Cable

Theres a lot of marketing hype and a lot of confusion around HD. I've explained it to my dad about 5 times and he still doesnt quite get it.

If you live in or near a major metropolitan area that has good HD service, dont have a tivo (which you'll have to replace with an HD capable unit, probably for a good chunk of change) and really understand what you're getting into, its really easy to blow 2-3k and end up with not much to show for it.

I saw a stat recently that something like 75% of the people who own a high def set either dont have it hooked up correctly or dont have a high def program source and are therefore still watching SD...and dont even know it.

The good news for me is that my local Sams Club resells all their returned products in-house. About two weeks after christmas and two weeks after the superbowl, the aisles are full of marked down returned tv sets. The bad news for me is that I cant think of any possible way to justify another new tv to my wife.

We dumped cable, but since we watch a lot of movies around here we have a Netflix 4-at-a-time subscription that comes to $25/month, and then we also have a Spiritual Cinema Circle subscription for about $25/month.

With that, we're saving about $10/month from what our extended cable service was costing us, but our enjoyment of "TV time" has gone up considerably. We only watch when there's something we intend to watch, rather than simply having cable on because it's there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom