Cell Phones

ERD50, to follow up, I went to Verizon and got more details on their pay-as-you-go.
1. They have a special right now of $66 which includes a Samsung flip-phone, the activation and $10 of airtime.
2. The cost is $1.99 on each day the phone is used, but after the one phone call that day, you can make as many calls as you like until midnight for no extra charge. So that $10 airtime is good for 5 days (not necessarily consecutive) "but" it expires in 30 days if not used.
4. Phone account will not expire until "unused" for 1 year.

So it looks like the trick would be to only buy a minimal amount airtime just before you are planning to use it, or say maybe $2 each month for just in case.

THE GOOD NEWS: You can also use an old Verizon phone if you have one and you only have to pay the $35 activation. Of course you don't get the $10 free airtime. But for $35 you are up and running.

OK, I went back this morning to get my old phone put onto PrePaid and the rules somehow changed. IOW, the guy yesterday gave me erroneous data.

Activation is only $25. Each day is $1.99 and unlimited to anyone that day.
Minimum Airtime was $15, expires in 30 days, phone account in 60 days.
Airtime $30, expires in 60 days, phone account expires in 4 months.
Airtime $50-75, expires in 6 months, phone account expires in 6 months.
Airtime $100, expires in 1 year, phone account expires in 1 year.

On the $100 deal, if you buy $15 more at, say day 360, the balance of the $100 rolls over but the expiration is whatever the new amount paid was.

IOW, take an accountant and a lawyer when you shop Verizon.

Switched wife from $30/month Verizon to Tracphone with pay as you go.
As she does not use it much cost is $100 in phone minutes per year. Got it at Sam's Club. She is happy with it, it is a basic cellphone by Samsung.

Also got rid of ATT land phone and went with Ooma VOIP another significant savings $9 each 3 months, have been happy with it. Still pay ATT, but only $20/mo for internet line.

(in reply to "golfnut's"questions: What's the best deal if you have a teenager who "must" have texting ?? We're paying around $125 per month for 2 phones (one of the DW and one for our son). Our plan is with Verizon.)

I have 2 teenagers in the house who have T-Mobile prepaid. For $15 a month (no tax or other junk fees added!) you get unlimited texting. Voice calls are $0.10/min.

Last edited:
I have the Iphone and like the ease of email/texting and web browsing when I am out of town. I intend to keep it. I keep all of my appointments and contacts and have moble me to sync the data to my MacBook.

Howardforums.com has info, wikis and discussions on everything about cell phones and carriers, including prepaid. They used to have a chart comparing prepaid plans but I couldn't find it just now. I have used Tmobile for many years, Pay-As-You-Go prepaid for the last few. Tmobile has regular (Pay-As-You-Go) prepaid minutes and new monthly prepaid plans, although I didn't see the new monthly plans in the wiki. The Gold Rewards status is a big plus as it gives you a one-year expiration on minutes and rolls over to another whole year with just a $10 purchase. I also send texts and they don't seem to affect my balance at all...not sure but think a generous amount of them is included. Of course everything could change with an AT&T merger.

Here is the link to Howardforums prepaid discussion: US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion

You want the iphone. You really do.

DW has one and would be traumatized if it disappeared. It is a phone, camera, internet, video conference with grandkids, our GPS and more. Worth every penny for what it does. More apps than stars in heaven....must have more apps, must have more apps

I got the Verizon iPhone this week, which is my first smart phone ever. The data plan is my first ever and costs $30/month, though if that should bother me in the future I suppose I could drop my land line to pay for it.

After two days I can say that it is very pretty, lots of fun, and may not actually function very well as a simple telephone due to dropped calls and fading in and out. But then it does a lot of other things and as a retiree I don't spend a lot of time yakking on the phone anyway... :D

I cannot get over how far cell phones (smart phones) have come and how fast. Got my first cell phone in 1997 while working part time for a property management company. One step ahead of a walkie-talkie. Recently our son put DW and me on his family plan as a gift to his Mother. Don't know the cost but it's unlimited everything. Got new phones at Verizon. Buy one get one. She got a Droid and I picked the basic cell phone. Hers has voice texting, GPS, video, 650K ringtones, 140K wallpapers, etc, etc. It's crazy! Now I know why people just sit around tables looking and playing with their phones instead of talking. I was at an event recently where there was a break area in the lobby, 60-70 people taking a break and 90% of the people were on their phones. In 14 years they have morphed from cell phones into computers and libraries. I'm amazed! Where do we go from here?

