Anyone Considering Cancelling Travel

10 day quarantine even if vaccinated? Ouch!

Well that will certainly keep the all the US tourists away.

That's why I skipped a 3-day stopover in London this year. No point in going if you have to quarantine the entire time.

I have an update on my DD honeymoon. They landed Sept 4 into AMS at 8:40 am! The 10 day quarantine mandate started at 9:00 am. Call it an omen for a great Honeymoon trip, they made it easily by 20 minutes under the wire.

We get our test in about an hour, fingers crossed, and we head through LHR to BER on Monday.

I have an update on my DD honeymoon. They landed Sept 4 into AMS at 8:40 am! The 10 day quarantine mandate started at 9:00 am. Call it an omen for a great Honeymoon trip, they made it easily by 20 minutes under the wire.

So lucky for them, as it would have been a mad scramble and expensive to quarantine, considering they didn't plan on it. :popcorn:

We get our test in about an hour, fingers crossed, and we head through LHR to BER on Monday.

OMG that was close!

I'd be surprised if the Delta surge hasn't largely subsided in Europe (and the U.S.) by early/mid October. That's when I'm thinking about booking some domestic air travel and looking at overseas flights again.

I posted the above about three weeks ago, but I doubt it's going to be quite that straightforward. The Delta surge seems highly regional, even within countries, so there isn't really one monolithic surge/wave. It's likely to be on the decline by early October here in the U.S. (well, here in the Southeast), but it may be on the rise in certain parts of Europe or elsewhere at that time. And even if Delta is globally trending downward in a major way by Oct 1, the next variant (Lambda, Mu?) might be surging in some spots.

This, unfortunately, is the world we are all stuck with for some time. Until SARS-CoV-2 becomes a "nuisance" virus along the lines of influenza (H1N1, H3N2, etc.), we will be dealing with variants and surges and vaccine boosters, etc. But, as I've said before, life is short and life must go on. I will be resuming travel, both domestic and international, to the degree that it's both safe and enjoyable. It made sense to put travel on pause for most of 2020 and much of 2021, but at this point I think we are dealing with a "new normal" that makes travel riskier but still generally pretty safe for the fully vaccinated/boostered who follow the prevailing public health guidance.

DW and I love traveling too much to let the endless vagaries of COVID put it on hold indefinitely!

That's a really harsh provision. I assume it was cut that close because the plane landed late? It would be reasonable to require that the test be within a given interval of your SCHEDULED arrival unless something really weird happened like being diverted someplace and staying in a hotel overnight.

The cruise line I took wanted it within 4 days of embarcation. I verified that a test on Monday was OK even though the test was at 10 AM Monday and embarcation was at 4 PM Friday. I was leaving Thursday AM and overnighting in Anchorage so I didn't want to, say, test Wednesday and get the results when I landed in Anchorage Thursday night!

It doesn't seem right to quarantine passengers because the airline got them on the ground later than scheduled.

I have postponed a long weekend trip to a much more rural county of my state. This county has a full vaccination rate in the high 30% area and lots of hospital beds filled with Covid patients. (My home county has a full vaccination rate over 60%, but we still have hospitals filing up because of the non vaccinated in our area but we still have some room.) The guv has mandated masks for everybody indoors except when eating. That makes wandering about some cute little town visiting historic sites less appealing. So, here we go again. I will keep my money and they can keep their restaurant meals, hotel rooms, historical sites, etc.

I am hoping that in the next four weeks the rate of infection will drop and the area will be safer to visit. I might go then. Or I might just call it quits for travel to that area until Spring at the earliest. We'll see.

That's a really harsh provision. I assume it was cut that close because the plane landed late?

No actually, Netherlands changed its entry requirement effective 9 am on 9/4, but released this mandate on 9/3 just prior to their take off from Seattle. If they arrived after 9 am, they would have to quarantine even though they are vaccinated AND tested negative prior to boarding. They got lucky, or maybe they planned the timing for arrivals after 9 am.

I...........at this point I think we are dealing with a "new normal" that makes travel riskier but still generally pretty safe for the fully vaccinated/boostered who follow the prevailing public health guidance.

DW and I love traveling too much to let the endless vagaries of COVID put it on hold indefinitely!

I am also feeling the strong desire to travel, and since we take procautions and are fully vacinated (but no booster yet), it's not the disease that scares me off travel.

It's the various rules and regulations imposed by gov'ts in their effort to do what they feel is best.
The ever changing travel landscape makes it hard to plan. For example not knowing if we will have to quarantine (on our dime) in various countries.
Or our test just prior to a flight is bad, so the entire trip is hosed.. :(

We did not cancel, but Princess did it to us. They are stirring their schedules with a stick.
They cancelled our Hawaii cruise and offered us some alternatives. If any of you are booked, here is the link:
https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/
Had a great time on a Majestic Princess August 15th cruise to Alaska. Did all ports independently. Decided to do the Caribbean / Panama Canal 10-day cruise in December 2021 in a bubble. Only ship excursions. Our testing rate is high here but positivity rate low. A little concerned about flying into Florida a day early but still going. Hope the worry in December is about the flu not covid

Had a great time on a Majestic Princess August 15th cruise to Alaska. Did all ports independently. Decided to do the Caribbean / Panama Canal 10-day cruise in December 2021 in a bubble. Only ship excursions. Our testing rate is high here but positivity rate low. A little concerned about flying into Florida a day early but still going. Hope the worry in December is about the flu not covid
I don't blame you for being concerned. Florida is the most dangerous place in the country right now. Many hospitals are so full that someone has to die to make room for a new patient. Some hospitals are using emergency tents outside to take the overflow others are sending people home to try again the next day. 90 percent of the patients are not vaccinated which is not surprising given the very low vaccination rate. Although the number of ICU patients is declining slightly it is still and will continue to be a serious issue as people with other major health issues are not able to receive medical help in a timely manner.

I know. I live here where it is happening.

Cheers!

Had some ideas percolating about travel. Was looking into maybe around the country (USA) Amtrak trips with stopovers at some different places I would like to explore.

But never got beyond the daydreaming stage.

So, no definite or booked travels to cancel.

Had some ideas percolating about travel. Was looking into maybe around the country (USA) Amtrak trips with stopovers at some different places I would like to explore.

But never got beyond the daydreaming stage.

So, no definite or booked travels to cancel.

Seems like train travel would be riskier than any other standard form. Airplanes have serious air flow management and filtration and are shorter duration for the same distance. Driving oneself obviously takes longer but then you completely control your immediate surrounds the vast majority of the trip time.

We fly to Washington State tomorrow for my niece's wedding this coming weekend. Very early flight. We already did a Covid test out of an abundance of caution, and will retest a few days after return (3 days after flying, 5 days after the wedding). Got our N95s for the flights/AIRPORTS and other masks for the rest of the trip. Feel ready and confident. Annoyed at the people not wearing masks and unvaccinated.

Seems like train travel would be riskier than any other standard form.

Yes, that occurred to me when I was thinking about it.

Plus, one of the big draws of Amtrak to me was getting a private room, and then the meals in the dining car are all included. Amtrak dining car meals were very very good. But with Covid, the whole dining car experience has likely gone by the way side. Not sure if they could duplicate the meal quality with dining car meals delivered to your room---for a whole train full of passengers.

Plus, one of the big draws of Amtrak to me was getting a private room, and then the meals in the dining car are all included. Amtrak dining car meals were very very good. But with Covid, the whole dining car experience has likely gone by the way side. Not sure if they could duplicate the meal quality with dining car meals delivered to your room---for a whole train full of passengers.

It appears that they have brought back dining room service to *some* lines of service. This is from June, so not sure if that is still the case.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/06/03/amtrak-dining-car-service/

And another couple from Sept 2021

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/09...ice-has-come-back-amtrak-heres-what-its-like/

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-train-travel-more-comfortable

We just returned home from our fifth set of domestic flights since the pandemic began. The only negative was the requirement to be masked in airports and on planes. People have really been great about complying, and fortunately we never saw any indication of the unruly passenger issues that have been reported.

We are still holding off on international travel until things calm down some more in Europe, but domestically it has all been good.

We've done a private room before for an overnight.
It was cozy, the rocking of the train at night made sleeping less easy.
My concern during covid would be the air system, being in a separate room is only good if you get fresh air, or they filter the air like a plane.
We couldn't open any window in our room.

We just returned home from our fifth set of domestic flights since the pandemic began. The only negative was the requirement to be masked in airports and on planes. People have really been great about complying, and fortunately we never saw any indication of the unruly passenger issues that have been reported.

We are still holding off on international travel until things calm down some more in Europe, but domestically it has all been good.

I dunno if I would be as concerned about COVID in Europe right now; their rates per million population are much less than they are in the US right now. Full disclosure, I am holding off on European travel right now since I am waiting until more attractions etc. are open. Maybe 2022?

Our trip to Berlin is still on in two weeks. Looks like our two vaccinations will suffice. Not clear about transferring planes in Schiphol, but we're going to get tested the day before we live since the Netherlands is tightening down on incoming tourists.

Unvaccinated can get into Germany, but they'll have to test for Covid every 3 days. Those with full vaccinations are okay.

I understand the German tourism is down substantially, and museums require masking. Sounds as if everything's pretty quiet. Some museums are closed and/or operating shorter hours. Of course all time in airports and on airplanes require N95 or better masks. Germany is much tighter on Covid regulations than we're experiencing at home.

We're of real retirement age, however we're not ready to hang up our international travel. Got to have something to look forward to, especially since we seldom do any domestic travel.

We are sitting in Vienna as I write this having breakfast before our train over to Munich.

They ask one of the three gees when you go into a restaurant and we showed them our CDC vaccine card and all is good.

The infection rate here in Europe is not as high as was mentioned before and they are very cautious but many people think they don’t need to wear a mask if they’re vaccinated.

The only pain is getting a Covid test for air travel as the trains don’t require it when you travel between countries but they do require you to wear a mask so we travel in business or first class to keep our space.

Germany has free test sites in several locations in most cities. We will get tested tomorrow in Munich for our travel home, we have to layover in London which makes it a pain.

The weather has been great except I think it’s going to rain our last day in Munich it’s been fairly easy to get into very nice restaurants and other activities the crowds aren’t as large as normal for September.

I just got another text reminder from British Airways reminding us to upload our travel docs to the VeriFLY app. They keep you posted by text when you need to get your test done before your flights.

Like was mentioned before if you are confident travel across the United States there should be no issue traveling into Europe or it’s actually safer?

IMG_1339.JPG
Five points for the first person that can identify the guy in the photo attached I ran into in Wien yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom