Car Indulgences - Driving 3 Cars

I've been looking at everything from Porsche Taycans to Miatas. I want something more interesting that the generic suv but at the high end there is a lot of performance that you really can't use in real life. A friend had a Viper in his garage for years and ultimately sold it. Not really very practical.

If I could have any vette, it would be the 1963 split window.

I'm sure the newer vette's could run rings around it, but I don't care.

Our split window was a great car, beautiful lines. One of the things the '63 coupe has in common with the C8, really lousy sight out the back window. The C8 does have a rear view camera you can switch to in the mirror but if you are just using the mirror the view is worse than the split window. I think I only have a 4" or 5" view. I leave the camera on all the time. I have no problem with viewing with the camera but several men on the corvette forums have said they have a problem with the camera.

I stopped at a friends house to give him a ride the first week I had the C8. He's tall, 6'5" and didn't fit in very well. He said it reminded him of the '63. Didn't fit in that very well either. lol

Our split window was a great car, beautiful lines. One of the things the '63 coupe has in common with the C8, really lousy sight out the back window. The C8 does have a rear view camera you can switch to in the mirror but if you are just using the mirror the view is worse than the split window. I think I only have a 4" or 5" view. I leave the camera on all the time. I have no problem with viewing with the camera but several men on the corvette forums have said they have a problem with the camera.

I stopped at a friends house to give him a ride the first week I had the C8. He's tall, 6'5" and didn't fit in very well. He said it reminded him of the '63. Didn't fit in that very well either. lol

I am in no danger of buying either a '63 or a C8. Nonetheless, I appreciate the real-world comments on these! :flowers:

Our split window was a great car, beautiful lines. One of the things the '63 coupe has in common with the C8, really lousy sight out the back window.

Yes, I remember reading that some 63 owners actually replaced the split window with a single piece.

Found a mention here -
https://barnfinds.com/split-window-survivor-1963-chevrolet-corvette-coupe-2/

"It is incredible today to think that when they were new, some owners so disliked the Split Window feature of their 1963 Corvette Coupe that they had the rear windows replaced with a dealer-supplied one-piece Plexiglass item. Even more astounding is the fact that Chevrolet eventually supplied a one-piece conversion for owners to have installed."

Ironic, since the split window is so sought after now.

Buy the 911

When you enjoy the ride, it's well worth the $!!!

We have 3 cars, each with their own function.

2021 Audi Q7 for any hauling that needs to be done.
2013 Audi A6, good for long comfortable rides.
The fun car is the 2009 Porsche Cayman.

Non get used frequently, but that's ok.

I have been in part time retirement mode since the end of 2019 with plans to start withdrawals in 2022. My biggest vice is probably cars... I like (and enjoy) a nice car and currently drive a 2019 AMG GT 53 and my wife drives a 2019 X5. While I don't drag around clients anymore, I "compromised" with the practical side of my brain by owning one 4 door sedan and one SUV which was good for some hardware store pickups and hauling extra peep(s) and luggage on vacations. On my car bucket list has always been a convertible 911 Cabriolet, but if I did buy this car, I feel the need to have some other vehicle with some "practicality", like a pickup, as I would not drive the 911 every day and want something else that made some sense.

So here's my rub and my questions... indulgence aside, am I setting myself up for a big disappointment (i.e. "2 best days... bought a boat/sold a boat")? For those of you who have the extra "fun" car, how often are you driving it compared to the other car? Any regrets, glad you you have the 2 car combo, do it differently next time? What cars do you own?

I get it's all personal, but curious of the experience of those who might fit in this category.

"Setting myself up for a big disappointment" Does that mean you've never driven a 911? My husband and I were both car people and owned and drove many different vehicles before collecting only corvettes.
Having a second vehicle depends on the car/truck and other activities that you do. We aren't retired yet. We have jobs we enjoy. We live in one of the northern states so need a vehicle that goes in bad weather. Corvettes aren't great for snow or hauling things. Have you ever gone to a food or home improvement store and had your vehicle hit with a shopping cart or gotten a door ding? Even with my daily driver I park away from people and still came back to find that someone had parked farther out and let a shopping cart hit my SUV.
Car insurance, at least for us, is pretty cheap even with the new vette.
When we had all the older vettes we didn't drive them very often but the newer vettes are taken out almost every weekend.

Corvettes aren't great for snow or hauling things. Have you ever gone to a food or home improvement store and had your vehicle hit with a shopping cart or gotten a door ding?

Off-topic, but a few years ago I made a late-evening run to Home Depot on a blustery day. The parking was nearly empty, save for a Corvette parked at the very end of the lot. When I came out of the store, from the distance I saw a loose shopping cart get blown by the wind, spun around, rolled down the slight incline, and tracked diagonally, like an arrow, straight for the door of the 'Vette. :facepalm:

Off-topic, but a few years ago I made a late-evening run to Home Depot on a blustery day. The parking was nearly empty, save for a Corvette parked at the very end of the lot. When I came out of the store, from the distance I saw a loose shopping cart get blown by the wind, spun around, rolled down the slight incline, and tracked diagonally, like an arrow, straight for the door of the 'Vette. :facepalm:
I love Vettes but they are known to attract a number of things. Like shopping carts just seem to be pulled towards Vettes like magnets, and jealous people with keys in their hands just can't stay away, and of course cops love them. I honestly can't recall how many times I was stopped in my Vettes, but it was a lot. Mostly got warnings... Now I dive SUV's with almost twice the horsepower as my Vettes but I have never been pulled over those... :confused::)

I love Vettes but they are known to attract a number of things.

Mine attracts deer. Hit a baby deer in the street at the end of our driveway. Doing about 20mph. Killed the deer. Deer was with its mom that bled out and died in the road too. Turned out that neighbor shot the mother with an arrow, and mother and baby ran across the road where I hit the baby.

That was about $5k damage only at 20 mph

I love Vettes but they are known to attract a number of things. Like shopping carts just seem to be pulled towards Vettes like magnets, and jealous people with keys in their hands just can't stay away, and of course cops love them. I honestly can't recall how many times I was stopped in my Vettes, but it was a lot. Mostly got warnings... Now I dive SUV's with almost twice the horsepower as my Vettes but I have never been pulled over those... :confused::)

Mine attracts deer. Hit a baby deer in the street at the end of our driveway. Doing about 20mph. Killed the deer. Deer was with its mom that bled out and died in the road too. Turned out that neighbor shot the mother with an arrow, and mother and baby ran across the road where I hit the baby.

That was about $5k damage only at 20 mph

Silly me, I forgot the most important things Vettes attract... See aja8888 post 144 in the thread link below, if interested.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/stations-out-of-gas-tx-109238-8.html#post2606945

I've had two Vettes, a 58 with a 3 speed (yup a 3 speed) and the 64 pictured on my profile.
Both were loads of fun, but as others have said, getting in and out spoils the whole experience. Oh well, playing basket ball as a teen was great fun.

So here's my rub and my questions... indulgence aside, am I setting myself up for a big disappointment (i.e. "2 best days... bought a boat/sold a boat")? For those of you who have the extra "fun" car, how often are you driving it compared to the other car? Any regrets, glad you you have the 2 car combo, do it differently next time? What cars do you own?

I get it's all personal, but curious of the experience of those who might fit in this category.

My daily driver is a 2010 small 2wd pickup. I use it for hauling around a lawnmower in the summer, a snowblower in the winter, the occasional trip to the lumber/hardware store and to the landfill and yard waste drop-off sites. I also restored a '79 El Camino that I take to the occasional car show (pre-COVID) and just enjoy driving when I can during the summer.

My wife's daily driver is a 2015 compact front wheel drive sedan. She uses it to go to work and for running errands. She inherited a '77 2-seat convertible from her father. I got it in drivable shape and we've been taking it out to the (semi) local drive-in on nice days or for ice cream once-in-a-while.

We also have a 2003 4wd SUV that is our backup vehicle if any of our daily drivers needs service or has a flat tire. We used it for towing our camper before we sold the camper and we plan on using it to tow a boat if we find one this year.

So between the two of us we have 5 vehicles. Our summers are short here but we try to drive our summer fun vehicles as much as we can from May through September.

All of the vehicles are paid for, and the insurance isn't too expensive so we just accept the fact that we're a 5-vehicle family. :D

Try this recently completed Split Window Coupe out:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10164923828325696&set=pcb.878511199546835

I've had two Vettes, a 58 with a 3 speed (yup a 3 speed) and the 64 pictured on my profile.
Both were loads of fun, but as others have said, getting in and out spoils the whole experience. Oh well, playing basket ball as a teen was great fun.

Still can get in and out of my Z4 reasonably well, except right after Pickleball.
When I can't, or the maintenance gets crazy, then will say goodbye.

Fleet size=3

I’ve always been a MB fan. Got the first one in college and had one off and on since then. Picked up a 2014 E350 and like the styling and handling. Also keep a minivan for hauling hobby stuff, bags to the airport and general use. Currently a 2019 Pacifica Limited. Lots I don’t like about it, but needed to replace the VW Routan and this was a good deal.
Wife is on her second Smart car and loves it.

Insurance is getting crazy, about 1K/year/car. But we enjoy them and the mix works for the two of us. Mileage runs 6-7K per car a year.

I keep cars for 10 years or longer. The E350 may turn into a SL550 or whatever is out there when I’m ready. The van is likely to stay a van or SUV, as the utility hauler with a hitch.
The wife is likely going to not find another Smart car in the US so she is leaning toward an SLC, Miata, or X4 BMW. We both have a while to go before needing another car.

FWIW, I pay cash or 30 day financing if it improves the price. Last van was a short 30 day finance saved me -1K, but the dealer and Chrysler finance were such a pain, I won’t bother again. I’ll also stick to the better quality dealerships typical of MB, BMW, Volvo and even VW. In 24 months, I’ve found Chrysler dealerships and Chrysler to be a pretty crappy option.

Get and drive what you enjoy. If you can afford it, don’t worry about it. Got a friend that is a collector, several garages, lots of Porsche, Vettes. Motorcycles, and exotics. Yet he mostly drives the minivan because it is more useful.

I have been in part time retirement mode since the end of 2019 with plans to start withdrawals in 2022. My biggest vice is probably cars... I like (and enjoy) a nice car and currently drive a 2019 AMG GT 53 and my wife drives a 2019 X5. While I don't drag around clients anymore, I "compromised" with the practical side of my brain by owning one 4 door sedan and one SUV which was good for some hardware store pickups and hauling extra peep(s) and luggage on vacations. On my car bucket list has always been a convertible 911 Cabriolet, but if I did buy this car, I feel the need to have some other vehicle with some "practicality", like a pickup, as I would not drive the 911 every day and want something else that made some sense.

DawgMan you’re not alone! I started to add to my mini collection of 3 cars since my retirement. A 78 Porsche 911SC owned since 1987, a 2004 Porsche 911 40AE where I got it for below market in 2007/8 financial years, and a 1970 Lotus Europa in 2010. Upon my retirement in 2013, I added a BMW e39 M5 claimed to be the fastest 4 doors sedan in 2001after convincing myself via the practical side of my brain. But when a friend offers his silver 64 Corvette, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. My daily is an older Land Cruiser and my wife drives a Honda Hybrid. Now fast forward to Post pandemic era, I found myself not driving them much at all so I sold the Lotus and preparing two others to the auction later this year. My goal is to keep the practical M5, trade the two Porsches to a new 992 with PDK transmission, and keep the American icon Corvette as long as possible... no power steering so it’s difficult to get it in and out of a reverse garage. No regrets, I loved all of them and each one reminds my of the fond memories of the 60s, 70s, 80s. They are simple to work on, quite enjoyable.
DawgMan, both of your MB AMG and X5 are practical cars. I think the new 992 would fit well with your style, including using it as a daily. The new 992 is much larger than previous generations both due to requirements for safety and performance. They even have a wet mode automatically when it detects raining. Many people would drive their 911 in the winter with the C4, btw you don’t even need to get the high performance S or Turbo model. Just check out the base model Cab or the C4, they are amazing cars evolving from 1965 the first 911. Another reason for choosing the Porsche is that the 911 does not deprecate with compatible cars. Porsche 911 would be more reliable then both of your current vehicles. My older Porsches both increased significantly in value as my excuse to keep them to my dear wife although we know cars are bad investments. Go check out the 992 and best of luck!

We have 6 cars for two drivers. Within a year or two of FIRE and I look at the auto expenses with a lot more scrutiny. Pretty sure I can cut about 10K a year from insurance, tags and maintenance.

Current stable
97 M3 (supercharged, suspension, etc.). Used to be my fun car, now sits on battery tender most of the year
05 Jeep Wrangler. My big off road jeep. Wifey loves the adventures with this and wont let me sell it.
65 Cobra (fake of course). Funner than a barrel of monkeys, totally impractical. Always brings a smile. Wifey loves this one too, but she can't reach the pedals to drive it
05 Yukon XL 2500. Tow b*tch. Home Depot runs. Starting to need some attention, but pretty easy to DIY. I dont ever want to sell it
06 Lexus GS my old DD, now the wife drives it mostly. 180K, super reliable, wont die, cheap to own
18 Golf R. 6 speed. Sleeper fun car. Faster up the canyons than the cobra or M3. So easy to drive. Looks like an econobox.

As I approach FIRE, I just need to accept that the fun cars are going to cost me another 10K a year, or 250K in assets at 4% SWR. We could always pare down if needed.

Buy the 911. They are actually pretty reliable. I would wait until next winter as used Porches are demanding big $$$ right now.

Nice thing about Porsches. They are reliable and they hold their value very well. I'd definitely say to buy it.

I'd always wanted a GT3 and when it came into my price range I bought one used with low miles. Drove it on the track, to work and as a weekend fun car. never regretted it and when I sold it, it was well worth the expense.

My "practical" fun car is now a Focus RS. I don't sweat it so much when I have to leave it parked somewhere since most folks just think it's another Focus, not a 350HP AWD, limited production screamer.

My fun car is my 2016 V6 naturally aspirated Honda Accord coupe 6 speed manual. It has been bulletproof and rowing through the gears is pure fun.

For the last 20 years, including before and during retirement, we've had three cars for the two of us:
A Corvette for long road trips, daily driving, and some competition. Mostly for me.
A sedan or SUV for DW as her daily driver.
An older sedan for me to use when the weather is too crummy to enjoy the Corvette or loan the kids when they visit.

We're happy.

Don’t leave with just a brochure

I retired two weeks ago and was recently given the advice from a working coworker who just cleaned out her deceased dad‘s residence. While cleaning out the dining room, she found the brochure of the Chevrolet Corvette that her dad had been admiring for years and years. Her advice to me was “go buy the car, don’t die with just the brochure.”

I own a 2000 GMC Safari Van that I used like a truck to pull my Bayliner Cuddy boat, hauling lumber, moving, and putting a twin mattress and potty toilet inside to go camping. So practical that I will never give it up. However, it is not fun to drive. To supplement my van, I thought about all the cars that I owned and decided that my C5 corvette gave me the most "joy". My BMW 330i came second while my pontiac with a 455 engine came third. I had a Lexus 400LS but sports cars are better for me than luxury cars. My next second car will either be a C7 corvette convertible or a BMW 335i hardtop convertible. Life is too short to drive a luxury car or having only one car to drive. IMO, having one practical van or SUV and one sport car convertible is the way to go. If you are worried about being disappointed, buy a used inexpensive convertible sports car if you also have a practical SUV as a backup while you perform repairs or maintenance on your "toy".

"Joy" and "Toy" are similar emotions that gives people pleasure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom