Arizona Relocation?

TKDenver

Confused about dryer sheets
We are considering a move to be closer to family in Phoenix. But not in Phoenix – too hot!

Here are some of our considerations and questions:

1) Within 2 hours drive of Phoenix

2) Summer climate similar to Denver (we will be wintering elsewhere)

3) Available and active golf, tennis, and pickleball communities

4) Biking – preferably paved or hard-packed trails/paths

5) Healthcare availability. What is the AZ ACA program like? We have 3 more years until Medicare.

6) Social scene – happy hours, wine tasting, live music, etc.

So far we have started researching Payson and Prescott. But we would like more suggestions before we narrow it down and go spend some time in the potential areas this summer.

I will be watching this thread with interest but one of my large issues with such a move would be water policy/water scarcity. I'm not sure how that plays out over the next 20-30 years and impacts.

We are considering a move to be closer to family in Phoenix. But not in Phoenix – too hot!

Here are some of our considerations and questions:

1) Within 2 hours drive of Phoenix

2) Summer climate similar to Denver (we will be wintering elsewhere)

3) Available and active golf, tennis, and pickleball communities

4) Biking – preferably paved or hard-packed trails/paths

5) Healthcare availability. What is the AZ ACA program like? We have 3 more years until Medicare.

6) Social scene – happy hours, wine tasting, live music, etc.

So far we have started researching Payson and Prescott. But we would like more suggestions before we narrow it down and go spend some time in the potential areas this summer.

We are happy in the Sedona area but it still may a bit warm for folks used to Denver summers. Both Prescott and Payson are quite warm too. In Arizona, temperatures depend mainly on elevation so consider that when you are choosing. Might I suggest Flagstaff which has great summers but I'd hate the snow in the winter. Of course that's not a consideration for you. It's a couple of hours north of the Phoenix northern suburbs. Lots of outdoors stuff to do. Healthcare wise, it has the only Level 1 trauma center outside of Tucson and metro Phoenix. Rural healthcare in Arizona often leaves something to be desired. We have been happy with our primary care in the Sedona area but for more advanced stuff we look south to metro Phoenix. Flagstaff is a college town with all the advantages that entails. For wineries, you have to go south of Sedona to the Verde Valley. Lots of musical entertainment in Flagstaff for all tastes.

I will be watching this thread with interest but one of my large issues with such a move would be water policy/water scarcity. I'm not sure how that plays out over the next 20-30 years and impacts.
Actually, Arizona has plenty of water when you consider that 3/4 of it is used for agriculture. At some point, priorities will change and growing thousands of acres of cotton will no longer be encouraged and subsidized to the extent it is now. We live near Sedona. Our water comes from wells and our village is hemmed in by the National Forest so there is little room to grow. Our local water company has determined at our present usage and predicted future usage, we have more than 100 years' supply.

Payson & Show Low. both are closer to metro PHX and have summer climates more like Denver than either Sedona or Prescott.

Payson & Show Low. both are closer to metro PHX and have summer climates more like Denver than either Sedona or Prescott.
Payson and Prescott have similar elevations and similar summer temperatures. Actually Prescott is slightly cooler in July. Both Prescott and Payson are under 2 hours from the Phoenix metro area. Show Low has the cooler summers (6300' elevation) but it's 3 hours from the metro Phoenix area. Neither Payson nor Show Low (with their small populations) have much in the way of advanced medical facilities. Prescott and its adjacent Prescott Valley have a combined population of near 90,000 - several times the population of Payson and Show Low combined.

The other issue that looms for remote rural Arizona towns is the threat of summer wild fires. The larger the city, the more resources there will be to keep wild fires at bay.

I would maintain that considering the O.P.'s needs, Flagstaff might be the best option but the Prescott area would work too.

Arizona native here, and I second the recommendations for Prescott and Flagstaff. Payson is a bit remote, health care is 2nd or 3rd tier due to lower population. As mentioned, Sedona is lovely, but remote with a small population and commensurate level of services. Expect to go to Phoenix for any really complicated health problem or Flag if it's not to difficult.

As to water, I've been following that issue since the Groundwater Management Act passed in 1980. I agree with Ian S that it is *not* an availability problem. There have already been multiple tens of thousands acres of farm land in the west and east valley converted from cotton/alfalfa to housing in the last 30 years. Ag operations such as dairies need to be close to population centers to be economically viable, and they are trying to figure out how to stay in business with shrinking local feedstocks. I see it as a function of price/highest use.

Southern Arizona native here, now an Oregonian. Still have huge Hispanic family in Southern AZ. I do believe the water issue is a real issue. Look at the Colorado river..dries up before it gets to Gulf of Mexico. Dad was a farmer (lettuce, melons, corn) until energy prices became too expensive to pump water out of the ground. That was 1970.

But you aren’t going to farm. All of those areas north of Phoenix are nice.
Good you are not looking at Phoenix...or Tucson. In Oregon rain can keep you inside if you let it. In Phoenix it’s the sun that drives you inside, it’s a matter of survival.

I think with the goal of avoiding the heat, you can overshoot. For example, I don't think Flag is much of an alternative to PHX as a year-round destination It is just too different with a lot of snow. Great in summer.

Same with Show Low.

If I were doing this and I may be at some point my larger objective would be avoiding the congestion and worsening air quality in PHX. I may be on the minority but I think the heat is less an issue due to the low humidity. But radiation would be given rear round sun exposure.

But for the OP looking for a summer destination, Flag might be the ticket. Most similar to Denver in my opinion and with a lot more to do than most others, and missing the very touristy and mystical (NTTAWWT) vibe of Sedona which is not everyone's cup of tea.

I also see the water as a real issue but appreciate the hopeful comments from those more knowledgeable.

Payson seems like the closest place that is cooler in the summer. It is right on the edge of the pine tree line. You can also continue eastward towards Kohls Ranch, Christopher Creek & Colcord Mountain area. Lots of homes in the trees there.
They do get occasional large amounts of snow however.

Old boss lives in Flagstaff and he loves it. Snow is much less (usually) than we were used to back in the corn belt. If I were doing it, I'd live in Flagstaff or similar alt. in summer and Phoenix or similar alt. in winter. Of course, we actually live in Honolulu in winter (well, 8 months) and at the old homestead in the corn belt in summer - not ideal for the later, but that's where family and friends are concentrated (and we have AC.)

These decisions are easier, the more money you have in your stash. When we first fell in love with Hawaii, we half seriously thought we could live under a blue tarp on the beach. Cooler heads eventually prevailed and we realized we'd never want to give up our old "home" in the corn belt. Nor would we settle for anything less than a (smallish) condo in a nice area of HNL. So with those parameters, we made a plan to live both places. Works for us but not for everyone as YMMV.

I'm not retired (yet), but I currently live in Flagstaff. I'll second the recommendation. I love the weather here. The summers are a blend between cooler temps and lots of rain (the monsoon) and beautiful sunny days in the 80s. Rarely gets much over 90. I've lived in Albuquerque and Salt Lake City - the summers here are the best. Lots of great hiking and biking trails. Good happy hours and wineries nearby. I like the winters here - snowy but very sunny.

Flag is very expensive to rent or buy a home. It is difficult to find anything in my neighborhood (30 years old and modest) and what is for sale is at ~ $350 per square foot.

In general I find Arizona pretty reasonable on costs - income tax, property are low, sales and vehicle tax high.

No worries about water here - long term projections for the aquifer are fine,

Good luck!

I'm not retired (yet), but I currently live in Flagstaff. I'll second the recommendation. I love the weather here. The summers are a blend between cooler temps and lots of rain (the monsoon) and beautiful sunny days in the 80s. Rarely gets much over 90. I've lived in Albuquerque and Salt Lake City - the summers here are the best. Lots of great hiking and biking trails. Good happy hours and wineries nearby. I like the winters here - snowy but very sunny.

Flag is very expensive to rent or buy a home. It is difficult to find anything in my neighborhood (30 years old and modest) and what is for sale is at ~ $350 per square foot.

In general I find Arizona pretty reasonable on costs - income tax, property are low, sales and vehicle tax high.

Good luck!

Does the altitude ever become an issue? I've wondered about folks with compromised lungs living at that altitude. Thanks.

Does the altitude ever become an issue? I've wondered about folks with compromised lungs living at that altitude. Thanks.
Yes it does. Folks with COPD for example, are likely to have their symptoms worsen. Flagstaff is at an altitude of 7,000 ft and even healthy people are apt to find themselves huffing and puffing during gentle exercise. I used to notice this when I lived in Phoenix (elev: 1100 ft) and would go for a day trip to Flagstaff. Now, having lived for about three years in the Sedona area (elev: 4200 ft) going to Flagstaff isn't as noticeable but I'm still careful not to overdo it exercise-wise.

Attachments

• 6E2E4D46-260B-4A04-BB55-37D61A29BB24.jpeg
    6E2E4D46-260B-4A04-BB55-37D61A29BB24.jpeg
    545.2 KB · Views: 70

Good luck!

This is interesting. Flag is on my short list, and after three years seriously flirting with Santa Fe, and having a dalliance with the SLC area, I have come to the conclusion — this week— that neither is “it.”

30 years old, modest and ~$350/sq foot sounds very promising indeed — if one can find it. Time for more research ….

I was worried about that as well. I am on an oxygen concentrator at night (since I lived in SLC) because of sleep apnea and asthma. I actually find it easier at altitude than the winter inversion in SLC and Albuquerque (and Denver). I don't notice any issues, unless I have spent a week or two at sea level and then try to do too much. But after a few days everything is back to normal.

It also gives you a little boost when traveling. I went to Yosemite last year and ordered a high alcohol beer. The bartender warned me "that is 7 % and we are at 5000 ft you should be careful". I wanted to say dude I live at 7000 ft. I'm good. I hiked 8 or 9 miles in Yosemite and air wasn't a problem - just my knees.

I used to live at 7100 ft elevation in the east mountains of Albuquerque. The main thing I noticed was getting more winded when doing some heavy exertion work or activity. Otherwise you adapt and didn't notice much effect in normal activities. I can see a person with compromised lung function would be smarter to live at lower elevation, but realistically if you minimize the heavy exertion work I think you would be OK assuming your body had adjusted to the living at higher altitudes for a while.

Tip for those that go up to high altitude, stay hydrated. It helps minimize the altitude headache some people get. But that goes away after about a day as your body adjusts.

I live at 7750', former smoker with no issues. Now I do see people who visit, have a drink, get in the hot springs, and go boom. If you acclimate including hydration it's not a problem for healthy people..

And apparently the water issues directly impact the electric generation for those same most affected states. Doesn’t bode well for an awful lot of people.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opi...ed-actions-interior-only-buy-time/7310121001/

The maximum output for the generators at Glenn Canyon is 1320MW. Compare to the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating station at 3937MW or 1193MW for the natural gas fueled San Tan Generating Station in Gilbert.

I am not trying to downplay the seriousness of the water shortage but it seems as though many times the media picks one of the least important aspects of a problem to beat the drum about.

Hydropower is not a huge player in Arizona.

Arizona State Energy Profile

Last edited:
I still recall all those years ago asking the tour guide at the Hoover dam what might destroy it. He said "lack of water." The dam is built to balance itself against the head of water. If the water were to get too low, the dam would fall back into the empty lake (apparently.) No expert, so don't quote me. But, it sounds dire to be running out of water - for a lot of reasons. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom