Backing up your computer through a cloud service?

Like some others here, we don't use the cloud. I had all our pics on OneDrive, but I took them back off after about six months, access was too slow.

Conceptually the cloud is ideal, but it's still just a remote hard drive that can be hacked despite security claims. All indications are hacking and phishing (another easy way in) will get worse before it gets better IMO, and hackers are being discovered long after they hack in if at all. Who believes all hackers have been caught? No matter how cautious you are, another cloud user might be manipulated into giving access, exposing your data. Many of the services mentioned above have been hacked to some extent. Why would I pay for such a service?

So I just use File History to backup to a WD external HD. I am sure there are more robust plans, but it's been more than adequate for us.

If the cloud ever becomes truly secure, I'll probably gladly backup there. Again, it's an outstanding concept.

Last edited:
+1, these backup services seem to me to be a treasure throve for those super hackers
There's no reason to believe that the risk a typical cloud backup user faces is any greater than the risk a typical home on premises backup user faces. There is a lot of "fear, uncertainty, and doubt" thrown around with regard to this issue, but when you go looking for the data to back up claims about the risk, the claims don't hold water.

Reflexively, the more your home backup setup resembles that of cloud backup services, the most likely it is that you'll face less risk than the cloud backup services: Do you lock your computer in a separate room with higher security than a typical home is secured, or lock the computer in a cage cemented into the foundation? How strong is your firewall?

What about passwords for online services? Are they all 32 characters with numbers and symbols? You could be securing the backups, but what good is that if you're leaving the source data too easily obtainable? The risk people incur from doing business online makes the risk of using a cloud backup service look like noise.

Then there are the interim data risks: Do you run a nightly backup and take the backup media to a remote location daily? If you only do it weekly or monthly you have a lot more risk to data recently updated or generated as compared to instant backup to the cloud. The reality is that most home users don't make computer backup a part of their daily life. It is a chore that they fit in when they can and care to, and that's simply not enough consistency to make it less risky than cloud backup.

Last edited:
Mozy and Carbonite are both good and I use one. As others have mentioned, they automatically accomplish the two critical parts of data backup: 1) Automating the process of copying data and 2) getting it offsite.

You can choose to let them store your encryption key (the default) or, if you are concerned about hackers or their employees stealing data, you can choose to manage your own key. If you choose the latter and lose your key, your data in the cloud becomes inaccessible. So you have to make sure you keep an offsite backup (backups, more likely) of your key.

From all of the huge storage needs many folks are reporting, I feel like I must be missing something important that I need to backup. For backup of all files/photos that I care to keep, I use thumb drives and have yet to exceed an 8GB stick. I do keep copies of everything on both computers (MacBook Air and Mac Mini).

From all of the huge storage needs many folks are reporting, I feel like I must be missing something important that I need to backup. For backup of all files/photos that I care to keep, I use thumb drives and have yet to exceed an 8GB stick. I do keep copies of everything on both computers (MacBook Air and Mac Mini).

Me too..We have a lot of old photos in albums that no one ever sees (or cares to..maybe someday?). All the digital files we have and are earmarked as important are stored on a USB connected remote hard drive and I think there are a few Gigs on that drive, tops.

I guess a lot of people who have massive amounts of photos in storage have a photography business or some other reason to have 10's of thousands of photos. :confused:

Although I do have tons of media files, sadly I find it easier to save everything than to sort through and discard stuff I don't need.

I have a weekly backup plan that I actually execute. Plan ... execute.

I do have some minor concerns about unlikely events (1) burglary, (2) fire.

Most of my key Excel files are strong password protected. I can identify the key data folders that are under 2GB so that I can use a free service like Spideroak. I'm thinking of doing this. Anyone used Spideroak or another good, free cloud storage service?

Link to Spideroak: https://spideroak.com/features/

Last edited:
What about keeping a backup drive in a fireproof safe? Does those get too hot to protect the drive? I'm lazy enough about getting the drive out of my safe to do regular backups. If I keep one in a safe deposit box I'm afraid I'd rarely get around to swapping them.

Just got a new PC with Win 8.1 and wonder how best to back up my computer? Still trying to get used to the 8.1 interface.

Win 8.1 comes with One Drive (don't remember the capacity), does anybody use One Drive to back up their computer? How about other cloud services and costs?

My wife uses iCloud to back up her iphone and ipad and it is costing her $1/month.
My new PC arrived this week. Haven't had a chance to boot it up, but I will probably use the Windows 7 option for now. Personally, I wouldn't use any of the services, but understand why many do. Once you get the options straight, your backups go off according to plan. For most people this solution is fine. What happens is that over time you accumulate more than can fit into the free option, and will have to pay for more space.

What I consider is the number of ways the data can be lost. In my office it can be corrupted, destroyed, or stolen.

In a small business office the number of hands that can get at your data increases to a concerning level.

When you upload your data to an unseen data center, the number of attack vectors is huge.

I'm not familiar with the details of cloud backup companies, but what level of protection do they offer? For instance, if your data leaks out, do they insure for the damages?

Guessing the answer might be "It depends" I read the specs on my Sentry safe and it says
ETL Verified 1/2-hour fire protection for CDs, DVDs, USB drives and memory sticks up to 1550°F

It's also got a waterproof seal to protect against water damage.

What about keeping a backup drive in a fireproof safe? Does those get too hot to protect the drive? I'm lazy enough about getting the drive out of my safe to do regular backups. If I keep one in a safe deposit box I'm afraid I'd rarely get around to swapping them.
Depends on the safe, they're not all the same. The ratings are based on max temp and a stated duration, here's some general info from UL with more detail in link, and you can Google for still more.

When I was researching before buying our safe, while safe can save your valuable and documents, there's no safe that will guarantee their safety in all fires/durations.

UL Fire and Impact Ratings : SafetyFile - FireProof Safe, Fireking Files, FireKing Safes, Data Safes, Media Safes, Fire Resistant Lateral and Vertical files, Fire King Storage Cabinets, Insulated Files, Securall Flammable Storage Cabinets, Burglary R
Underwriters Laboratories uses three different listings* to evaluate records protection equipment:
1. Class 350-rated files and safes protect paper products
2. Class 150-rated files and media safes protect magnetic tapes and photographic film
3. Class 125-rated files and data safes protect flexible computer disks

There's no reason to believe that the risk a typical cloud backup user faces is any greater than the risk a typical home on premises backup user faces. There is a lot of "fear, uncertainty, and doubt" thrown around with regard to this issue, but when you go looking for the data to back up claims about the risk, the claims don't hold water.

I am much more concerned about my personal data being compromised on some other entities data repository than on my own home system and backup approach , and your comments still do not convince me otherwise.

I am much more concerned about my personal data being compromised on some other entities data repository than on my own home system and backup approach , and your comments still do not convince me otherwise.

+1 Maybe someday, but anytime soon.

That's what I do, my safe is fire rated for 1 hour for electronics. On the Sentry web site you can select what items you want protected, along with the level of protection, and they will list the safes that meet those requirements.

That's what I do, my safe is fire rated for 1 hour for electronics. On the Sentry web site you can select what items you want protected, along with the level of protection, and they will list the safes that meet those requirements.

Similar here. I have two external HD's for my full backups and I use USB's for incrementals. All of them go into a fireproof safe.

I use Time Machine on my Mac to backup to an external drive - it has rescued me from "oh crap" multiple times. I also use CrashPlan to backup to DH's external drive. Once a month he swaps his drive with the one in the safe deposit box. I rarely do anything on my computer that would be irreplaceable less than a month later, so I view this as acceptable risk.

Side benefit is that for the first time ever I feel like we're getting our money's worth from the safe deposit box! ;)

Regarding compromised data -- my biggest concern is my laptop, computer, backup disks being stolen as opposed to a breach (either my network or a cloud network). To mitigate this risk I use whole disk encryption (filevault) on any disk that might store financial or other personal data.

If I were uploading to dropbox, crash plan, etc. I would hesitate to upload something like my tax filings without encrypting them.

Last edited:
We've got about 300 GB total. Much of it is media: Photos and videos we've taken on family vacations. Also: My spouse loves music and so there are many full-bitrate MP3s. My design work also creates some incredibly large files for seemingly little data.

Different people weigh the same facts differently. Many folks who choose to use cloud services do so after careful consideration of all the information. Claims that cloud services are inherently a more risky choice than the choice you've made are without merit. There are good arguments both ways, especially for folks willing to consistently do all the extra work I've outlined earlier.

If I were uploading to dropbox, crash plan, etc. I would hesitate to upload something like my tax filings without encrypting them.

That is an excellent point!

All of my files are in Dropbox which has worked well for me for years. I don't have any files locally on my computer. I think Dropbox is $10/month for one TB of space.

I also like that I can sign into Dropbox from my phone or iPad and access my files if I need to.

It looks like crash plan has a custom key that only the user knows which would eliminate much of my concern.

Archive Encryption Key Security - Code42

I still have too much data for it to be feasible although I could use it on a subset (e.g. everything but media). There's a family plan at $9/month which I think is competitive with buying hard drives and doing it yourself (considering the extra hassle).

Carbonite. I bought three years for about $45 a year after the multi-year discount and the free months for using Leo Laporte's discount code. It is worth every penny in the piece of mind.

I am not a photographer, but my travel photos add up to 53GB. And many of these were taken more than 10 years ago, when digital cameras did not have their present resolution. Even now, I only have point-and-shoot pocket cameras.

And then, I just finished loading up my CDs and cassette collection. That's more than 150GB, even though I use a high but not outrageous bit rate of 320 Kbps.

My software repository is also 150GB, stuff I used back when I was still working and subscribed to MSDN.

And then, there are home videos, which I have not really started to digitize in earnest.

The other day, I was so tempted to go get another 1TB drive, which a local electronics store was selling for $38. I have to keep reminding myself that I have used less than 1/10 of the 12+TB I currently have.

Back
Top Bottom