Bull's eye moon in a cloud ring

veremchuka

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
irradiated - too close to the nuclear furnace
Maybe this is not all that uncommon but I don't recall seeing this very often if ever.

Last night the moon was the bull's eye in a ring of clouds that circled it. The diameter of the ring was a good 24-30 times the width of the moon (radius was 12-15 times the diameter of the moon). The cloud ring was very well defined, about 2-3 moon widths and a perfect circle with the moon dead center. I can't say how long this lasted since I took out my dog at midnight and was anxious to go to bed so I was out there just 8-10 minutes but it never changed in that time. There was no wind.

What is this called and is it uncommon?

The title of this thread is very lyrical--someone should write a country music song with it.

My dad always told us that a ring around the moon meant nice weather, but a ring around the sun meant a storm.

I see both of these fairly often - guess it's more common in Canada.

I always heard that a haloed moon meant that rain was coming. The closer to the moon the halo appears, the sooner. I made observations of this when I was much younger (back in the midwest where the haloed moon is common) and seemed to confirm the rain theory. Naturally, YMMV.

A perhaps more interesting (and, in my experience more rare) phenomenon is "moon dogs" (same as sun dogs, but with the moon as the light source). See Moon dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is happening again right now. I was out at 8 pm and there was no ring. It is a little hazier tonight than last night and the ring is not as pronounced as last night.

I spend a lot of time outside at night on and off from dark to 2am or later due to my dog. I don't ever recall seeing this and I look at the moon and stars all the time. I'm out in the country away from all lights so it is very dark at night so there is almost no stray light to pollute the sky. If the moon was new you couldn't see your hand in front of your face except for star light.

Maybe it is more pronounced in December, I find it odd I never noticed this before. Maybe it is not all that common around here but here it is 2 nights in a row.

The title of this thread is very lyrical--someone should write a country music song with it.

C'mon sing along wif me....:greetings10:

After drinkin’ ten beers I stumbled in the night

Tryin’ to git mah head straight and see the light

Little did I know, I’d understand

By lookin' in the sky I saw yer plan

There was the moon, shinin’ big and bright

With a circle around it, I could see the light

Didn’t see it comin’, I was blind you see

You and I darlin’ weren’t meant to be

Bull’s eye moon in a cloud ring

You took my heart, you did yer thing

Put it in place, you’d be shor to hit

Shot it in shatters, didn’t leave a bit

Last edited:
It is happening again right now. I was out at 8 pm and there was no ring. It is a little hazier tonight than last night and the ring is not as pronounced as last night.

I spend a lot of time outside at night on and off from dark to 2am or later due to my dog. I don't ever recall seeing this and I look at the moon and stars all the time. I'm out in the country away from all lights so it is very dark at night so there is almost no stray light to pollute the sky. If the moon was new you couldn't see your hand in front of your face except for star light.

Maybe it is more pronounced in December, I find it odd I never noticed this before. Maybe it is not all that common around here but here it is 2 nights in a row.

I'm guessing it is because you are looking for it now. I just looked out, it's a crisp, clear night here in N IL ( ~ 20F) and I could see the moon ring. It was rather vague though, not so much a distinct ring as a 'halo' around the moon, the size of the ring in that wiki link (we have a fair amount of light pollution here though). I never noticed it before, and probably would not have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned here. I have noticed those Sun Dogs before. They can be very clear on a cold clear day.

-ERD50

bbbamI, that's great! :dance: Just one thing is missing, your dog did not die! :LOL: Other than that, that's one great country and western song! Now put it to music and post it on YouTube!

It needs a few more elements to be the 'perfect' country song:

You Never Even Called Me by My Name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve Goodman" wrote the song and considered it "the perfect country and western song."[3] However, Coe told him that it was not the perfect country song because it "hadn't said anything at all about mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting drunk."[4] Goodman then proceeded to add the final verse, incorporating all five of Coe's requirements, whereupon Coe agreed that now it was "the perfect country-and-western song."[2]

:)

-ERD50

bbbamI, that's great! :dance: Just one thing is missing, your dog did not die! :LOL: Other than that, that's one great country and western song! Now put it to music and post it on YouTube!
The dog was dead...just couldn't remember because of all the beer drinkin'.

:LOL:........I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

It needs a few more elements to be the 'perfect' country song:

You Never Even Called Me by My Name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:)

-ERD50
Ahhhh ain't it so. Many a glass o' beer has become salty because of that song..... I'm tearin' up right about now....:greetings10:

bbbam, you done good with those lyrics--the ending is perfect and the song is purdy and sad.

DW and I saw a "winter halo" last night while we were out with the dog. Never seen one before that we know of. Wanted to get a picture but I didn't have a wide enough lens to get it, I tried. Way cool...

Last edited:
We saw it last night also. BIL and I were at a chili cook off / beer tasting, so I wasn't quite sure what i was seeing.

Back
Top Bottom