Best Rewards Credit Card

rdwarejr

Confused about dryer sheets
Which rewards credit card do you all have? I have USAA's rewards card and was wondering your opinions on which one offers the best rewards. I pay off my balance in full so I am not worried about their rates.

I have a Schwab VISA. Straightforward 2% cash back, paid to my brokerage account automatically each month. Unfortunately I don't think they are still offering it.

Coach

I have a Schwab VISA. Straightforward 2% cash back, paid to my brokerage account automatically each month. Unfortunately I don't think they are still offering it.

Coach

I have something similar to this also. Also I have a Chase and a Discover that offer 5% on certain varying categories each quarter. I put a note in my billfold to remind me of which card to use for which purchase. So I use a 5% card if applicable, otherwise revert to the 2% card. I also have a debit from a local bank that gets me 1.5% on a savings account if I use it 12x/month. I thought it might be a hassle, but actually it is more of a low key sport to see how little I can spend and still get my 12 purchases. One bag pork rinds, $1.19. Another bag the next day, another $1.19. One McDouble and senior coffee, $2.10. Box of strawberries, $1.99. What a thrilling life I lead.:blush:

Ha

Coach

I got a letter yesterday from Schwab indicating they will end the relationship with Visa on Oct 1. I assume this perk is short lived.

I got a letter yesterday from Schwab indicating they will end the relationship with Visa on Oct 1. I assume this perk is short lived.

Same here. It was good while it lasted. Hopefully it'll last a bit longer.

I still have my PenFed card, which I might start using again, but I would like to get a card that doesn't charge any currency conversion fees for international travel. Any recommendations?

Also I have a Chase and a Discover that offer 5% on certain varying categories each quarter. I put a note in my billfold to remind me of which card to use for which purchase. So I use a 5% card if applicable, otherwise revert to the 2% card.

I do the same thing. I have a Chase card that offers 3% in "Subaru Bucks" (which I use for maintenance and repairs of my Subaru) and a Discover card where the 5% categories change each quarter. So I use the Discover card whereever I'll get 5%, and the Chase/Subaru for anything else.

I do the same thing. I have a Chase card that offers 3% in "Subaru Bucks" (which I use for maintenance and repairs of my Subaru) and a Discover card where the 5% categories change each quarter. So I use the Discover card whereever I'll get 5%, and the Chase/Subaru for anything else.

Wow. I hope you can give more information for me and the other Subaru owners on the board.

How do you redeem your Subaru Bucks? Are they only good at a dealer, or also at a independent mechanic, auto parts store, etc? And do you get Subaru Bucks on all purchases?

I have the USAA MC as well. Also the LL Bean card. I need to find out which pays the most cash back.

Fidelity 2% cashback Amex - reward auto-deposited into fidelity account once they hit $50. Not sure if they still offer it.

For gas, grocery, drugstore, I have a Chase card that says "Rewards" on the front and it is blue. 5% back on those categories. I have the sticky part of a sticky note affixed to my gas/grocery/drugstore CC to remind me what to use it for. I think I wrote the categories directly onto DW's CC to remind her. The chase card lets you request a check after $50 has accumulated. Doesn't take many months of gassing 2 cars to get to $50 cashback. No idea if they still offer this card.

Costco Amex pays 1% at Costco, 3% on gas and restaurants, then Fido Amex pays 2% on everything else. LL Bean Visa pays 1% and gets me free shipping and monogramming at Bean.

Must admit I have turned into a churner, taking my business to whoever is offering the best sign up bonus that will maximise our free premium travel plans.

Fidelity 2% cashback Amex - reward auto-deposited into fidelity account once they hit $50. Not sure if they still offer it.

For gas, grocery, drugstore, I have a Chase card that says "Rewards" on the front and it is blue. 5% back on those categories. I have the sticky part of a sticky note affixed to my gas/grocery/drugstore CC to remind me what to use it for. I think I wrote the categories directly onto DW's CC to remind her. The chase card lets you request a check after $50 has accumulated. Doesn't take many months of gassing 2 cars to get to $50 cashback. No idea if they still offer this card.

Have the Chase card... not offered anymore...

I don't see the Fido card offered as I would like to get 2% on everything else... I use Capital One which has 1% with an annual 25% bonus on the previous year which makes it a 1.25% card...

Do the Discover cards... but usually the 5% is on a low threshold.. such as the first $200... need to remember not to use it if you go over... I also like Discover because you can buy a gift card at a discount... if you use Staples, a $25 costs only $20... most are like $50 card for $45....

Found this link. Don't know if the info. is accurate - as in, current. I was/am interested since DW drives a Soob.

Review of the Chase Subaru Mastercard Credit Card

The Chase site requires you to login for details.

-CC

The info on the website is consistent with the terms I have. The 3% is on every purchase, and you accumulate the "Subaru bucks" until you reach $100. Then they issue you a $100 certificate. Certificates are good for 4 years, can only be used at a Subaru dealer (for service or towards purchase of parts, vehicle, etc.). Also, you do not get change back from the certificates, so it makes sense to wait to use them until you know you will exceed the $100. I was offered the card at the time I bought my car in '05, and have been happy with the program. I only switch out to using the Discover card for those 5% categories each quarter.

That sucks. There goes half my credit line, most likely. If I'm going to get crap rewards, I'd just as soon use my 1% USAA Amex or my CU Visa.

Penfed Visa Rewards
5% cashback monthly for any brand gasoline paid at the pump
2% cashback monthly for groceries
1% cashback monthly for everything else, except

3% cashback for back-to-school items (not exactly sure how they calculate this, but I think it's based on certain retailers and it's a seasonal promo)

Most of you use cash back cards and I agree for most people these return the best bang for your buck. However, as we value travel a lot ,especially business/first class travel , we find the AMEX platinum Air Canada card pretty good. We have booked 3 business class tickets each to the far east for next year on points. Value about $50-60k. Card costs about $750 This would represent maybe 18 months worth of spending. I figure payoff ratio about 12% of purchases. Works well for us.

Got the Schwab letter today, too. We have had their card for only a few months. :( I have to assume that "FIA Card Services" will eliminate the cash back and start charging foreign exchange fees. I predict we will be cutting them up shortly.

At least we still get something back on the REI Visa.

Received an email invitation from Fido today, applied throught the web, then called them for an instant decision. Approved for the card and should receive it within 10 days.

So, it is still available. For those that are interested, you can go to fidelity.com, to the left, under products and services, click more products and services. To the right of the page, you will see "2% unlimited cash back", click on that. They offer both Visa Signature (1.5% cash back then to 2% if you spend over $15,000/yr), and AMEX (2%).

I do not know why they make it so difficult to find. You can also apply over the phone and get an instant decision.

mP

Same here. It was good while it lasted. Hopefully it'll last a bit longer.

I still have my PenFed card, which I might start using again, but I would like to get a card that doesn't charge any currency conversion fees for international travel. Any recommendations?

Capital One does not charge currency conversion fees or other extra fees for overseas use. They also have a decent rewards system. Try to get a high credit limit when you first sign up, though -- they have been very stingy with requests for increased credit limits. We have asked for a credit limit increase 3 times and been denied each time, in spite of stellar credit. I guess it is pretty obvious we are not making them any money as we pay off the bill every month. It is annoying to have our credit limit on that card be stuck at $4000, as it means we cannot use it to buy international air tickets for the family. Amex and our Credit Union visa work as a backup, but have to be sure to book flights through US sites -- made a mistake of booking on Air CAnada's canadian site once using our credit union visa and got dinged quite heavily with the international use
fees.

lhamo

We got a CapitolOne because they didnt charge currency conversion. We use that one, Discover, and we have an old Shell Mastercard, that used to be a lot better than it is now. Have been planning on getting rid of that one. I am thinking the PenFed one sounds pretty good....

Back
Top Bottom