"Can I afford it" - surgical procedure

This thread and the reaction to it remind why it is much better to be unmarried.

Who cares what a boyfriend or girlfriend does with what is in fact their own money? But it might be annoying to have to cough up 1/2 of $10-15 thousand dollars to avoid the dreaded other side of "happy wife, happy life". Which I assume would be unhappy wife, hell on earth.

From where I sit, it appears that unhappy wives are not exactly rare.

Ha

This thread and the reaction to it remind why it is much better to be unmarried.

Who cares what a boyfriend or girlfriend does with what is in fact their own money? But it might be annoying to have to cough up 1/2 of $10-15 thousand dollars to avoid the dreaded other side of "happy wife, happy life". Which I assume would be unhappy wife, hell on earth.

From where I sit, it appears that unhappy wives are not exactly rare.

Ha

I agree with the "not being married" part but I know a number of unhappy husbands too- it's not just wives.
I'm just thankful I'm not the cause of an unhappy spouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Friend of mine who had gastric bypass years ago showed me the flap of tummy her weight loss left behind.

She had a tummy tuck and it made a big difference for her.

Shop around, not just for price but for low complication rate too. Only you can decide if you can afford it.

I could use one myself....

Will you get any kind of a tax break? It's pretty easy to run up medical deductions over 10% of AGI when you throw that in.

As for it being "her" money- well, when you're married any chunk of money like that affects both your futures. I say that as a wife whose 65-year old husband retired when we married, while I worked another 12 years, to age 61. I still felt that any extravagance of mine was still a joint decision. Fortunately we have similar values!

I agree, though, that your wife should go for it since it will make her happy and it won't break the budget.

I guess because it's elective/not medically necessary you can't get it done at a military hospital? Just a thought 'cuz you mentioned a military pension.

O

Shop around, but you don't get to say no on this one. I had a similar discussion at the Cleveland Clinic 3-4 years ago, was going to be about 10k. Backed away from it because the doctor was very frank about the downtime, recovery time, and potential negatives (slim, but not for me). Make sure she really knows what she's facing - not "back to normal in a week" - walk away from any doctor feeding that line of BS, and operate only in a good hospital.

She's young enough that she'll get her money's worth in terms of bikini-years ahead of year.

I agree with the "not being married" part but I know a number of unhappy husbands too- it's not just wives.
I'm just thankful I'm not the cause of an unhappy spouse.

Yes, you are certainly right. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ha

You did not say what the surgery was, but if it makes you feel better too, go with it.

And when it doubt, go larger. They are worth every penny. $13.5K is too much, shop around.

OK, we now know the OP is talking about a tummy tuck. But, at first that wasn't clear.

Senator's response (in his honest mistakingness) was correct: if in doubt go larger. It's kind of like buying a flat screen TV: when you're buying it, it seems plenty large enough, but after a week of watching it, you realize you probably should have bought one (or, in this case two), a bit larger.

note: I added Amethyst's quote because I liked it.

Last edited:
Sure, but you can hang the darn TV on the wall when your back gets tired of carrying it around.
OK, we now know the OP is talking about a tummy tuck. But, at first that wasn't clear.

Senator's response (in his honest mistakingness) was correct: if in doubt go larger. It's kind of like buying a flat screen TV: when you're buying it, it seems plenty large enough, but after a week of watching it, you realize you probably should have bought one (or, in this case two), a bit larger.

note: I added Amethyst's quote because I liked it.

Back
Top Bottom