Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the 4 boats I've owned cost 3 grand.

I've spent more on slip rent than all the boats and all the gas and all the repairs combined.

I guess this counts as blow your dough -- I'm paying $4000 to have my astigmatism fixed/improved during cataract surgery in May.

The market keeps blowing away my dough. Do I need to help too?

Me too.

On a bad day of the market, I blew a lot more than that.

I am sure there are rich posters here who blew a few hundred $K every day the last few days.

If it keeps going like this, soon there will not be anything left to blow.

Yeah, darn it. I spent $7.99 plus tax at Wally world yesterday. I'll never get that back. I did get to see someone wearing pajamas to the store today though. There is that.

Or a horse.

Reminds me of my good friend and neighbour, whose daughter was into horses. They bought her a horse. Unfortunately the horse developed some rare disease and had to be euthanized. Then they bought her another horse.....

Working on the last major improvement to our kitchen, a hammered copper double sink. It has to be custom-made (or the counter replaced). Current estimate is US$1330 and we will shop around now.

Small potatoes, but I just paid $85 for a pair of jeans. My girlfriend kept searching the clearance rack and lower priced section in an attempt to save me some money :smitten: and was aghast that I would spend that much...but she did admit I looked good in them.

Those wagyu burgers last night were delicious. We sauteed some mushroom slices and I buttered and browned the buns over the coals after I lifted the meat. Added a slice of provolone on top the shrooms and still a little red in there, but you can do that with *good* meat.

Kelly (the birthday girl) loved it and pronounced it "the best she ever had"

I agreed, it was like eating beef lobster - :)

Yeah, blow some dough, have a truly memorable meal with someone you love!

Bought 3 kW worth of solar panels today. Don't know when I will get around to install them, but need to have some to do some testing.

Maybe this does not belong in this thread. It's not really for leisure. Or maybe it is. Guess I am a masochist for creating work for myself.

I bought a Peloton. $3k by the time you add up delivery, extras, extended warranty, and the monthly subscription.

And it'll be even better when my hip is healed enough to start riding! Lol

Bought 3 kW worth of solar panels today. Don't know when I will get around to install them, but need to have some to do some testing.

Maybe this does not belong in this thread. It's not really for leisure. Or maybe it is. Guess I am a masochist for creating work for myself.
I am assuming a battery purchase is in the future. Note that LiPo4 batteries now come in at about $1k per kwh.

Actually, I already bought plenty of LiFePO4 batteries.

Last October, I bought 17 kWh worth. See: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...-today-2017-version-84766-30.html#post1956012

Then, in January, I bought an additional 5.6 kWh to have a total of 22.5 kWh. See: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/what-did-you-do-today-2018-version-90060.html#post1989826.

I put that work aside to work on a smaller 3 kWh system for my RV. Progress has been slow, due to waiting for miscellaneous electronic and electrical parts from China.

I bought a Peloton. $3k by the time you add up delivery, extras, extended warranty, and the monthly subscription.

I could have sworn slavery had been outlawed.
In a road bicycle race, the peloton (from French, originally meaning 'platoon') is the main group or pack of riders.
-- Wikipedia

However, you did get a good price, I think. Do they have any other skills beside riding bicycles?

Went to a high end restaurant last night. Beautiful angus beef slab with mushrooms and roasted potatoes for 360 pesos and a glass of fine red Cabernet for 180 pesos but a good pour. (14.3/C$) All in for two 1100 pesos.

Massage chair for $4.6K all in. Can't wait until it's delivered :dance:.

Blow that dough will really kick in for us in 2019-20. Next year I have to start RMDs, plus DW's small pension begins. Then year after that, DW starts drawing SS. So our current budget goes up by $33K next year and the year after that almost $50K. Kind of reminds me when I was working and started to get some decent promotions. I have no idea how we are going spend at that level, other than paying more to gummit.

At the "money pit" we're having three windows, a bay window and our front door replaced. Might also have the front of the house re-done in vinyl board and batten.

Windows and door are going to be 5K. Bay window options aren't set yet but might be another 4K and the vinyl perhaps another 5K. Plus 13% HST on top.

Not a fortune by the standards of this thread but it's enough to make me feel faint and develop a cramp in my wallet....

Blow that dough - a small experimental effort.

I have some big-ticket travel on the horizon after I retire this summer, plus some repairs and bigger purchases. My FA thinks I will have trouble spending money after so many years of saving hard. So after I got my *last* financial duck in a row this weekend, and discovered I still had a surplus in my checking account I ordered myself to spend $300 on completely discretionary items this weekend. I'm not talking about a new smartphone (that I will eventually need to replace my 2013 model), but items that are purely wants, not needs. I've only managed to get to about $150, mostly gardening-related, but also a pair of llbean summer canvas shoes that I liked, but didn't need. I don't think I'll get it all spent this weekend, but it's a start.

Living in NE FLA. Purchased and installed a new sub Electric Panel in our home. Moved all essential Services to the Sub Panel. Purchased a Generator and Cable. All done ~$750..... So for the next Hurricane Power Outage, we are prepared. No More bad food in freezer... :)

Last edited:
I have no idea how we are going spend at that level, other than paying more to gummit.

Don't forget that there is no need to spend the RMDs, you just have to pay tax on them. The remainder can just be shifted to an after-tax account and put back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom