Buy (new to me) boat or join a boat club

wyecrabber1

Recycles dryer sheets
I grew up near the Chesapeake and had a boat for as long as I can remember. Mainly for fishing and crabbing. The boats have been 19' skiff, a fast bass boat and a center console.

Moved to St. Augustine several years ago and I now need to find a new boat. Most of my fishing will be inshore or I will trailer over to the gulf a few times a year. I usually fish by myself, so I don't anticipated the need of having a boat once I'm in my 80's.

My current boat is a 19' Kenner Nitro with a 90hp 4 stroke. The hull is in good shape, electronics updated, has a gps trolling motor and a new trailer. Having problems the motor, to the point I may need to repower.

So my options are to (1)repower with a new 115hp motor for about $14K, (2) find a used motor $9K, (3) buy a late model boat for anywhere from $30K -$45K or (4) join a boat club with access to boats across the US and Caribbean.

If I do options 1-3, I have annual expenses of @$2.5K for storage and insurance. I've had significant maintenance cost in the past 3 years that pushed yearly expenses to $6K.

The boat club has an initiation payment of 4K with a monthly fee of $350. Just like to know other's experience with boat clubs. The club I'm looking to join is Freedom Boat Club.

Thanks!!!!

After 50+ years of boat ownership, we joined Freedom last year, Boston area. As we usually only go out on weekdays, we've had zero problems with reservations and have even just called up a half hour before and got a boat with no reservation.

We love it! Nice boats, well maintained and great dock crew. It is a bit different from it being your "own" boat but as we (and our dear boat) got older, the idea of just handing the kid the keys at day's end really appeals to us. Also this is now haul-out season and, for the first time in 55 years, not having a boat (or two or three) to deal with is a bit pleasantly disorienting! We also got several boats when we winter in Florida.

YMMV, but the overall experience for us has been positive. Note that they do scare the pants off of you about grounding which had me paranoid for the first few weeks but my long experience with boats eventually overcame that.

For us, the boats are smaller than we're used to...we had a 52 footer and the main negative is no bathroom facilities and not being able to leave your "stuff" on board, but that is offset by the overall convenience and much lower cost.

Last edited:
No experience with the boat clubs. However, having owned a RV, and family owning boat when a kid, what I know is that with these things there's a significant amount of time and money spent on upkeep, maintenance, insurance, etc.

I think the boat club idea is really great because it's there when you want it, and most all of the headaches are offloaded from you. Additionally, as you mention, you have access to boats across a wide geographic region - how great is that? Fly to the Caribbean, your boat is waiting for you. If availability is generally very good, and they have a good number near where you live, I would opt for the boat club. My concern would be mostly of local availability. Obviously when you have your own boat, you can decide today that you're going tomorrow. Do you have to book far in advance with the boat club? Are you able to decide today that you want to go tomorrow?

. Obviously when you have your own boat, you can decide today that you're going tomorrow. Do you have to book far in advance with the boat club? Are you able to decide today that you want to go tomorrow?

Before we signed up we went down a few times to see how many boats were sitting idle.

As noted in my post above, several times we were able to just call the dock that day and come down in a half hour to get a boat. In our case, reservations or not, we hade zero problems.

Weekends of course are a different story but the harbors are a complete zoo, full of yahoos on weekends and we always avoided them even with our own boat.

[Edit] Turned out to be a nice day today. Called the dock at 12.00 and have a boat waiting for me when I get there at 1 today.

Last edited:
As noted in my post above, several times we were able to just call the dock that day and come down in a half hour to get a boat. In our case, reservations or not, we hade zero problems.

Weekends of course are a different story but the harbors are a complete zoo, full of yahoos on weekends and we always avoided them even with our own boat.

Well that's the beauty of retirement - weekdays work just as well as weekends and you can go at non-peak times to have the best availability.

We had Freedom boat club for 2 years. We lost money by giving it up too early. It was good while it lasted. We used it in Chicago and Connecticut in addition to the Potomac river near our house. Just caveats on fees. We thought we only had to pay for fuel used. Well initially it was only fuel then we were getting charged for boat cleaning too and any oil used for 2 strokes everytime we took out a boat. Felt we were getting ripped off.

We had Freedom boat club for 2 years. We lost money by giving it up too early. It was good while it lasted. We used it in Chicago and Connecticut in addition to the Potomac river near our house. Just caveats on fees. We thought we only had to pay for fuel used. Well initially it was only fuel then we were getting charged for boat cleaning too and any oil used for 2 strokes everytime we took out a boat. Felt we were getting ripped off.
We're not members but we're considering it, after owning racing sailboats for 25+ years. We would definitely join if not for the initiation fee - would prefer a higher monthly fee.

The above comes as news to me given what it says on their website.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.13.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.13.36 PM.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 57
We're not members but we're considering it, after owning racing sailboats for 25+ years. We would definitely join if not for the initiation fee - would prefer a higher monthly fee.

The above comes as news to me given what it says on their website.

We found that the initiation fee was very negotiable. Last August, they kept pestering me and each time the fee got smaller. By September, they ended up with a fee of $5,000 down from $7500. Plus we locked in last year's monthly and didn't have to pay till April. So we got to use boats all winter in Florida.

And, yes, usage and cleaning charges are something we've never heard of.

. Well initially it was only fuel then we were getting charged for boat cleaning too and any oil used for 2 strokes everytime we took out a boat. Felt we were getting ripped off.

I think you're getting hosed. We've never had any additional charges except for fuel.

And two stroke engines?!? All our boats are less than 3 years old with giant 250hp 4 strokes.

We DO tip $10 to the kid on the way out and another $10 when we return (it's not always the same kid) so you might consider that a "fee" but that's our choice. They're pretty helpful. Big tippers? Sure. But we're up about $25k a year vs our old boat so we're way ahead.

Last edited:
I think you're getting hosed.

Exactly or that's how we felt. On top of the fact that here in our area you continue to pay monthly during off season months. We're now using Boatsetter.com. it's an Airbnb for boats. Some rentals with fuel included. No nickel and diming. Five rentals so far. No monthlies, no contracts.

No experience with the boat clubs. However, having owned a RV, and family owning boat when a kid, what I know is that with these things there's a significant amount of time and money spent on upkeep, maintenance, insurance, etc.

I think the boat club idea is really great because it's there when you want it, and most all of the headaches are offloaded from you. Additionally, as you mention, you have access to boats across a wide geographic region - how great is that? Fly to the Caribbean, your boat is waiting for you. If availability is generally very good, and they have a good number near where you live, I would opt for the boat club. My concern would be mostly of local availability. Obviously when you have your own boat, you can decide today that you're going tomorrow. Do you have to book far in advance with the boat club? Are you able to decide today that you want to go tomorrow?

We live on the inter-coastal and go out boating often. I finally sold the boat and joined the Freedom Boat Club. At first we went out several times a week but now maybe once a month. I love not having to deal with cleaning, storage, repairs, insurance etc.
I show up and sail away and come back and toss the keys to the club. I only pay the monthly plus fuel used. We select from maybe 40 boats all are newish. The club is a no brainer unless your are a serious daily boater and have the time to tinker with maintenance. . We have found that week days are the best as their are fewer people on the water. Ive used the reciprocal clubs a few times with no issues. Good luck!

Or go the other direction and build a boat. I should be done by next summer ;-)

Unless you plan to fish or go out at night, definitely join the boat club. We too lived on the Chesapeake and moved to Florida (Hutchinson Island) a few years back. We had our own dock on the bay so it made sense to have our boats. Now that we are retired, live in Florida without a dock and travel half the year, FBC was the way to go.

We just sold our last boat, but spent the past few winters on it in the Keys and the west coast and enjoyed using boat club boats to fish and to explore. Really nice to not have to tow, clean, worry about hurricanes or maintain boats. We love it, and sounds like you will too!

I looked into the boat club, but the boats available were not really what i wanted. I also live on a canal so my boat is on a lift in my backyard. I primarily use my boat for fishing, and I go offshore quite a ways. So I wanted twin engine and larger than what was available.

I’ve had the boat three years now and I spend about 5-6 thousand a year on it. And put about 60-70 hours a year on it. When I go out my friends chip in for gas and other expenses. I generally will burn 75-100 gal of gas each trip so it adds up.

But in your case they do have what you are looking for so it may be a good option. I guess you would have to look at how many times you are going to use the boat. See if it works out for you.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my boat after Ian came over us. When you rent you don’t have to worry about dealing with storms and their aftermath. Luckily the boat had no damage, can’t say the same about the house. And we were fortunate to have missed the surge.

Attachments

• C340BD26-9DEF-48DE-AC01-4D1464CD52F7.jpg
    C340BD26-9DEF-48DE-AC01-4D1464CD52F7.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 44
You've owned a boat so presumably know how much you'd use it and what you want. That said, I'd recommend boat clubs to most people contemplating a boat -at least until they know they'd use it enough and to be sure what they want. The few that I know that's been in a boat club have been very happy and went out frequently (flexible schedule so a bit of weekday uses). As frequent users and generous tippers they were known by the staff and rarely had an issue getting the boat they wanted at the time they wanted and loved the convenience of boating without the work or cost of maintaining a boat (granted it's rolled into the fees/dues but I think at the frequency they went out they probably came out ahead subsidized by subscribers that didn't take full advantage).

As dm said, not having to worry about your boat while preparing for a storm is a bonus!

Personally, my only boats are human powered but I love friends with boats!

I live on a lake. We take our boat out maybe 10-12 times a year. You would think more, but no, not really. The wife wants to upgrade from a runabout to a tri-toon because they ride smoother and can handle a few more people. A new very basic tri-toon is going to run at least $45K with a 150HP outboard. If you figure we use it 12 times a year at $500 per outing, the payoff is 7.5 years. That's almost 8 years at $500 per use. Not to mention gas, insuranace, taxes and maintenance.

I live on a lake. We take our boat out maybe 10-12 times a year. You would think more, but no, not really. The wife wants to upgrade from a runabout to a tri-toon because they ride smoother and can handle a few more people. A new very basic tri-toon is going to run at least $45K with a 150HP outboard. If you figure we use it 12 times a year at $500 per outing, the payoff is 7.5 years. That's almost 8 years at $500 per use. Not to mention gas, insuranace, taxes and maintenance.

My dad once told me " if you have to figure out what a boat costs per use, maybe you shouldn't own a boat. It needs to be something you do because you love it, because you'll never, ever be able to justify the cost..."

Yup, that's a fact Jack. Boats are really expensive. If you are not a DIY type they are super expensive.

It's kinda like the home "rent or buy" discussion. Do you want to have and customize your spot on the water, stay out for days, weeks? Or just go out for a boat ride?

Here is a pic of my boat after Ian came over us. When you rent you don’t have to worry about dealing with storms and their aftermath. Luckily the boat had no damage, can’t say the same about the house. And we were fortunate to have missed the surge.

Good thing about the boat not being damaged. Your electronics survived fine ?

I grew up near the Chesapeake and had a boat for as long as I can remember. Mainly for fishing and crabbing. The boats have been 19' skiff, a fast bass boat and a center console.

Moved to St. Augustine several years ago and I now need to find a new boat. Most of my fishing will be inshore or I will trailer over to the gulf a few times a year. I usually fish by myself, so I don't anticipated the need of having a boat once I'm in my 80's.

My current boat is a 19' Kenner Nitro with a 90hp 4 stroke. The hull is in good shape, electronics updated, has a gps trolling motor and a new trailer. Having problems the motor, to the point I may need to repower.

So my options are to (1)repower with a new 115hp motor for about $14K, (2) find a used motor $9K, (3) buy a late model boat for anywhere from $30K -$45K or (4) join a boat club with access to boats across the US and Caribbean.

If I do options 1-3, I have annual expenses of @$2.5K for storage and insurance. I've had significant maintenance cost in the past 3 years that pushed yearly expenses to $6K.

The boat club has an initiation payment of 4K with a monthly fee of $350. Just like to know other's experience with boat clubs. The club I'm looking to join is Freedom Boat Club.

Thanks!!!!

Go with Freedom Boat Club. I've been a member for 13 years. OUTSTANDING and NONE of the hassle of owing your own boat.

My dad once told me " if you have to figure out what a boat costs per use, maybe you shouldn't own a boat. It needs to be something you do because you love it, because you'll never, ever be able to justify the cost..."

I was in a sailboat club for a year. Long enough to realize we really like being on the water. Now I'm building one.

I’m a 38ft sailboat owner and navigator, meteorologist, plumber, electrician, electronics technician, mechanic, woodworker, and finally a sailor. BOAT is acronym for break out another thousand ��

Back
Top Bottom