Baker City Oregon

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It looks like I may have a day to explore the area around Baker City OR.

Any ideas of what may be worth part of the day or the entire day in that area would be appreciated.

Downtown historic area, Geiser Grand Hotel, National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive center.
Anthony Lakes would be almost a full day/drive/hike

The Baker Heritage Museum was interesting. Barley Brown's tasting room is the best attraction in town though IMO.

The Wallowa Lake area is beautiful. It's a short drive north of Baker City. I've done horseback rides there, and the tramway up Mount Howard is pretty enjoyable and has really nice views.

Last edited:
Sumpter is kind of cool.
If you have an extra day, Joseph has become a cool artsy town known for foundary arts.

All of the previous posts are solid.

Enterprise and Joseph are interesting small towns.

I guess it really depends on what you want to do/see.

The only addition that I would have is to visit the John Day Fossil Beds and the painted hills.

I hope that you have a great day whatever you do!

If you like trains, head to Weatherby and the UPRR mainline. Many freights per day, with helpers.

One day we drove from Baker City to Joseph which is an absolutely beautiful location with a neat moraine lake (Wallowa Lake) and state park, plus very nice town. We made a very long loop, hoping to look down into Hell’s Canyon, but unfortunately it was full of smoke! The return trip from Joseph wasn’t nearly as long, but a super neat scenic drive as you go through some gorges and around mountains.

Another time we really enjoyed the nearby pioneer/covered wagon museum and that was really good. That’s the Oregon Trail Center.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom