if it is crowded, maybe in the stair well.

We leave in 3 days for BER flying through LHR. We have the 6 pack of covid tests, but scheduled a local free test for tomorrow, and have the portable test as a back up if results do not come in time. Our daughter left today for Europe on their postponed honeymoon. No one was going to talk her out of that!

Since we are leaving Seattle and going to lower risk countries, we feel safer:cool:. Lots of changes since we booked, including canceling the greek cruise. We are staying in Germany, Czech, and Austrian areas and traveling 1st class/Business by train for best spacing in seats, thankyou Seat 61. I do not expect issues, but if we get delayed or worse, it would not suck so much to be in such nice areas in the fall.

As commented before, I believe I picked up Covid in January on our trip to Phoenix. My sense is that the Rental Car Shuttle driver was handling all the bags for everyone and was likely passing it. That shuttle was fully crowded, and I am pretty sure someone was spreading since it was a peak covid period. (I got the experimental antibodies and was cured in 2 days):dance:

So, while we are looking forward to this trip, we are still at risk of canceling. Our daughter is on her way, so she is all set for a great trip with small crowds.....

:confused::confused:OMG, our DD and DH are on their way to AMS, but will arrive (I believe) after midnight Sept 4th. I can't believe they will have to quarantine with vaccines and proof of negative, but whoooa, we are heading out on Sept 6 to Germany and hope that is still OK

We leave in 3 days for BER flying through LHR. We have the 6 pack of covid tests, but scheduled a local free test for tomorrow, and have the portable test as a back up if results do not come in time.

Since we are leaving Seattle and going to lower risk countries, we feel safer:cool:. Lots of changes since we booked, including canceling the greek cruise. We are staying in Germany, Czech, and Austrian and traveling 1st class/Business by train for best spacing in seats, thankyou Seat 61. I do not expect issues, but if we get delayed or worse, it would not suck so much to be in such nice areas in the fall.

So, while we are looking forward to this trip, we are still at risk of canceling. Our daughter is on her way, so she is all set for a great trip with small crowds.....

We'll be following you in Berlin in 3 weeks. And we're just going to Dresden from there since my wife's having mobility issues. With a folding electric travel scooter, we have travel figured out unassisted.

Sorry you cancelled your Greek cruise, but those islands will be there next year. Our cruise to Malta, the Greek Isles and Turkey was one of our travel highlights.

We also loved our earlier trip to Prague and Vienna, but realize those trains are old and slow for the most part--ex-Rusky trains.

Looks as if we'll just have to register online to get into Germany since we're fully vaccinated. And get a quick Covid test the day before flying home to get back into Atlanta.

Here's what I got from USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ns-entry-requirements-us-tourists/5667008001/

Italy added testing and self-isolation requirements for American travelers on the heels of the European Union removing the USA from its safe travel list.
Though the most dramatic policy changes affect unvaccinated travelers – who are still welcome to enter the country, so long as they take the time to self-isolate – vaccinated travelers will have to jump through additional hoops of new testing requirements. Travelers can offer proof of vaccination through a paper card with a CDC logo.
All travelers who have been in the USA in the past 14 days are subject to Italy's heightened protocols before entry. All travelers, regardless of vaccination status, must:

1. Take a molecular or antigenic swab coronavirus test and get a negative result within 72 hours before arrival. Children under 6 are exempt.
  2. Fill out a digital passenger locator form, which aids contact tracing efforts if a traveler is exposed to COVID-19 during a trip.
Unvaccinated people who cannot show proof of recovery must self-isolate for five days and get tested again after that period. According to the U.S. Embassy's website, antigen tests in Italy cost about $25, and PCR tests cost about $75.

Back
Top Bottom