Casual Shoes

inquisitive

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been having some foot pain and I have no idea what the cause is, but regardless I need to obtain some casual shoes and am looking for recommendations. I have running shoes for running and a couple pairs of dress shoes for work. What can I wear if I am meeting up with a friend, or have to do a day of errands? I'm male, am looking for something that's good for feet, durable, and comfortable. Also I do a lot of walking. I get heel taps on all my dress shoes because the outer surfaces were getting worn down quickly and this has really helped. Obviously price is a factor otherwise I wouldn't have posted it on this forum :). Thanks!

I am in a similar situation. I have been using New Balance black 626 cross trainers. I use them for running for a while, then use them for a casual shoe. The ones I have are just about gone. I bought new 626s but the style is different and they look too dressy for casual / running so I haven't been using them.

I like the ideas suggested so far.

I have been having some foot pain and I have no idea what the cause is, but regardless I need to obtain some casual shoes and am looking for recommendations. I have running shoes for running and a couple pairs of dress shoes for work. What can I wear if I am meeting up with a friend, or have to do a day of errands? I'm male, am looking for something that's good for feet, durable, and comfortable. Also I do a lot of walking. I get heel taps on all my dress shoes because the outer surfaces were getting worn down quickly and this has really helped. Obviously price is a factor otherwise I wouldn't have posted it on this forum :). Thanks!
What about wearing your running shoes? I am retired, but wear my New Balance running shoes for almost everything except formal/dressy occasions. Actually I don't even run, but wear them for every day because they keep my feet from hurting.

When it comes to shoes, I think that "cheap" and "comfortable for problem feet" are mutually exclusive, but you already have running shoes.

Last edited:
When I began showing signs of osteoarthritis in my knees, my doctor told me (quite rightly) to ditch the Converse and get a good pair of shoes. He recommended 2 brands - New Balance and Keen. That was 6 years ago and I am now close to wearing out my second pair of Keens. They don't make the exact style I have anymore, but this one is very close. If you don't like that, they have plenty of other styles, including trainers. All Keen shoes are lightweight and offer support and flexibility, as well as a wide toe box (important for allowing your toes to spread out).

I have been a very happy wearer of Keen shoes for the last 6 years, though I'm about to make a transition to my first pair of Birkentstocks.

I have graduated a couple of pairs of running shoes (once they were too old to run in but still looked pretty good) for casual use. Also, for summer, last year I bought a pair of sandals with arch support. The brand I bought was Sole, but there are many brands out there - my local running store carries several of them. I wear sandals all summer long and was amazed at how much better I feel with these.

What about wearing your running shoes? I am retired, but wear my New Balance running shoes for almost everything except formal/dressy occasions. Actually I don't even run, but wear them for every day because they keep my feet from hurting.

When it comes to shoes, I think that "cheap" and "comfortable for problem feet" are mutually exclusive, but you already have running shoes.

+1 , thats me, NB is also my preferred brand

I have flat feet, so moccasin style penny loafers, boat shoes, work for me. Besides I always look like I just got off my yacht, even hundreds of miles from water.

Personally, I'm a Birkenstock fan (and it was my father who turned me on to them). But many people looking for comfortable casual shoes swear by SAS San Antonio Shoemakers. Although they used to be primarily in Texas (started in San Antonio), they now have stores all over the country plus mail order. Worth checking out.

I have flat feet, so moccasin style penny loafers, boat shoes, work for me. Besides I always look like I just got off my yacht, even hundreds of miles from water.
That's me. Sperry's have gone down in quality lately, but when the sole failed before I wore through to the stitches, they sent me a new pair. And I think nothing of just stepping into the water with them on. Then with a pair of khakkies and a button down, I pass for the yachtsman, hehe!

Check out these very comfortable and cushiony Telic shoes with some medium arch support. Eight colors.

Just diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, I'm able to walk comfortably in these:

TELIC FOOTWEAR - WHAT MADE IN AMERICA FEELS LIKE - Telic flip flops, Telic sandals, comfort sandals, made in America, made in the USA, wellness shoes, shoe reviews, slide shoes, clogs, anatomical quality affordable comfortable lifestyle footwear, wor

Where to find them: STORE LOCATOR

I see them all over eBay as well. The going price is $39.95.

Sperry topsiders if I'm not walking long distances. They are very comfortable for a little walking. Otherwise I wear my brooks ghost running shoes or my new north face hiking shoes.

As it relates to feet, a couple of things just diagnosed. DW was told the 'fat' on the ball of the foot was wearing low, which happens with age. The doctor suggested footpads that stick to the ball of your foot and you place them where it does the most good. Worked great for her along our entire walk on the Camino de Santiago. I started to get a burning pain in my foot. Finally saw the doctor. She diagnosed it as a sweat gland that became inflamed. She scrapped at the spot in her office for about 15 minutes. Viola, I was cured.

Personally, I'm a Birkenstock fan (and it was my father who turned me on to them). But many people looking for comfortable casual shoes swear by SAS San Antonio Shoemakers. Although they used to be primarily in Texas (started in San Antonio), they now have stores all over the country plus mail order. Worth checking out.

I see these shoes all the time and always thought the SAS meant they were from Scandinavia, like SAS = Scandinavian Airlines. D'oh.

I see these shoes all the time and always thought the SAS meant they were from Scandinavia, like SAS = Scandinavian Airlines. D'oh.
:LOL:

When I left the military in 78 and started working in the real world, my workplace was next door to the SAS factory. They have a really great old factory store where they sell their discontinued shoes (I got a couple of pair for 50% off) plus offer a 10-20% discount on their current products. The store is in an old wooden building designed to look (inside and out) like an old general store, including a couple of dozen antique and classic cars. Photos of the store here: SAS San Antonio Shoemakers

Along with the Alamo, the River Walk and the Toilet Seat Museum, this is one of the places we take out of town guests when they visit us. :)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned crocs. Sure the clogs are ugly - but they have other styles of shoes and most have great arch support.

I have big feet and zero sense of style - so many of my shoes are mens shoes. I'm wearing these shoes right now:

Crocs™ Athens | Mens & Womens Sandals | Crocs Shoes Official Site

They offer great arch support and cushion. I regularly wear them on 2 mile walks with the dog.

Crocs also has loafers and other shoes.

The comfort is probably a reason you see surgeons and other OR personel wearing crocs - they have to stand for long periods of time - and need some support and cushion.

I have been living in a pair of Skechers gowalk shoes, which I bought at a little local store that carries SAS :). Unbelievably light and comfortable, and washable. Here is the men's equivalent: with several reviews: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-13...es-Men.jsp?isRequestFromVerRichRelavance=true

These are my first pair of this brand. Somewhat interesting article on the men's Boston marathon winner wearing Skechers: http://www.businessweek.com/article...-marathon-dot-but-why-was-it-even-in-the-race

Last edited:
When I began showing signs of osteoarthritis in my knees, my doctor told me (quite rightly) to ditch the Converse and get a good pair of shoes.

Speaking of Converse, I have many pairs of All-Star hightops, some almost 20 years old. Wear them almost every day.

I know they have almost no support in them, but if a foot doctor told me I'd have to give them up, that would be a serious downer for me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned crocs. Sure the clogs are ugly - but they have other styles of shoes and most have great arch support.

I have big feet and zero sense of style - so many of my shoes are mens shoes. I'm wearing these shoes right now:

Crocs™ Athens | Mens & Womens Sandals | Crocs Shoes Official Site

They offer great arch support and cushion. I regularly wear them on 2 mile walks with the dog.

Crocs also has loafers and other shoes.

The comfort is probably a reason you see surgeons and other OR personel wearing crocs - they have to stand for long periods of time - and need some support and cushion.
Another Crocs fan here. They are super-comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom