Can’t delete a shared Google Sheets file

COcheesehead

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I downloaded a shared Google Sheets file and now I can’t delete it. Normally I would just click on the three little dots to the right and delete would be an option, but the only things it will let me do are pictured in the attached. I also tried to drag it into trash and it won’t let me do that either. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 20
I downloaded a shared Google Sheets file and now I can’t delete it. Normally I would just click on the three little dots to the right and delete would be an option, but the only things it will let me do are pictured in the attached. I also tried to drag it into trash and it won’t let me do that either. Any suggestions?

What device/browser are you using? I use a Mac with Safari. The ONLY options I see for a shared Sheet are:

Rename (disabled by owner)
Remove
Open in New Tab

I don't see any of the other ones that you see.

Edited to add: And do you really mean "Downloaded". Google Sheets are normally cloud-based and just edited within the browser.

Last edited:
Close the browser, go to the Downloaded folder and delete it there, and wherever else you saved it to, if you saved it.

What device/browser are you using? I use a Mac with Safari. The ONLY options I see for a shared Sheet are:

Rename (disabled by owner)
Remove
Open in New Tab

I don't see any of the other ones that you see.

iPad with Safari. 16.5 OS the latest.

iPad with Safari. 16.5 OS the latest.

I just opened a shared Sheet on my iPad using the browser. I have a "Remove" option just below where yours shows the "Report" option.

I don't have a clue why yours doesn't show that.

Edited to add: Actually, I have the Google Sheets app installed on my iPad. And even though I accessed the Sheet from Safari, it loaded it into the Sheets app. Do you have the Sheets app installed? Maybe it needs it to do some operations.

Last edited:
Close the browser, go to the Downloaded folder and delete it there, and wherever else you saved it to, if you saved it.

That seemed promising, but the file does not seem to be in the downloads, iCloud, on my iPad, etc. it only seems to reside in Sheets.

I just opened a shared Sheet on my iPad using the browser. I have a "Remove" option just below where yours shows the "Report" option.

I don't have a clue why yours doesn't show that.

Edited to add: Actually, I have the Google Sheets app installed on my iPad. And even though I accessed the Sheet from Safari, it loaded it into the Sheets app. Do you have the Sheets app installed? Maybe it needs it to do some operations.

I have the app and use it all the time. I am used to seeing the remove option as well, but for some reason it does not give me that option with this shared sheet.

I googled this issue and found no answers elsewhere. It’s a mystery. The file just always resides in the app and is just kind of annoying.

I have the app and use it all the time. I am used to seeing the remove option as well, but for some reason it does not give me that option with this shared sheet.

I googled this issue and found no answers elsewhere. It’s a mystery. The file just always resides in the app and is just kind of annoying.

Weird. I just checked and I have 9 shared Sheets. Everyone of them has the Remove option. No idea. That would drive me crazy!

Good luck.

If I open the file, it gives me these options.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 14
Weird. I just checked and I have 9 shared Sheets. Everyone of them has the Remove option. No idea. That would drive me crazy!

Good luck.

I know my way around spreadsheets, but this one is a stumper. It’s not the end of the world, but I would like to delete it. :facepalm:

I've had the same experience. I've tried all kinds of approaches but can't delete. I suspect that the sharer has to delete it or initiate deletion for you.

I think there's a difference between sharing a file with a friend vs downloading a file from SGOTI. I am able to delete shared files with DW.

Last edited:
If I open the file, it gives me these options.

Try this: DON'T open the file but just right click it. A different set of menu items MIGHT appear including "remove"

Try this: DON'T open the file but just right click it. A different set of menu items MIGHT appear including "remove"

If I do that, the options shown in my first post pop up.

If I do that, the options shown in my first post pop up.

OK. Last chance. If you have the files on your phone or tablet? I've noticed a different set of capabilities than laptop. After this, I can't help and I'm stuck with my own downloaded files

OK. Last chance. If you have the files on your phone or tablet? I've noticed a different set of capabilities than laptop. After this, I can't help and I'm stuck with my own downloaded files

They are on an iPad.

An iPad is a mobile device.

You can probably remove the file by logging in to google from your PC.

No PC in the house.
I was teasing.

What you get in a regular browser is different, and now we both see that odd thing that can occur.

Can you change your mobile browser setting from Mobile to Desktop? That might show the missing setting...

I was teasing.

What you get in a regular browser is different, and now we both see that odd thing that can occur.

Can you change your mobile browser setting from Mobile to Desktop? That might show the missing setting...

I switched to desktop and still get the same options. I have to believe it was the way the file was set up. Every other file has a remove option.

Back
Top Bottom