Attitudes toward personal nudity

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was having a conversation with my rather conservative and younger brother who was criticizing some of my personal habits and somehow the subject of nudity came up. I remarked that when the warm weather starts, (I have never had A/C) I felt more comfortable being in the nude when I was in my apartment . Although, I have never been to a nudist colony, I believe I would have no problem being nude in public, if our society would allowed it.

He thought I was abnormal and nuts.

I have always been single and I'm not sure if my sense of freedom would be diferent if I was married with children.

Since we are a somewhat unique group of people, I was wondering what some of your thougths were about private and public nudity. I was thinking of doing a poll but there were too many options to choose from.

Eh, I used to wander around nude for periods of time without thinking much of it. You might find its different when you have kids, especially small ones.

Gabe thinks its the funniest thing to run up, grab "it" and try to run off. :p

I'm in the camp with your brother. Even if nobody is home, I don't believe in nudity. Nudity is reserved for showers and intimacy, imo :p

The best part of ER is, some days, not getting dressed until after lunch. Oh, maybe you're not stark naked. Those 40 year old gym shorts and shower clogs still look pretty stylish. You get up noting that DW has left for work.  You check the news and the markets via the internet.  You make a couple phone calls.  You tweak a spreadsheet with some ideas you had while falling asleep last night.  Maybe you get the evening meal marinating so it's ready for the grill that evening and check the wine supply.  Hey, how about a little lunch?  Then, maybe then, shower, clothes and propriety.

On a really good day, you're startled hearing the garage door opener running, realize it's past 4:00 PM, and jump up to get dressed and look civilized before DW walks in from the garage.

ER.  You can't beat it.

I sunbathe nude in the backyard every day that it is warm enough. I've been skinny dipping in at least 8 states and two provinces. I have been to a nearby nudist camp, and have also gone to a dance for nudists. That last one was kind of funny.

The only problem I can see is sunburn.

Ha

I have no issue with nudity at home at all. There is nothing unnatural about being nude. I've slept nude for almost forever, see no reason why I shouldn't get up, wander around the house, have a coffee, read the paper, etc in the nude. Did not do it while the kids were growing up and at home because DW wasn't at all comfortable with it...and I wasn't all that certain it would be good or bad...so didn't push it.

I haven't been to a nude beach and gone nude there, but neither do I have the body for it (at least for the last 30 years :eek: :eek:).

vagabond said:
I was having a conversation with my rather conservative and younger brother who was criticizing some of my personal habits and somehow the subject of nudity came up. I remarked that when the warm weather starts, (I have never had A/C) I felt more comfortable being in the nude when I was in my apartment . Although, I have never been to a nudist colony, I believe I would have no problem being nude in public, if our society would allowed it.

He thought I was abnormal and nuts.

Vagabond: You're single and if you don't want to wear clothes in your apt. , so what. (Don't think it makes you abnormal or nuts).

However, living in NYC without a/c is NUTS! :D

AltaRed said:
I haven't been to a nude beach and gone nude there, but neither do I have the body for it (at least for the last 30 years :eek: :eek:).

This doesn't seem to bother some guys at the gym! When I had a gym membership, I remember there would always be 3 or 4 old guys walking around naked, their...ah..."boys" knocking of the inside of their kneecaps saying, "you can't get good fish anymore! You seen the new Buick?". :p

....and they'd still be at it when I'm done working out and head back to the locker room!

DW and I used to walk around naked more, she loves it. Since Tori has gotten a little older we've become more discreet.

vagabond said:
Although, I have never been to a nudist colony, I believe I would have no problem being nude in public, if our society would allowed it.

again, i refer you to florida. as i've mentioned, the rules are different here.

http://tinyurl.com/g95cf
Three of Pasco County's six nudist resorts are taking off the gloves and everything else as they attempt to attract more of the worldwide clothing-optional market, which has tripled in size since 1992.

"Pasco is becoming the Mecca of North American nudism," said Richard Mason, an activist who helped open a stretch of Miami-Dade County's Haulover Beach to nudists in 1991. "A lot of people think nudists live in a colony like hippies. Then you see a place like Caliente. It's like a country club."

though i'm not officially a nudist, my first time at a nudist party was when i was about 23. i had moved to key west to become a famous writer. i was living with an old key west dog, an even older key west cat and a good friend in the home of a wonderful lesbian couple, one who played bridge all week and the other who did something for the navy, we never did find out what.

on one of the many nights i went off wondering by myself, i wound up at a nudist pool party on someone's estate. the people were all very interesting and i found after i was there for a while, being the only person wearing clothing, i felt like i was the only one who was nude. so i took off my clothes and once i did i was completely comfortable.

i don't think nudism has anything to do with intimacy or sex. though those things combined can be, well, pretty fabulous. nudism is simply the lack of hiding your skin. intimacy deals with sharing what is under that skin of yours. and as everyone knows, the sexiest thing about a nude is the face.

Dh can walk around all day nude, shades up in the house, use to say he wanted to give the ole lady next door a thrill (she passesd a few years ago) LOL. I don't mind it in the confines of our home, we sleep in the nude and if the shades are drawn I'll walk around that way. I was never comfortable in the gym locker rooms though.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Eh, I used to wander around nude for periods of time without thinking much of it.  You might find its different when you have kids, especially small ones.

Gabe thinks its the funniest thing to run up, grab "it" and try to run off. :p

"My daddy's 200 lbs. of dynamite, but what's the story on the short fuse?" ;)

DH an I have no problems running around the house in the buff. No one else home but us and besides we've seen everything. Ahhh the middle aged form in all it's glory. Dispite what time and gravity does to a body there is nothing better on a hot day then to air dry after a nice long shower. DH an I pass each other with a wave, I won't get into whats waving, and a hearty Whoo Woo.

I have no problem with nudity, none at all. But, if you saw me, you might! :D

BTW: I've seen many guys at the gym walk around nude. Some have long conversations, some shave, brush their teeth, etc, all the while nude. Guess they're proud of their equipment. Question: Do the women do that in the locker room next door? I asked DW, and she said she had not seen it.

Eagle,

I'm with you. I have no problem with being nude, but everyone else around me might have! I don't have to look at me.

setab

I have always slept in the nude. However, DW likes the house a lot colder in the summer than I can stand unless I am fully dressed. I also lost a testicle to cancer 23 years ago so I prefer not to strut around naked in the locker room.

Grumpy

Eagle43 said:
Question:  Do the women do that in the locker room next door?  I asked DW, and she said she had not seen it.

From what I've seen, it varies. There's always a few. They are usually the younger ones. I've noticed that gyms that have steam rooms / saunas attached to the locker rooms tend to have more nudists.

I have no problem with it, but I don't enjoy wandering around nude. I'm always cold.

Jarhead* said:
"My daddy's 200 lbs. of dynamite, but what's the story on the short fuse?" ;)

232 as of the last measure...and if you'll note I said "grabs it and runs with it"...sounds like maybe not so short ;)

Doesnt mean its not bright red and dripping nitroglycerine though... :LOL:

I enjoy not wearing clothes around the house but enjoy sunlight more (open blinds and curtains)- so I usually limit myself to areas out of view of the neighbors.

I've never had a big interest in nude beaches, or other activities, just not interested in having that much humanity all around me.

As for the locker room, my experience is that some women walk around naked if they are on the way from the shower to the locker, but don't just "prance around" for the sake of it. Most are pretty modest. At least at the health clubs I've frequented.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Doesnt mean its not bright red and dripping nitroglycerine though... :LOL:

Like the elephant said upon seeing the naked man, "It's cute, but can you really breathe through that thing?"

Eagle43 said:
Question: Do the women do that in the locker room next door? I asked DW, and she said she had not seen it.

I've asked this question of DW as part of my "locker room fantasy" moment and she said that the only women that did that were older women. None of the young hot women walked around naked. :(

I should have also clarified that in my apartment, I would either have the shades drawn or ligths out in the evening. Although my body is in decent shape, my intent wasn't to give a free show. Besides there were no available women within visual contact I could show myself off to. When I used to go to the local gym, I was in the nude when in the dry and steam saunas and in the locker room, I would remain in the buff, until I was fully dry.
In my 20's I did spend a week on the island of Mikinos at their nude beach. 1st 2 days were very hard ;) to walk around. But by the 3rd day, I was on line with everyone else for the only open public shower there. By then, the mind was in charge of the cockpit. >:D :angel:

WanderALot said:
I've asked this question of DW as part of my "locker room fantasy" moment and she said that the only women that did that were older women. None of the young hot women walked around naked. :(

There were some deliciously beaufiful woman at my gym and I was always tempted to act blind and innocently wonder into the wrong locker room. They couldn't blame a poor blind man, could they?

Jarhead* said:
Vagabond: You're single and if you don't want to wear clothes in your apt. , so what. (Don't think it makes you abnormal or nuts).
However, living in NYC without a/c is NUTS! :D

I put on my little GE 60+ yo fan on low and I am as comfy as I want to be. :)
Don't know if i'll feel the same way in Tucson.

vagabond said:
I put on my little GE 60+ yo fan on low and I am as comfy as I want to be. :)
Don't know if i'll feel the same way in Tucson.

As a former Tucsonan, I can tell you that if there is any air movement and you are wet (like from the pool) you will be cool. For 15 seconds until you become dry. Then you'll be hot. Very hot. Then you'll turn on the AC.

Lots of outdoor restaurants have misters for that reason. Fairly effective if the wind isn't too strong (it blows the mist off target).

Back
Top Bottom