At age 80?

21 years older than now.
Hopefully will have full cognitive abilities. Anything more is gravy.

Hopefully still hiking the beautiful SW Oregon trails. I'm 69 now but I still meet quite a few hikers in their late 70's and 80's on the trail. I would be most grateful if the fates allow such for moi.

Older, weaker, maybe not physically as comfortable, maybe a little driftier, but still a fundamentally happy person, still interested in the world around me, and still getting the most fun possible out of each remaining day of my life.

So tell us, is that what it's like? :)

Ii think of that often. My prayers are that I will still be hunting, fishing hiking and working my ranch. It will be hard for me to not be able to do those things.

Very much alive:). I just had my 81st birthday. I celebrated my 80th this way:
Today I spent 2 hours working on the 23 ton switch engine we are restoring.
I am extremely thankful that I am in good health

Attachments

• P-51 flight.pdf
    163.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6353.jpg
    IMG_6353.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6343.jpg
    IMG_6343.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
It's hard to believe I was 69 years old the other day. I work hard at maintaining our homes and still move like a young man. My father was able to do hard work at 80 until he had an accident and got pinned to a wall by his truck popping out of gear.

My dread is that my type II diabetes deteriorates and puts me into hemodialysis like my father, uncle and cousin in their ending years. I'm working on diet and improving my blood sugars right now, and it's really paying off.

I hope to be "on the right side of the green" still, and still as active as I can be. Most of my male relatives were dead long before 80, so family history is not on my side, but I try to lead a healthy lifestyle and stay active, so we'll see how it goes......no point in worrying about it, in any case.

^ on both sides of my parents sibling, 16 total, only 7 have made it in their 80's. My parents were the oldest of all the sibling. My mom 92 and my dad 87 so I may not be around doing what I love to do at 80, but I hope so.

I'm with RAE above (same male family longevity) and have 4.5 years to 80. It surprises me when I type that "80" number because I don't feel or act any older than when I was 10 years younger.

Not to be morbid, but mom died at 68 and dad (who took extravagantly good care of himself) went at 74.

So I'll probably be checked out by then. (And having had a fabulously good time! :dance:)

Yeah, I was not trying to be morbid by my family history has few living past 60. None of whom smoked or such to cause it.

I don't think I'll be lucky enough to be like my dad, who at 80 was riding his bike hundreds of miles a year, and is still doing it this year as he turns 86.

Hopefully, still actively taking care of the homestead, and doing much camping with friends like my parents are currently doing with their AIRSTREAM group. Possibly looking to downsize to a condo in the near future at that age. I pray that my health will be good, and mind will be strong.

Last edited:
My mother passed at 61 and my father at 72. There is some hope in their siblings, several of which made it into their 80s and 90s. My big advantage is I never smoked. But I do have heart disease, arthritis and spinal issues. I’m hoping to see my grandkids grow up, so I’m not giving up yet!

Hopefully doing the same at 80 as I am doing now, without yard and house remodel work. Maybe a little less biking and hiking miles

I expect that if i'm not gone naturally by 80 then i'll take matters into my own hands. I expect pain and quality of life to be not worth it by then. I envy those who are able to live relatively pain free and independent lives into their 80's. Many(most?) are not so fortunate.

I'm only the 3rd male in my family, since the civil war, to make it past 60. The others were my DF and his brother. Both were active at 80. My uncle tried his hand at tennis when he was 92.

Back
Top Bottom