Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hosted the aforementioned "favorite HS GF" (post #909) in the 850 for 5 days last week. Definitely blew the dough-over $1,200:
Gulf view condo for her-$600
Waterfront dining (dinner and 2 lunches)-$550 (got a bottle of Dom at good price :))
Miscellaneous food and dining-$100

Well worth it, and my kids like her. DD said "third time's a charm!"

We're meeting in TX for NYE and that looks like another 2 grand, good way to end the year ;)

So the "favorite HS GF" is now just "DGF" :)

:smitten::smitten:

Market "dropped" about 6 figures from the portfolio the last two months.
Blow that dough!

I am down more than $500K from personal high-water mark.

Oh well, it's only money.

We're meeting in TX for NYE and that looks like another 2 grand, good way to end the year ;)

NYE might be an excellent time to present your new DGF with an itemized bill for her half of all courtship/companionship expenses incurred to date. I'm sure that she will be completely understanding after you calmly explain that in managing your personal finances your fiscal year is aligned with the calendar year and thus 12/31 is an excellent time to settle your accounts receivable.

P.S. There might be a reason why I have so much trouble finding a GF, but I'm not sure what it is. :D

Last edited:
Well, we just got back from a 15 day Hawaiian cruise in a minisuite. DW said, "Since we are not traveling as much, I would like to have a suite for our next cruise".
The problem is there are not that many on the ship, and some folks book them a year or more in advance. Our travel agent worked her magic, and found the LAST one on an Alaskan cruise.
We are talking north of 10K here:(
I figure, what am I going to do, leave it to my kids? So we went for it.
What she does not know, is I booked a Hawaiian cruise for 2020 in a suite also. I will tell her after our next cruise:LOL:
BTW, we are down about $150 K with the market from it high.

NYE might be an excellent time to present your new DGF with an itemized bill for her half of all courtship/companionship expenses incurred to date. I'm sure that she will be completely understanding after you calmly explain that in managing your personal finances your fiscal year is aligned with the calendar year and thus 12/31 is an excellent time to settle your accounts receivable.

P.S. There might be a reason why I have so much trouble finding a GF, but I'm not sure what it is. :D

That bill is going to the ex GF who asked for both the bottle of wine back AND requested I keep her on the club membership ;) :2funny:

Over $7,000 on that one over the last 2 years. A lot of great meals, laughs, and fantastic memories. No complaints :)

The request to keep her on the club membership is sticking in my craw though. Fits with everything else about her. She is a good lady otherwise, and we had a ton of fun together. Good with it until there's a permanent replacement.

DS just called. His car died on I70 somwhere in Indiana on his way from Virginia to Colorado. He is calling a tow truck. Something tells me I am going to be Blowing That Dough on this one! :)

We had that problem on the NY Throughway and the tow truck took us to a Volvo dealer. It was Sunday so they put us up in their guest room and served us breakfast. By the time we finished eating the car was ready. Great experience in Newburgh and reasonable charge so we left a hefty tip.

Two weeks ago we heard rumor that our developer was planning on building 4 small short term rentals on the lot next to ours. Long story short, we agreed to buy the lot to preserve our privacy and views. Not excited to be blowing dough in a down market but relieved that we will have our views and privacy for years to come. Then yesterday we heard a neighbor is buying the the lot on the other side of us to preserve privacy on that side of us. Score!

Just blew a few bucks on a couple of single malts and a Cognac. It’s the holidays.

DS just called. His car died on I70 somwhere in Indiana on his way from Virginia to Colorado. He is calling a tow truck. Something tells me I am going to be Blowing That Dough on this one! :)
He ran out of gas... :facepalm: $135 for the tow truck. About $20 for the taxi back and forth to the motel. I don't know what the shop charged him to tell him he was out of gas. :2funny::2funny::2funny: In his defense, he said the gas gauge showed he still had half a tank...

95 Geo Prism with over 250k miles. It could have cost a lot more. :)

Just blew a few bucks on a couple of single malts and a Cognac. It’s the holidays.

I did the same. The local grocery store had a sale for the holidays and I have to restock my liquor cabinet.

In his defense, he said the gas gauge showed he still had half a tank...

I know the feeling. I once had a Fiat whose gas gauge often got stuck at the ⅓ mark. After the first couple of times I learned (the hard way) to always write the odometer reading at each filling in a notepad I kept in the car.

Is it crystal glassware? If so, are you going to fill it with the appropriate liquid?

Is it crystal glassware? If so, are you going to fill it with the appropriate liquid?

There was still 2 oz left in the bottle at the restaurant so we didn't get the bottle. Thought about getting the last 2 oz and selling the bottle but didn't.

There was still 2 oz left in the bottle at the restaurant so we didn't get the bottle. Thought about getting the last 2 oz and selling the bottle but didn't.
I bought a special bottle of Glenmorangie for $300, which came in a Caithness (Scottish glass factory) decanter shaped like one of their stills.. After I finished the contents, I sold the empty decanter on eBay.

I bought a special bottle of Glenmorangie for $300, which came in a Caithness (Scottish glass factory) decanter shaped like one of their stills.. After I finished the contents, I sold the empty decanter on eBay.

That's a cool decanter. How was the scotch? Louis XIII was very, very smooth. Wish I had a good 45 minute cigar to go with it.

I am down more than $500K from personal high-water mark.

Oh well, it's only money.

Forgot about my post above, which was not even 1 week ago.

Another 6-figure loss since then. Darn!

Good thing I still have many XO bottles left, and I don't drink that much anymore either. Don't feel like spending any money now.

Went to NY Rangers hockey game with family, 5 of us. $1,300 for tickets, train fare, dinner and a few cold ones at the game.
Had a couple from Sweden on one side of us, a couple from the UK on the other side and a family from Italy behind us. Good times.

Went to NY Rangers hockey game with family, 5 of us. $1,300 for tickets, train fare, dinner and a few cold ones at the game.
Had a couple from Sweden on one side of us, a couple from the UK on the other side and a family from Italy behind us. Good times.

Money spent on an NHL game is money well spent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom