Car Trouble - Mechanical Question

LauAnn

Recycles dryer sheets
The right front wheel of my car fell off today. No one hurt. The tow driver indicated some 'bolt' came loose from the ball joint.

Just six weeks ago I had my car in for inspection and in order to pass the following work was done.
- Replaced the right front stabilizer bushing
- Replaced both front control arm bushings

Could the above work have contributed to the failure I had today? Is the ball joint related to the above work? I.e. Is it possible the 'bolt' that came loose might not have been properly tightened/replaced when the bushings work was done?

I know nothing about cars but want to be know what questions I should ask tomorrow when I speak to the mechanic. I feel like maybe the work done at inspection time might have contributed to the wheel falling off.

It might help if you identified the vehicle make /model / year. If they replaced the control arm bushings, they almost certainly removed the pinch bolt and removed the ball joint studs temporarily.

In short, yes, they probably forgot to re-torque a bolt.

The car is a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. Thanks travelover

The bolt this hyper guy takes out at the 33 second and 1:45 point is the bolt that was probably left loose. See how the ball joint falls out when the bolt is removed in the later segment?

Last edited:
Agree it is likely that the ball joint bolt was left loose. Replacing the lower control arm requires the ball joint to be disconnected.

You should go back to the shop that did the work and they should admit they screwed up and pay for the damages and repair costs. It may help to have your mechanic write up something for you. The shop that did the work will most likely want to do the repair themselves.

The Chevy dealership that did the inspection work would not admit to being responsible. HOWEVER, as a 'goodwill' gesture (their words) they replaced the right front axle and control arm with 'good' (their words) used parts. They did not charge me for the used parts nor any labor charges.

I understand that they don't was to admit responsibility nor can anyone prove with 100% certainty that they were responsible. In any event, I am satisfied (for now) with the outcome. Sure hoping those 'good' used parts hold up.

The Chevy dealership that did the inspection work would not admit to being responsible. HOWEVER, as a 'goodwill' gesture (their words) they replaced the right front axle and control arm with 'good' (their words) used parts. They did not charge me for the used parts nor any labor charges.

I understand that they don't was to admit responsibility nor can anyone prove with 100% certainty that they were responsible. In any event, I am satisfied (for now) with the outcome. Sure hoping those 'good' used parts hold up.
Sounds like you are satisfied with the outcome, but ball joint studs don't just come loose. They screwed up and won't admit it. I wouldn't go back there for any additional work.

Nobody has to proof with 100% certainty.... in small claims court you just have to prove that it was more likely than not that they were the cause.... and that would be pretty easy IMO...

Back
Top Bottom