Carryon Luggage Hassles

Status
Not open for further replies.

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-goods/2019/12/30/21030336/carry-on-luggage-hassle this line got to me. I pay for a ticket, check luggage, why the he!! can't I put my coat up there!! And DON'T TOUCH IT! I deserve the space of 1 suitcase just as much as she does! Need more than 1/3 bin? Check it! Screenshot_20191231-150554_Chrome.jpeg

I always wait until the passengers are all on. There is usually plenty of room to tuck a coat on top, or between the carry-ons. When working, I was a frequent traveler. I took ONLY carry on, even to Asia for a week or 10 days. Not the cost, checked bags were free at my status (and still are, or the company would pay, if not) but the convenience.

What makes me mad are the ones with a clearly oversize bag, that insist it would fit. One actually broke a light trying to shove a bag into the compartment. Delayed the flight for 30 Minutes to clean up the mess.

We travel frequently. Our international size carry on (slightly smaller that NA size) take up 1/3 of the space and weigh anywhere between 7 and 10 KG. Purses, coat, laptop all go on the floor in front of us.

Many of the regional airlines that we travel on outside NA enforce these rules. Not so in NA. Not certain why. On one of our recent trips we got sized and weighted at check in AND again at the departure gate. We do not have a problem with this.

We fly quite a bit. We do not dither about like many. Bag goes up, we sit down, and let others behind us proceed. Too often we are delayed by people with too much, people who are physcially unable to manage even their carry on, or those that like to stand in the aisle open their bags, and get this or that out. All the while holding everyone up. Very selfish.

Last edited:
We travel frequently. Our international size carry on (slightly smaller that NA size) take up 1/3 of the space and weigh anywhere between 7 and 10 KG. Purses, coat, laptop all go on the floor in front of us.

Many of the regional airlines that we travel on outside NA enforce these rules. Not so in NA. Not certain why. On one of our recent trips we got sized and weighted at check in AND again at the departure gate. We do not have a problem with this.

That one took me by surprise several years ago. Carry on from US, connecting flight in Europe, and they said I could not make my flight because there was no time to check my bag. Got it sorted out, but it was a hassle. Uniformity among the air carriers would be helpful.

Not just size difference. There may also be significant differences in weight restrictions. Much of our travel is outside NA where a limit of 7-10 kg on regional carriers is the norm. On Jetstar Australia there is a surcharge if you want to increase the carry on weight from 7 to 10 kg.

If you want uniformity, it will probably be the smaller size or weight. That means domestic passengers have to deal with the smaller limits even though they aren't going overseas.

Typical US domestic carry on size:
22 x 14 x 9 in
56 x 35 x 23 cm

European carry on size varies, but the most typical size seems to be:
22 x 16 x 9 in
55 x 40 x 23 cm

Some carriers require a smaller size, so it's always best to check ahead of time.

Weight varies widely, so it's wise to also check that with the airline.

In https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-goods/2019/12/30/21030336/carry-on-luggage-hassle this line got to me. I pay for a ticket, check luggage, why the he!! can't I put my coat up there!! And DON'T TOUCH IT! I deserve the space of 1 suitcase just as much as she does! Need more than 1/3 bin? Check it!View attachment 33417

Millions of miles here. Check the dang bag. And don't even think about mentioning my small items in the overhead bin. My latest peave is the last minute offers to check your bag at the gate for no cost. Nice to stick it to the customers who pay up front. Anyhow I'm too old and unmotivated to play the game. In any event it beats driving.

Millions of miles here. Check the dang bag. And don't even think about mentioning my small items in the overhead bin. My latest peave is the last minute offers to check your bag at the gate for no cost. Nice to stick it to the customers who pay up front. Anyhow I'm too old and unmotivated to play the game. In any event it beats driving.
Agreed! I will not take up my foot space to accommodate someone's need for an entire bin. I pay just as much and deserve as much. I will keep my purse on my seat with me. Like the control

Last edited:
^^^^ and stay off my lawn!

Actually, I disagree. Overheads are for carry-ons... and coats etc only if there is space available.

As a tall person I need my legroom and foot space. That’s why I check my bag and put the carry on in the overhead bin. That’s Win/Win. If The airline insists I put my carry on where my feet belong, then I will start carrying on my bigger bag. That’s what’s called Lose/lLose.

Last edited:

We fly quite a bit. We do not dither about like many. Bag goes up, we sit down, and let others behind us proceed. Too often we are delayed by people with too much, people who are physcially unable to manage even their carry on, or those that like to stand in the aisle open their bags, and get this or that out. All the while holding everyone up. Very selfish.

Really? These people have the same rights to the bins as other passengers. Don't get me started. It's called "preboard" and if it were used correctly, this would not happen. This is a major issue with Southwest, who inconsistently applies preboard criteria and whose attendants are not required to assist passengers. It's embarrassing for the person that should be allowed to preboard to stand in the aisle, holding up traffic, until a helpful stranger decides to assist in stowing the carry-on to get things moving.

Off-topic, flight attendants are supposed to help in case of emergency. The original flight attendants were nurses. I wonder if for safety reasons, there should be physical strength and agility tests and if proper attire should include shoes and clothing that allow the attendant to do the job in an emergency.

Just leave room for my guitar case. :)

On my last flight to Phoenix on Southwest, there was a young woman with a double bass in a case. The double bass rode with her in the case. It did not look like she purchased a second seat, although I could not really see for sure. She hustled that thing off the plane faster than most people getting luggage out of the overhead bins did.

We travelled through Poland this summer and the Łódź flight we were on had a lower weight for carryon than Scandinavian Air or the Star Alliance partner that we were also on earlier that trip.

We found this out the night before, planning to check the extra bag. The next morning at the airport they checked the bag for free as we chatted calmly to the agent.

The size of the carryon was not an issue apparently. Just the weight?

The size of the carryon was not an issue apparently. Just the weight?

Yes, as I said earlier (Post #7), that's something you need to check in advance. The Polish airline requirement is much lower than most.

A decade ago, we just went with checking our bags. We seldom pay (status while working & mostly FC tix in retirement) We also like to board dead last when the drama is (for the most part) over.

If I bring a coat, I bring a light jacket that I keep on my lap, put in my backpack, or sometimes put in checked baggage. No way would I put a coat up in the bins to be subject to damage. And I almost always keep my backpack on the floor at my feet. I carry my camera/ lenses/ laptop/ iPad in there and don't want them damaged either.

A couple of years ago I bought a puffy coat at Costco that folds up into a very small bag. It is great for travel. I either keep it out for a blanket or put it in its bag and use it as a small pillow. It takes up very little room which is great when I travel from a cold climate to a warm climate where I just stow it away for that part of trip. Now it is not high fashion, but neither is the rest of my wardrobe.

Last year my wife was in a wheelchair. I had a backpack style carry on, and I towed her Travel Pro swivel wheel carry on--while pushing her in her travel style wheelchair.

After going to the front of every security and waiting que's, she was wanting to take the chair on this year's trip. She's had the knee replaced, and she can now handle her own bag.

But we do get a little perturbed when those budget airline gate agents want to make and example of us and my 21" rolling bag being 1" too tall to fit their rack.

I always preferred to check my bag so I wouldn't have to haul it around the airport and worry about whether it will fit in the overhead. But I have become so PO'd by the frequent $25 charge that I have started carrying it on. It either fits or they let me check it for free at the gate. If they would waive the check in fee for the first piece I would go back to checking and do all the carry-on passengers a favor. And why isn't a back pack considered a carry on? I had a steward pull my back pack off the rack so some one else's roll-aboard could go there. WTF?

.... And why isn't a back pack considered a carry on? I had a steward pull my back pack off the rack so some one else's roll-aboard could go there. WTF?

No... WADR, the steward is correct. Carry-ons/roll-aboards have first priority of the overhead bins... if there is room leftover then coats and personal items (small backpacks, duffles, etc) can go in the overhead bin.

So a large roll-aboard size backpack could go in the overhead and would count against the one carry-on that you are allowed but a small backpack is a personal item and would go under the seat in front of you unless the overhead bins have space available.

One exception is for people seated with the bulkhead in front of them since they have no storage beneath their feet so their personal items must go in the overhead bin.

Last edited:
... But we do get a little perturbed when those budget airline gate agents want to make and example of us and my 21" rolling bag being 1" too tall to fit their rack.

Easy solution Bamaman.... you're a pretty wealthy guy... just don't take the budget airlines! :D

As an aside, we had a trip from hell to get back home yesterday... the delay of our layover at Dulles was longer than our travel time from Dulles to Tampa... and to boot we got all settled in and then had to disembark and walk 1/4 mile down the hall and load onto another plane.

The economy seats are increasingly tight and I swear I know some obese people who would absolutely, positively not fit into the bathroom (and I'm no skinny-Minnie).

I cheaped out and didn't spring for the upgrade to first class which on one-leg was 127% of what we paid for economy... but I think it is time to "blow that dough". I got a mild leg cramp mid-flight and had a soda on the tray table in front of me and had a devil of a time getting out of my aisle seat to relieve the leg cramp without spilling the soda over everyone... thank goodness I wasn't in the middle or window seat.. I would have had to suffer and massage it out.

Last edited:
Not a problem for me. I always board early as I have an "ICD". Got elbowed in the chest once by some ignorant git hustling to get his luggage up before me, never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom