Apple AirTag

We have been getting "use" out of our AirTags recently. In June, our movers packed up all of our goods and took them their facility to await delivery instructions from us as we were moving 1500 miles away. We put 2 AirTags in there. One attached to DH's phone and one to mine. (An AirTag can only attach to one phone).

We put the tags inside large plastic file boxes in the middle inside I think a folder.

For the last 3 and a half months whenever I check I get a message of when the AirTag was last found (usually that morning). It hasn't moved (which is unsurprising as our goods should not have yet moved).

On Monday the movers are supposed to start moving our stuff. I will be very interested to "follow" along to see where they go. A number of people on the moving subreddit gave me this idea. It came in handy for them when their deliveries were delayed.

My Apple Maps shows “parked car” where I’m parked without an AirTag. I don’t remember setting this up but I must have.

I do plan to do that once we get settled. More for convenience than because I need it. The Volvo software which show me where the car is parked. Still it is easy to use Find Me on the Phone so probably will throw one in the glove box.

So, a question was asked today by a friend if an air tag is placed in a sealed container will it still work? Anyone have any experience or know if it will work in a airtight container if it will work?

I know this inquiry was from awhile ago. Our AirTags are buried in sealed (taped up) plastic file boxes and then taken by the movers. They show up just fine. Of course, depends on what kind of container I would imagine.

Good to know, I bet there are some other devices where this is a "feature"..

The internet says you can use alcohol and even water to wipe away the bitter coating.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/so-i-learned-the-hard-way-what-bitterant-is-now-i-leave-you-with-a-tip.2371068/

"Then I realized, its most likely water soluble, right? You need to the bitterant to dissolve on the tongue to be effective. Sure enough, if you take a damp paper towel and rub the negative side for 15 seconds or so, it comes right off. Popped them into the airtags and they worked perfectly."

OK - another good tip!

We have been getting "use" out of our AirTags recently. In June, our movers packed up all of our goods and took them their facility to await delivery instructions from us as we were moving 1500 miles away. We put 2 AirTags in there. One attached to DH's phone and one to mine. (An AirTag can only attach to one phone).

This isn't correct.

I have 3 AirTags and they are associated with your AppleID, not the device which is logged into that AppleID.

For instance, my 3 active AirTags are visible on both my iPhone and my iPad, because they're both logged into the same AppleID account.

They sell AirTags in a 4-pack, so it's not one AirTag per Apple device.

Right, it’s associated with your AppleID. I have several AirTags plus I can see DH’s AirTags too.

Ever wonder what happens to cars that are totaled by the insurance company? We had an AirTag on my DFIL’s car when it was in an accident last year and totaled by State Farm. The AirTag is still working. The car is in Tbilisi, Georgia.

IMG_5192.JPG

Ever wonder what happens to cars that are totaled by the insurance company? We had an AirTag on my DFIL’s car when it was in an accident last year and totaled by State Farm. The AirTag is still working. The car is in Tbilisi, Georgia.

:LOL: That's amazing. Wouldn't you love to see what it looks like?

Crazy!

Went driving east/west along US77 then I-10 we always run across several 3-cars towed heading to Mexico I assume. Obviously those towed cars can roll.

Last edited:
They have iPhones in Georgia, the country?

This isn't correct.

I have 3 AirTags and they are associated with your AppleID, not the device which is logged into that AppleID.

For instance, my 3 active AirTags are visible on both my iPhone and my iPad, because they're both logged into the same AppleID account.

correct. we have three devices, two iPhones and an iPad. all are signed into the same account and all theee can see our various AirTags.

This isn't correct.

I wasn't saying it was one AirTag per device. A device can easily have more than one AirTag associated with it.

I said "One attached to DH's phone and one to mine. (An AirTag can only attach to one phone)."

The one phone was referring to DH and I. We each have our own Apple ID. The AirTag can only be associated with one AppleID. Yes, if I had 2 Apple phones associated with my ID then I could see an AirTag on both phones. I have a MacBookPro and I assume I can see the AirTag on it (although I haven't looked). When I go to Find My on my phone I can "see" the AirTag associated with my phone. I can't see the one associated with my husband's phone.

that's precisely why we use the same apple id. if one phone is lost/stolen with or without one of the cars we can still "track it" with the other phone or our tablet. redundancy is a good thing.

I wasn't saying it was one AirTag per device. A device can easily have more than one AirTag associated with it.

I said "One attached to DH's phone and one to mine. (An AirTag can only attach to one phone)."

The one phone was referring to DH and I. We each have our own Apple ID. The AirTag can only be associated with one AppleID. Yes, if I had 2 Apple phones associated with my ID then I could see an AirTag on both phones. I have a MacBookPro and I assume I can see the AirTag on it (although I haven't looked). When I go to Find My on my phone I can "see" the AirTag associated with my phone. I can't see the one associated with my husband's phone.

I am able to see all DH’s devices including AirTags even though we each have our own Apple ID. This is probably because we have Family Sharing set up. I don’t remember if I had to do anything else to see his stuff in the Find Me app.

I used AirTags for the first time on my trip to Europe. Had one in my handbag and one in my checked in bag. I could track it in flight. So cool

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpeg
    IMG_0421.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 13
You must have had Wifi access on the flight.

For me, it usually shows my checked bag somewhere in the departing terminal.

Then after arriving at the new airport and arriving at baggage claim, it will show my checked bag detected somewhere back at the gate, where probably some baggage handlers unloading the plane has iPhones.

I am able to see all DH’s devices including AirTags even though we each have our own Apple ID. This is probably because we have Family Sharing set up. I don’t remember if I had to do anything else to see his stuff in the Find Me app.

We have family sharing set up but I can't see his devices. I don't think we share location though so maybe that is the reason. We don't have a reason not to share locations just have never set it up. Will have to check.

Edit: OK. I set up sharing locations so I can see his Apple devices and he can see mine. However - I still can't see the AirTag attached to his Apple ID and he can't see the AirTag attached to mine. In "Find My" I see his Apple Devices when I go to Devices. His AirTag doesn't how up there. If I go to Items I see the location of my AirTag but not his.

Last edited:

Then after arriving at the new airport and arriving at baggage claim, it will show my checked bag detected somewhere back at the gate, where probably some baggage handlers unloading the plane has iPhones.
We are often able to use T-Mobile on our flights.

But we don’t get many more updates than the United app bag tracking gives us. When it’s sitting in some holding area or in the airplane hold there is no activity.

But sometimes we can see them moving through the airport. Yes, it depends on the baggage handlers.

Last edited:
We have family sharing set up but I can't see his devices. I don't think we share location though so maybe that is the reason. We don't have a reason not to share locations just have never set it up. Will have to check.
Yes, we share locations just with each other, and I’m often looking to see where DH is. We have really big parks nearby.

It was the free (limited) Wi-Fi (I am not T-Mobile customer). I could send text messages and iMessages only. This is the first time I have seen it on United (two weeks ago)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom