best homeowner and car insurer.

I will revisit this. We also have new FEMA Maps coming out that now show us in Zone X, the old maps were 20 years old and pre-date this entire subdivision. We'll keep the Flood Insurance, but it will certainly be cheaper.

Back in the Old Country (New Jersey) we were with NJ Manufacturers Insurance for over 30 years......they saved us literally $25K - $30K over the years.

Is Amica open to all individuals ?? How about USAA, open to all ??
There are tales of Geico's 6 month policies and the big jump on the first renewal....anybody experience that scenario from the Gecco ??

Amica: Yes, anyone can get coverage.

USAA: No. There are military affiliation requirements but they have been relaxed over the last several years. It is almost to the point that if you walked into a recruiter's office and watched a video at *some* point in your life, you would qualify. :D

Followed up with Amica and got a full homeowners and auto bundled pricing. Supposedly the bundle is worth 15%
Homeowners HO5 policy 677 State Farm (SF) 626
2 million Umbrella: 361 w/o Div: 289 net w/divd SF=254
Auto:
Found out that Amica will not write Umbrella unless auto is a 250k/500K liability. For that coverage 2 vehicle price was 1061/yr w/o Div; 1292 with dividend--est net 1033/yr SF: 877/yr but it is written with 100k/300k base liabliity.
Pretty clear Amica won't be our insurer.
To the point of a previous poster--status of your agent does make a difference. Our agent standing is such SF has him opening multiple offices-didn't even know they did that. I expect when he calls they pick up the phone.
My previous agent SF agent recntly retired (we were with her over 25 years) and she had similar "sway" ;-). It paid off when I had collision when a guy took a "California stop" on a light and hit me as I was turning. The underwriter wanted to make me liable but she simply rewrote us under another vehicle I had sold . No issues ;-) (can't say I understand SF rules but she knew them inside/out and knew exactly how to manage the situation.

I can't make much sense of your numbers, but that's OK...they are your numbers. As to the increased limits on the auto insurance for umbrella coverage, this is pretty universal across all insurers. I can't *think* of any insurer that will do an umbrella policy if you don't max out your liability coverage on your other policies. Although, Amica did discount the umbrella policy with the added coverages on home and auto.

Last point on this discussion: As someone mentioned, insurance is HIGHLY variable. There is no real way to make comparisons with other folks (except for customer service) since there are way too many factors. The key take away is to not be tied to an insurer "forever" because of just loyalty. If you do *anything* that they don't really agree with, they will drop you like a hot potato. So, it's wise to keep the same mentality for when you decide to stay on or change insurers.

Last point on this discussion: As someone mentioned, insurance is HIGHLY variable. There is no real way to make comparisons with other folks (except for customer service) since there are way too many factors. The key take away is to not be tied to an insurer "forever" because of just loyalty. If you do *anything* that they don't really agree with, they will drop you like a hot potato. So, it's wise to keep the same mentality for when you decide to stay on or change insurers.

We have a winner!

I was abused by incredible price raises by my former company, with absolutely no claims. I was simply shocked as I checked around. They must know that insurance tends to be "sticky" with a lot of inertia, so some companies will push you hard.

I was with Amica for years, but finally got sick of raising rates. I switched to another insurer for a couple of years and then my rates skyrocketed. Mostly because I had a teenage driver to insurance.

I ended up calling an insurance broker and was able to get a better rate. It's still expensive due to the teenage driver, but my loyalty to insurers has definitely decreased over the years.

I am big on convenience though. One of my requirements is to have one insurer for all of my policies (auto/home/umbrella). Maybe I'd break this at some point, but I'd prefer not to.

Amica: Yes, anyone can get coverage.

USAA: No. There are military affiliation requirements but they have been relaxed over the last several years. It is almost to the point that if you walked into a recruiter's office and watched a video at *some* point in your life, you would qualify. :D

I will say no to that on USAA.... I called last year and was turned down... and had a dad a sister in military (sis was one summer, but still shows up).... they said that I would qualify if my dad had used their insurance... since he was not an officer way back when he did not qualify...

They did send me to some other firm (I think Hartford, but am unsure)... but their rate, even with the 'USAA discount' was higher than what I have....

I can't make much sense of your numbers, but that's OK...they are your numbers. As to the increased limits on the auto insurance for umbrella coverage, this is pretty universal across all insurers. I can't *think* of any insurer that will do an umbrella policy if you don't max out your liability coverage on your other policies. Although, Amica did discount the umbrella policy with the added coverages on home and auto.

+1
I shared the numbers between State Farm and Amica & Hartford more in the sense to share that not to expect any great bargains out there in insurance land. I personally a bit surprised how much a premium AARP Hartford wanted given all their advertising around saving s-o, s-so much for everyone that comes to Hartford.
If you decide to get competitive quotes just be prepared to spend some time with the agents--the process is quite involved with a lot of details. Be prepared to provide drivers license and give permission for them to get info from "public sources" . The details their system have access is quite impressive and possibly disturbing.

An insurance agent will need drivers license numbers and social security numbers to be able to get you an accurate rate quote. The drivers license number to get a copy of your MVR (driving record) and the social security number to order a CLUE report - https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/fact_act_auto_claims/sample.jsp and insurance score - https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/lexisnexis_attract_auto_score/sample.jsp . The CLUE report will detail all insurance claims in the recent past (about five years), number of drivers in the household, ages of drivers, etc and the insurance score will be like a credit score but with factors the insurance companies feel help them select a better customer. The higher the score, the more they like you and the better the rate quote.

In the old days, an insurance underwriter would base their judgement on risk selection on the age of the drivers, cars insured, address of insured, liens, driving record, the agent submitting the business and also the form of payment. If the agent sent an agency check then that meant the agent trusted the customer, a personal check was okay also. A money order was a sign that the customer didn't have a bank account and was not financially responsible (a primitive form of credit scoring).

Nowadays, everything is black-box underwriting, with very little human input or discretion. The companies underwrite with many many more factors down to your zip code, auto rating symbol (factors in cost of repairs, cost new, engine size, etc.) driving record, insurance score and many other factors they deem relevant. The larger companies are way more sophisticated than the smaller regional companies and much less likely to have a conversation with their agent if they have a question about the application.

All the discussion about which company has the best rates are really pointless unless you live in the same zip code with a similar home, car, driving record, insurance score, etc. to the next person commenting. It really is that different these days.

FWIW, Amica doesn't require you to "max" your auto liability coverage in order to write an umbrella policy, but it does have a minimum required. When I bought my umbrella policy I was able to lower my auto liability coverage.

FWIW, Amica doesn't require you to "max" your auto liability coverage in order to write an umbrella policy, but it does have a minimum required. When I bought my umbrella policy I was able to lower my auto liability coverage.

Well, for me the "minimum" WAS the "maximum" :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom