At the top of the roller coaster

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I view saving and investment as I view a roller coaster at the local amusement park. The slow click, click. click ride up to the top is what I view as our working (accumulation) years and the trip down is what I view as the retirement (distribution) years. The retirement has an end, but I do not know where it is.

I have been ERd about 4 years, but we have been living comfortably on what DW netted from the local school district. DW retired in June so all of the future income that we will receive (except for an occasional side job or two) will be directly related to our retirement income stream and investments. We are at the top of the coaster now and the view is great, but so is the fear of the unknown. Let the ride down begin.....:eek:

Does anybody else view this whole process like a roller coaster or am I the lone stranger on this one?

I view saving and investment as I view a roller coaster at the local amusement park. The slow click, click. click ride up to the top is what I view as our working (accumulation) years and the trip down is what I view as the retirement (distribution) years. The retirement has an end, but I do not know where it is.

I have been ERd about 4 years, but we have been living comfortably on what DW netted from the local school district. DW retired in June so all of the future income that we will receive (except for an occasional side job or two) will be directly related to our retirement income stream and investments. We are at the top of the coaster now and the view is great, but so is the fear of the unknown. Let the ride down begin.....:eek:

Does anybody else view this whole process like a roller coaster or am I the lone stranger on this one?

You know it's funny. Jarhead, who has been in ER for a LONG time, used to say early retirements usually failed for reasons other than finances. In other words, don't worry too much about the ride down if your planning was sufficient.

Last edited:
When hubby retires in May 2009, we'll have a hefty supply of barf bags on hand. :p

I view the market like a roller coaster and I hate rides .

This is how you "earn" money in the market. If it was so easy, a caveman could do it. :)

We were in Orlando last week, visiting the 4 Disney theme parks. I enjoyed the Space Mountain roller coaster ride. It was a lot of fun. I do not view my investment as a roller coaster ride since my portfolio is fairly conservative albeit the equity portion is quite volatile recently.

My portfolio goes up and down like a gentle wave.

Back
Top Bottom