Beginner's DSLR Equipment?

joeea

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I live in a beautiful locale and see lots of folks taking pictures with nice cameras. I've been looking for a new hobby, and amateur photography seems like it would fit me.

I'd like to purchase a nice DSLR setup, some editing software, and then take a few classes. Unfortunately, I don't know an f-stop from ISO, .

Can anyone with some amateur experience suggest:
- what set of equipment makes sense? (camera, lenses, tripod? flash? filters?)
- how to choose among the myriad features?
- a good website?
- a good book or two?
- online classes? (I'm pretty sure I could get a beginner class at a local High School or Community college, too)
- other suggestions

I'd prefer not to spend more than $500 or so until I know for sure that I'd enjoy it. (I'm still trying to learn not to feel guilty spending money on myself in retirement). I want to do more than just snapshots, but I don't expect to be selling any photos.

IMO a DSLR is too much camera for a beginner. First I'd buy a used digital camera, maybe a 10 year old model for about $50 via Amazon or Ebay, to see if I enjoy the hobby then step up to better equipment. This site has reviews of hundreds of cameras http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Have owned some SLRs in the past (you know, 35mm film), not a DSLR though. Must admit my photo skills are not good. Have a friend who is sort of a photo buff. When I mentioned, maybe I should look into a DSLR (only mentioned, not serious at that point) she said don't got DSLR, gor mirrorless. Mirrorless? Haven't heard of that before, but IF I was to go camera shopping, I'd probably go that route.

Here's an article with a comparison of those two types:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/dslr-vs-mirrorless-cameras,news-17736.html

Bottom Line

Mirrorless cameras have the advantage of usually being lighter, more compact, faster and better for video; but that comes at the cost of access to fewer lenses and accessories. DSLRs advantages include a wider selection of lenses and better optical viewfinders.
For beginners, mirrorless cameras are often a better choice due to their more compact size and simpler controls. Mirrorless cameras are also more likely to have a touchscreens than a similarly priced DSLR as well. However, as you move up in price, the size difference between mirrorless cameras and DSLRs isn't as extreme, although mirrorless cameras still have a small lead. That said, unless there's a big need for 4K video, a serious or pro shooter who wants access to a wider range of lenses and other gear would be better off with a DSLR.

I bought a used Canon Powershot SX20 on eBay and I am very happy with it. It has a 20 to 1 zoom, so you do not need any extra lenses.
You can set the camera on Auto and let it decide the shutter speed and f stop, or you can experiment around with other settings.
Below are 2 photos- one with regular and one with the telephoto cranked out.

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 19
For $500 to spend, you might consider the entry model Canon Rebel T6 with a kit lens. Canon is offering a refurb through October 31 for $329. https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6-ef-s-18-55mm-f-35-56-is-ii-kit-refurbished

Here's a review: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-rebel-t6-1300d-review

You'll have money left for for various accessories like a tripod, bag, spare battery, sdhc cards, etc. I would just go with builtin flash for now. When you figure out if it's the hobby for you, you might want to invest in another lens e.g. telephoto or faster but similar zoom to kit lens.

I live in a beautiful locale and see lots of folks taking pictures with nice cameras. I've been looking for a new hobby, and amateur photography seems like it would fit me.

I'd like to purchase a nice DSLR setup, some editing software, and then take a few classes. Unfortunately, I don't know an f-stop from ISO, .

Can anyone with some amateur experience suggest:
- what set of equipment makes sense? (camera, lenses, tripod? flash? filters?)
- how to choose among the myriad features?
- a good website?
- a good book or two?
- online classes? (I'm pretty sure I could get a beginner class at a local High School or Community college, too)
- other suggestions

I'd prefer not to spend more than $500 or so until I know for sure that I'd enjoy it. (I'm still trying to learn not to feel guilty spending money on myself in retirement). I want to do more than just snapshots, but I don't expect to be selling any photos.

1. I recommend a Nikon 3400 or similar for a good starting DSLR. With the 18-55 kit lens. Great for taking landscape photos. Has all the features you need, https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3400-...F8&qid=1508799351&sr=1-7&keywords=nikon+d3400

$500 will get this camera and lens. Also get a uv lens filter - protects the lens - about $15. Tripod, flash, etc can wait. I believe a Nikon download software comes with, but you will eventually need Adobe Lightroom or something similar to manage your photos.

There are some online classes, books, etc that are ok, but I recommend taking a class at a local college, high school, etc - where you can ask questions/ interact. I took 2 entry level jr college courses and they were far more helpful than the books and online classes I bought.

Then go out and practice, practice, practice. Enjoy your new hobby!

For $500 to spend, you might consider the entry model Canon Rebel T6 with a kit lens. Canon is offering a refurb through October 31 for $329. https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6-ef-s-18-55mm-f-35-56-is-ii-kit-refurbished

Here's a review: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-rebel-t6-1300d-review

You'll have money left for for various accessories like a tripod, bag, spare battery, sdhc cards, etc. I would just go with builtin flash for now. When you figure out if it's the hobby for you, you might want to invest in another lens e.g. telephoto or faster but similar zoom to kit lens.

Thanks!

What does "kit lens" mean?

I bought a used Canon Powershot SX20 on eBay and I am very happy with it. It has a 20 to 1 zoom, so you do not need any extra lenses.
You can set the camera on Auto and let it decide the shutter speed and f stop, or you can experiment around with other settings.
Below are 2 photos- one with regular and one with the telephoto cranked out.
I have one of these, too, and it is very versatile. I previously had a 35mm SLR camera with a bunch of lenses and the SLR was definitely a superior camera, especially in low light situations. But for me, the camera easiest to carry and use, gets used the most. My go-to camera is a Canon pocket digital with a 4X zoom.

You may find this site useful. I've learned a lot from him.

KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures

Just a heads up that Ken Rockwell doesn't have a great reputation in the photography community. He's got a lot of experience and some of his info is handy. But his information is inconsistent (he justifies it by saying he's allowed to change his mind) and some of his info is bad.
One of his main motivations it seems is to just push content out to drive traffic to his site and generate revenue which isn't necessarily wrong, unless the info you are post is suspect.

One personal example was that I was looking for information about a lens I was interested in buying. A few reviews I read weren't positive on the lens and gave specific reasons why. Ken Rockwell's reviewed it as being a good lens which convinced me to buy it. As I used it, I encountering all the negatives outlined in the other reviews.

Last edited:
1. I recommend a Nikon 3400 or similar for a good starting DSLR. With the 18-55 kit lens. Great for taking landscape photos. Has all the features you need, https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3400-...F8&qid=1508799351&sr=1-7&keywords=nikon+d3400

$500 will get this camera and lens. Also get a uv lens filter - protects the lens - about $15. Tripod, flash, etc can wait. I believe a Nikon download software comes with, but you will eventually need Adobe Lightroom or something similar to manage your photos.

There are some online classes, books, etc that are ok, but I recommend taking a class at a local college, high school, etc - where you can ask questions/ interact. I took 2 entry level jr college courses and they were far more helpful than the books and online classes I bought.

Then go out and practice, practice, practice. Enjoy your new hobby!

Thanks!

Thanks!

What does "kit lens" mean?

A kit lens is generally a cheaper but versatile (wide angle with a bit of zoom) lens that comes packaged with the body to get you going once you buy "the camera" instead of having to buy a lens separately, if you already have some lenses or are interested in a better starter lens.

I'm just a hobbyist myself.
I use dpreview.com for hardware reviews.
Photo.net used to have some really good content for beginners. You can still pull up the info if you use Wayback Machine which takes snapshots of websites and archives them. Go back to 2006 snapshots.

I've had a digital snapshot camera for more than 10 years.
And an iPhone for more than 4 years.

Time for a DSLR.

Then you're not quite a photography beginner. A phone won't, but a middle-of-the-road digital camera will let you tweak fstops and ISO settings so you can learn. If you have no exposure to those, no pun intended, you've been using very basic photo equipment so far. Jumping from that to a DSLR will be like trading in a moped for a 'vette, well, maybe not quite but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Costco.com is selling the Nikon 3400 with 2 lenses, the 18-55 and the 70-300, and a decent camera case for $599. A good deal IMO!

Then you're not quite a photography beginner. A phone won't, but a middle-of-the-road digital camera will let you tweak fstops and ISO settings so you can learn. If you have no exposure to those, no pun intended, you've been using very basic photo equipment so far. Jumping from that to a DSLR will be like trading in a moped for a 'vette, well, maybe not quite but you get the idea.

To learn how to drive a 'vette, you have to get in a 'vette. You may have to start out slow, but you'll get better in time.

Costco.com is selling the Nikon 3400 with 2 lenses, the 18-55 and the 70-300, and a decent camera case for $599. A good deal IMO!

This or any other camera in this price range will get you what you need to get started. I concur with the recommendation to take a course or two. You may even want to connect with the instructor prior to the class and see if there is recommended equipment. Today's equipment is so good that you'll likely not need to move up too quickly unless you really get serious. Something in the price range you're looking at is fine.

I don't disagree with the kit lens, but the set mentioned from Costco will give you two lenses that will help you better understand the differences and make you a better purchaser in the future.

Main thing, at the price you're looking at, you'll be fine and you can't hardly go wrong. Get a name brand like Nikon or Cannon and have fun.

Costco.com is selling the Nikon 3400 with 2 lenses, the 18-55 and the 70-300, and a decent camera case for $599.

The 3400 is a good place to start. Canon has similar bodies in the Rebel line. I would not suggest that you get 2 lenses for now. Changing lenses can cost time in a pinch, and could allow dirt to get into the camera. I would suggest a longer zoom like an 18-105 or 18-140. Use a UV filter to protect the lens glass. Make sure to get a good guide book to the camera like one from David Busch. The camera manual tells you what the functions are but when or how to use them. Shoot in RAW, and get a digital editor like Photoshop Elements, and a guide book for that too. Later you can add a tripod, various filters, etc. Try website UglyHedgehog for a discussion forum similar to this.

Once you decide and buy a camera setup take the time to learn manual, aperture, and shutter priority settings. You will learn much more and have the control over your camera to take great shots. Then it all becomes composure, seeing the picture in your mind before you take the shot.
IOW don't get caught up with how many pics/second, auto presets, etc.

Once you decide and buy a camera setup take the time to learn manual, aperture, and shutter priority settings. You will learn much more and have the control over your camera to take great shots. Then it all becomes composure, seeing the picture in your mind before you take the shot.
IOW don't get caught up with how many pics/second, auto presets, etc.

I read somewhere that a beginning photographer should practice with a prime lens(or at least don't adjust the zoom) in manual, manual focus, in order to get the feel of composition and dslr photography.

My intro to photography instructor stressed manual as well. It forces you to think about what you're doing rather than just clicking the shutter.

The appeal of mirrorless is size and weight savings but they're often not cheaper than DSLRs, especially at the low end.

You can find good deals on an older model if some places are clearing out their inventory though.

The other part of DSLRs is to take RAWs and post-process them. That's often more time-consuming than taking pictures.

A Lightroom subscription is $120 a year. May want to start with something like Photoshop Elements, which I think is half that for one-time purchase. Or if you have Mac, Photos comes with Macy's these days.

Then you can get into circular polarizers and neutral density filters.

I don't know, I've never taken a class. I had an SLR film camera in the '80s and they already had auto exposure modes, which I still mostly use.

When I take long-exposure photos or photos for panoramas, then I switch to manual but I'm still using the camera meter to slightly under and over expose, to see which results I like later, or to make HDR out of them.

I watch a few videos online. Actually there's a lot of them for Lightroom.

You don't have to pay for film so you can do a lot of trial and error, using settings like bracketing or exposure compensation in conjunction with aperture-priority (where you set the f-stop and the camera sets the shutter speed), which even a lot of pros use for landscape photography.

I really liked the classes. We had a weekly project on portrait photography. Most of the students brought in photos of their babies and young children. I brought in a photo of my senior citizen wife. The instructor had a nice way to constructively criticize photos. He told me "You want to use softer lighting on your older subjects"

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Another option is a bridge camera. This is a DLSR with a fixed lens. That means you can't interchange the lens. That can be OK if the operating software (i.e., zoom, available ISO, and modes). I am using a Canon Coolpix 530 that offers many modes (automatic, aperture setting, manual setting, etc., along with video). It has a viewfinder and an LCD, and macro, and exposure control for low light situations. The downside is that it does not shoot in RAW, which I don't find is an issue. I can set the camera to compensate.

I like bridge cameras as they a bit lighter than fully equipped DSLRs. The zoom is accomplished with a moving toggle switch. This lets you view and zoom with one hand. (Very handy when volunteering at an animal shelter - you need the other hand for getting the dog's attention). With some skill you can get equivalently good shots as with the 3400 or any other fully equipped DLSR.

To get the best benefit of any camera, a class at a local community college is very helpful. You will learn how to use the settings on the camera to get the best photos.

I also use Adobe Photoshop Elements. While not as full featured as Lightroom, it serves my needs for cropping and occasionally adjusting exposure.

- Rita

I had a 35mm SLR for about 20 years and loved it, but haven't had anything but a little point-and-shoot and/or my iPhone for about 10 years. Recently went out and bought a Sony A6000 mirrorless and I'm loving it. I picked mirrorless instead of DSLR for the smaller size and lighter weight. So far I'm still using the kit lens but will probably be putting a prime lens on my Christmas list ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom