Anyone got any travel planned? 2018 version

So I ask this: has anyone been to the Caribbean post hurricanes? We are doing research on the state of our favorite island: St. John.

Anybody been?

St. John is still still pretty bad.

The largest resort on the island, Caneel Bay, hasn't rebuilt. They are wrangling over renegotiating terms on their "RUE".

The Rockefellers owned most of the island back in the 50's and gave the lion share of it to the government to establish the National Park there. The area where Caneel Bay is/was was set aside under a Retained Use Agreement (RUE) which was going to expire in about 5 years. They aren't going to rebuilt Caneel Bay with only a couple of years to recoup their investment.

There is a bill in congress to give them a new 60 year RUE with terms similar to the old RUE. Some/many folks in the USVI are trying to get different terms.

Until this is resolved, I can't see Caneel Bay rebuilding.

It's too bad since Caneel Bay was the largest employer on the island.

St. John is still still pretty bad.

The largest resort on the island, Caneel Bay, hasn't rebuilt. They are wrangling over renegotiating terms on their "RUE".

The Rockefellers owned most of the island back in the 50's and gave the lion share of it to the government to establish the National Park there. The area where Caneel Bay is/was was set aside under a Retained Use Agreement (RUE) which was going to expire in about 5 years. They aren't going to rebuilt Caneel Bay with only a couple of years to recoup their investment.

There is a bill in congress to give them a new 60 year RUE with terms similar to the old RUE. Some/many folks in the USVI are trying to get different terms.

Until this is resolved, I can't see Caneel Bay rebuilding.

It's too bad since Caneel Bay was the largest employer on the island.
I believe the Westin is also closed for now.

But we do not stay at either spot so not really an issue.

Reef damage, water quality and beach conditions are my big questions.

Wife, 5 year old daughter and myself are headed to County Mayo Ireland for 3 weeks, end of June early July. Actually a family reunion as its the first time my daughter has met a number of my family in the U.S. Should be a lot of laughs and fun over a couple of pints.

Just curious... Has anybody tried to bring home a Kinder Surprise Egg from Europe? Any problems getting it through customs?

Just curious... Has anybody tried to bring home a Kinder Surprise Egg from Europe? Any problems getting it through customs?

lol.. i noticed just yesterday they are selling them for $0.99 each at my local grocery store. boxes and boxes left over from Easter.

come north young man.

We’re off to Savannah GA next month at DW suggestion, staying in the historic district by the river. First time for us both. Choosing a hotel has been interesting. Many of the most highly rated hotels riverside seem to be converted warehouses and the like, with perhaps not the most thought put into the construction materials. People would rate them 5 out of 5, but then in the text of the review would write about “paper thin walls” or “could clearly hear conversations in the next room.” For us, that scratches the hotel from our list; too major of an annoyance, no matter how good the location. While we have a tentative reservation in place, any (soundproof) recommendations are welcome!

We’re off to Savannah GA next month at DW suggestion, staying in the historic district by the river. First time for us both. Choosing a hotel has been interesting. Many of the most highly rated hotels riverside seem to be converted warehouses and the like, with perhaps not the most thought put into the construction materials. People would rate them 5 out of 5, but then in the text of the review would write about “paper thin walls” or “could clearly hear conversations in the next room.” For us, that scratches the hotel from our list; too major of an annoyance, no matter how good the location. While we have a tentative reservation in place, any (soundproof) recommendations are welcome!

I have stayed at this hotel:
COMFORT SUITES HISTORIC DISTRICT
630 W. Bay Street, Savannah, GA, 31401, US. It was clean and located just a few blocks from downtown. Don't recall hearing any neighbors during our stay.

We stayed at the Planter's Inn .It is walking distance to everything .It is a lovely hotel with breakfast included .

Reminds me of a time I stayed in a 5star rated lodge on the slopes overlooking Lake Wakatipu's Frankton Arm. Although proximity to Queenstown was blocks... the hotel experience was dismal for such a highly rated place.

The paper thin walls...someone checked in next to us late the second night we were there, and we quickly realized we were lucky nobody had checked in the night before. A haunting COPD experience that kept us up as they kept going out for a smoke, slamming the door, then coming back and suffering the consequences for about 20-25 minutes and then..another smoke. Heard some yelling in russian or ukranian when we first got there, otherwise normally I'd have said something with a friendly knock. I've since learned to carry noise cancelling headphones.

I complained to the concierge at checkout but she just told us to have a fun trip. Which we did.

Just booked a 4 night cruise to Victoria island and Vancouver for $252 a person, pretty hard to pass on $63 a night with meals included

I became really frustrated with trying to get a driver for the Ukraine so I booked a 12 night British Isles cruise June 17th to July 1st. Hard to pass up a (single person) cruise at $2800 :)

We were tiptoeing through the tulips today!

Also cycled 10 miles through the Dutch countryside, past a lot of blooming fields. Tulips and daffodils are everywhere!

Last edited:
Just booked a local appreciation discounted fare for a small cruise ship tour in May. This is an eight day cruise visiting Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjords in Alaska. It’s one of those things we’ve always said we should do and the deal was just too good to pass up, even after our trip to Hawaii this month.

Wow, and Victoria too, so nice.

This will be my second or third time to Victoria but first for my wife, I think she’ll be blown away by it. I just finished booking the return flight and couple night extra stay in Vancouver with a grand total of just under $1100, it would of been nice if disembarking was Victoria

Just booked a local appreciation discounted fare for a small cruise ship tour in May. This is an eight day cruise visiting Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjords in Alaska. It’s one of those things we’ve always said we should do and the deal was just too good to pass up, even after our trip to Hawaii this month.

That’s a fun cruise, glacier bay is awesome, great for pictures

We were tiptoeing through the tulips today!

Also cycled 10 miles through the Dutch countryside, past a lot of blooming fields. Tulips and daffodils are everywhere!

Kukenhof?

This is the time of the year!

Off to Malta and Western Sicily for 2 weeks starting tomorrow!

DD and new hubby are currently in Maui on their honeymoon. :flowers:

Myself and two friends are lining up our June RV adventure to Cedarville, UP, MI in early June to build a Northeaster Dory:

https://www.clcboats.com/modules/ca...oats&code=northeaster-dory-rowing-sailing-kit

IMG_2488.jpg

Last edited:
That's got to be over a 1000 mile drive?

Good time to get away from the TX heat?

Kukenhof?

This is the time of the year!

Today and tomorrow maybe. The weather turned lousy, so we tried to get the main cycling sightseeing in yesterday afternoon when it was sunny and dry. We will probably be under an umbrella all day today.

We are heading to Portugal in just over a month, it should be a good time. We will do some hiking and wine tasting, and lots of eating.

^ On my bucket list. Please update us on how your trip is going once you are there. Heading to Canada on a hunting trip in June then on a month-long rv trip to NC after that. To Wyoming on a hunting trip in October. I'm going to have to get a job to rest up after that :LOL:.

Back
Top Bottom