Ashamed of being "early retired"?

Milton

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Don't be! According to The Guardian, we are just "middle-class people using rising property prices and a buoyant stock market to become a new leisured aristocracy". "Can anyone retire in their 30s? Meet the people who say yes".

I liked the following analogy:
[E]veryone, whatever their circumstances, can do something to improve their situation. “Sometimes, people tell me that not everyone can get to financial independence... I file that information under ‘N’ for ‘No Sh*t, Sherlock’. Not everyone can run a marathon in three hours either. But more people would be able to run five or 10 miles if they put down the doughnuts and went for a run.”

but I LIKE donuts. running not so much.

Ugh...I *think* I would like to read the article, but with the "PLEASE contribute!!!' banner taking up half of the damn page, I just can't bring myself to do so.

Nonetheless, I guess it's yet another author living beyond their means and are jealous of other's success. Color me surprised.

Edit: A screenshot of the fabulous article.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 71
It may not be possible for very low income people to retire early, but it really is how much you spend, not what you make. We know someone making in the 7 figures a year who has a vacation home in a resort area. We also have friends who never had more than blue collar incomes, retired early and live in the resort area full-time. They do have a much smaller house but don't work at all, have a lot of friends, are big on volunteer work and are very active in their community. It is like our own little, real life version of the investment banker and the Mexican fisherman.

FI is as mature as doing what one can to stay healthy. Until FI, one is a glorified serf.

Upon FI, if one wants to spend everyday at a lagoon counting waterfowl, that is entirely up to them. Personally, I was late to the game, but I coach DS, and some nieces/nephews on FI. The RE stuff? That's for them to figure out.

It may not be possible for very low income people to retire early, but it really is how much you spend, not what you make. We know someone making in the 7 figures a year who has a vacation home in a resort area. We also have friends who never had more than blue collar incomes, retired early and live in the resort area full-time. They do have a much smaller house but don't work at all, have a lot of friends, are big on volunteer work and are very active in their community. It is like our own little, real life version of the investment banker and the Mexican fisherman.

I read that years ago - a wonderful story/lesson. Often times, people buy stuff on credit, so they don't really "own" said stuff. But, that stuff definitely owns them. Sadly, many may never understand that its as simple as that.

Ugh...I *think* I would like to read the article, but with the "PLEASE contribute!!!' banner taking up half of the damn page, I just can't bring myself to do so.
I hear what you're saying, and we all make our own choices; but IMO you are missing out.

Many (most? Almost all?) newspaper websites have now become essentially subscription only. The Guardian is committed to free access and relies upon (entirely optional) donations. You can adjust your settings so that the banner disappears. It's a pretty good deal for cheapskate LBYM types!

Nonetheless, I guess it's yet another author living beyond their means and are jealous of other's success. Color me surprised.

That little X next to the G logo in the upper left corner of the banner will make it go away.

That little X next to the G logo in the upper left corner of the banner will make it go away.

I did *eventually* see that, but of course...it's on the LEFT side, whereas I am used to seeing the X on the right side. Damn Brits...doing it all backwards. :D

I hear what you're saying, and we all make our own choices; but IMO you are missing out.

Many (most? Almost all?) newspaper websites have now become essentially subscription only. The Guardian is committed to free access and relies upon (entirely optional) donations. You can adjust your settings so that the banner disappears. It's a pretty good deal for cheapskate LBYM types!

Perhaps so, and I did finally read the article. IMHO, it was nothing more than piecing together the opinions of several popular FIRE bloggers and lacked any actual journalism. It did confirm for me that MMM is divorced though...so that gives me an idea for a new thread. :)

Last edited:
Great, another chance to pat myself on the back.

Attachments

• patback.jpg
    patback.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 45
I did *eventually* see that, but of course...it's on the LEFT side, whereas I am used to seeing the X on the right side. Damn Brits...doing it all backwards. :D

Yeah, I know, sometimes I feel like I'm on a scavenger hunt figuring out how to close popups!

Not everyone can reach financial independence. That is true.

Doesn't mean I didn't aspire to!

If you click the "X" in the upper left corner of the blue section (next to the "G") it disappears and you get the article on the whole page.

IMHO, it was nothing more than piecing together the opinions of several popular FIRE bloggers and lacked any actual journalism.
That practice seems to be increasingly common. E.g., Rob Carrick is ostensibly a financial columnist for the Globe & Mail, but most of his published writings are mere glorified lists of links to third party blog entries. And so many news features promote their inclusion of "live tweets", as though the latter were a benefit rather than an annoying distraction.

As newspaper subscription and advertising revenues fall, they have less and less resources to ensure quality writing and (especially) editing. So the value of their product diminishes, which contributes to further revenue decline. A real 'death spiral' situation!

It did confirm for me that MMM is divorced though.
It was the first time that I had seen that (not that I follow Peter Adeney or care about his domestic arrangements, so FAIK it may well have been common knowledge within his MMM empire).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom