Are you FI? Still work for insurance?

Same here - I can get retiree ins at full cost (around $1k a month) or a cost-shared Silver ACA plan for less than $200.

Pretty simple decision there., but more importantly the pre-existing clause made the RE decision easier for me because I'll always have choices. And I think no matter what the ACA future holds that one benefit will never go away.

Megacorp defined pension benefit @60 : $36k (not too shabby)
Megacorp retiree family healthcare @60: $17k (are you kiddin?)

Obamacare /CHIP healthcare @ 60: $1k

...I'm outta there....

Medicare Part B coverage is more then 1K a year! and most people need to purchase additional Medicare coverage..get ready, at 65 your costs will rise..does this make sense to anyone?

While I can get pre-65 ACA for $1K a year - - I budget $575 per month once the 2 of us turn 65 for medicare plus plan f

Maybe its me but...

HCI is about $15K per year.

If $15K per year is making the difference between working or not working, I'm questioning how robust one's claim to financial independence is.

Yeah, it's great to have someone else pay for it but it seems one should have a bit more cushion in your plan. If $15K blows you out of the water, maybe you're not as FI as you think.

I am grateful for Cal-Cobra. In California, after 18 months of Federal COBRA ends, insurance companies are required by law to provide coverage for another 18 months. They may charge no more than 110% of the total premium paid by the employer. For me, this comes to a little over $5K/yr. Definitely beats ACA pricing (to include same low co-pays) while providing me same full coverage I had while working for a total of 3 years. Only downside is dental ends after 18 months of Federal COBRA as it isn't covered under Cal-Cobra.

HCI is about $15K per year.

If $15K per year is making the difference between working or not working, I'm questioning how robust one's claim to financial independence is.

Since most early retirees will have paid off all their debt, health care winds up being the single biggest budget item.

Back
Top Bottom