Ain't it the truth, I bought my first cell phone in 1986 after finding myself driving to work in the middle of a blizzard at night. I figured I should have some means of communication. It was a bag-phone of all things. I just got an HTC Thunderbolt, the darn things are pocket computers. I only make maybe 15 minutes of calls a month but the internet capabilities make it worth the price. If you look at where cell phones were 20 years ago it's hard to imagine where they'll be in another 15 or 20. I'm guessing they'll be obsolete.

If you look at where cell phones were 20 years ago it's hard to imagine where they'll be in another 15 or 20. I'm guessing they'll be obsolete.

I agree. This is what my first cell phone looked like:

dkmb86g_392fhn6j9hb_b.jpg

This thread makes me feel like a spendthrift seeing what all of you are paying to have a cell phone. I have a QMD (quick messaging device) so it's not really a "smartphone" but I can check my email, browse the web, etc. I very rarely use it to make actual phone calls :blush:. I'm actually in the market right now and debating getting an Android vs. the iPhone 4.

I'm actually in the market right now and debating getting an Android vs. the iPhone 4.
I'm holding out until I can have one applied with indelible ink to the thumb & forefinger of my left hand. With a speaker and a web browser.

I'm holding out until I can have one applied with indelible ink to the thumb & forefinger of my left hand. With a speaker and a web browser.

You will be pleased to know the guys over at CMU are already on it:

Tech from Plextronics Could Replace Lightbulbs,
"How will OLEDs containing Plextronics’s ink enable McCullough’s grand vision? In two to three years, manufacturers will be able to combine an extremely thin layer of Plextronics’s ink with another film of polymer to form a flat, thin “sandwich” for small displays (smartphones, for example), says Hannah."

You will be pleased to know the guys over at CMU are already on it:
Good to know! Wallpaper TVs and computer monitors.

When we toured there a few years ago, their students were proud of being the nation's first wireless campus. I was more impressed by the washing machines & dryers that texted you when your laundry was finished.

I've had a Tracfone for several years, and it's worked out fine! I purchase a "1 year / 400 minutes" each year for around $100, and have the "Double Minutes for the Life", plus they usually send me some sort of bonus minute offer to add to that. So I end up with another year of service and somewhere around 850-1000 more minutes. I originally bought the Tracfone (a Motorola V series) at SprawlMart for $18. I bought my Mom one about a year after I got mine, and buy her the same service/minutes package as mine. I think I paid $25 for her Motorola V series at that time.

I use mine all of the time...it's my primary phone that all of my friends and family have the number for. I've used it all over the U.S. with no issues or problems.

My Mom only uses her phone to call me if she's out and about, and needs me to meet her somewhere or give her a ride. It works out great for when she goes on day trips on the bus, or when I drop her off somewhere to go shopping. She can do her thing, and I can do my thing, and then she can call when she's ready for me to pick her up.

I also have an AT&T iPhone...my "toy"...that I now use in place of my computer most of the time. It's especially great for our vacations! I've got apps for all of the hotel chains where I prefer to stay and that I collect points for. Also have "The Next Exit" and "iExit" for finding eateries and such when we're on the road, and "Pilot Travel Centers" and "Rest Area" for finding those facilities along the way. "GasBuddy" for locating gas stations with the lowest prices. I also have my pass-time apps like Facebook, Ancestry, Kindle, eBay, a few card games and Mahjong, a few newspapers and radio stations (including my fave, 650 WSM-AM Nashville). All of those (and many more) plus my iPod, camera, email, calendar, and.....it's a phone too! :D

In fact, my brother from Massachusetts called me this afternoon. He's in one of Chicago's northwest 'burbs this week for some training for his job, and wanted us to come up for dinner and to visit. So I tapped the app on the iPhone for the hotel chain he's staying at, logged in, and made our reservation....all for the comfort of my chair on the patio. :)

I am also a Tracfone user---have the phone that offers lifetime double minutes, use a promo code that adds additional minutes when I add airtime, and a regional big box store occasionally has a $20 off a $100 purchase coupon so I am able to purchase one year activation and 1000 minutes for $80. Really--these are more minutes than I need since I have land line and only use the cell when I am away from home.

However, I really appreciate having a cell. Last fall I had a fender bender and was able to use the cell phone to call 911, AAA, and DH (to come pick me up since the car was not drivealbe)---priceless.

I've had a Tracfone for several years, and it's worked out fine! I purchase a "1 year / 400 minutes" each year for around $100, and have the "Double Minutes for the Life", plus they usually send me some sort of bonus minute offer to add to that. So I end up with another year of service and somewhere around 850-1000 more minutes. I originally bought the Tracfone (a Motorola V series) at SprawlMart for $18. I bought my Mom one about a year after I got mine, and buy her the same service/minutes package as mine. I think I paid $25 for her Motorola V series at that time.

I use mine all of the time...it's my primary phone that all of my friends and family have the number for. I've used it all over the U.S. with no issues or problems.

My Mom only uses her phone to call me if she's out and about, and needs me to meet her somewhere or give her a ride. It works out great for when she goes on day trips on the bus, or when I drop her off somewhere to go shopping. She can do her thing, and I can do my thing, and then she can call when she's ready for me to pick her up.

I also have an AT&T iPhone...my "toy"...that I now use in place of my computer most of the time. It's especially great for our vacations! I've got apps for all of the hotel chains where I prefer to stay and that I collect points for. Also have "The Next Exit" and "iExit" for finding eateries and such when we're on the road, and "Pilot Travel Centers" and "Rest Area" for finding those facilities along the way. "GasBuddy" for locating gas stations with the lowest prices. I also have my pass-time apps like Facebook, Ancestry, Kindle, eBay, a few card games and Mahjong, a few newspapers and radio stations (including my fave, 650 WSM-AM Nashville). All of those (and many more) plus my iPod, camera, email, calendar, and.....it's a phone too! :D

In fact, my brother from Massachusetts called me this afternoon. He's in one of Chicago's northwest 'burbs this week for some training for his job, and wanted us to come up for dinner and to visit. So I tapped the app on the iPhone for the hotel chain he's staying at, logged in, and made our reservation....all for the comfort of my chair on the patio. :)

Goonie,

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you use the Tracphone for your cell phone and the iPhone for your portable computer? Do you carry both units with you when you are out and about? Are they ported to the same number (like Google Voice, formerly Grand Central)?

omni

omni550 said:
Goonie,

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you use the Tracphone for your cell phone and the iPhone for your portable computer? Do you carry both units with you when you are out and about? Are they ported to the same number (like Google Voice, formerly Grand Central)?

omni

Yep, I use the Tracfone for almost all of my phone calling...inbound and outbound. And I use the iPhone almost exclusively as a computer substitute....as well as point & shoot camera and iPod.

I normally carry both of them with me. The Tracfone is pretty small and lightweight and fits in any pocket. And the iPhone is only slightly larger and, it too, fits in any pocket. They have different phone numbers, which makes it handy when I'm jawing on one phone and need to call someone during that call...like when coordinating a lunch or dinner get together with several friends.

Goonie said:
Yep, I use the Tracfone for almost all of my phone calling...inbound and outbound. And I use the iPhone almost exclusively as a computer substitute....as well as point & shoot camera and iPod.

I normally carry both of them with me. The Tracfone is pretty small and lightweight and fits in any pocket. And the iPhone is only slightly larger and, it too, fits in any pocket. They have different phone numbers, which makes it handy when I'm jawing on one phone and need to call someone during that call...like when coordinating a lunch or dinner get together with several friends.

I don't understand why ur not using the iPhone for calling.

I'm actually in the market right now and debating getting an Android vs. the iPhone 4.

You'll, of course, want to play with both extensively, but my two farthings are that I'd much prefer the iPhone. I own an LG Android-based phone on a Virgin monthly plan and nothing about is as slick as the iPods and iPhones I've used (I've written some apps for a company for the iPhone/Pad).

Of course, apps matter too so that might weigh in your decision one way or another.

Thanks Webzter.

A part of me thinks "go with the iPhone"; any company which has sold tens of millions of a particular product must know what they're doing right?! Another part of me likes the open-ness and customizability (is that even a word?) of an Android. I compared the iPhone 4 vs the Nexus S. While I like the look of the Nexus S I couldn't get over the fact that the Nexus S had a poorer camera and no HD video (I take a lot of pics and videos of the kids so I'd prefer a decent camera). However, Apple has no Flash, is not customizable, etc.

I'll probably wait until the iPhone 5 comes out, which, according to the rumours that I've heard, won't be until next summer to decide what to do.

Thanks Webzter.

A part of me thinks "go with the iPhone"; any company which has sold tens of millions of a particular product must know what they're doing right?! Another part of me likes the open-ness and customizability (is that even a word?) of an Android. I compared the iPhone 4 vs the Nexus S. While I like the look of the Nexus S I couldn't get over the fact that the Nexus S had a poorer camera and no HD video (I take a lot of pics and videos of the kids so I'd prefer a decent camera). However, Apple has no Flash, is not customizable, etc.

I'll probably wait until the iPhone 5 comes out, which, according to the rumours that I've heard, won't be until next summer to decide what to do.

I heard the iPhone 5 is being introduced at a techie show in June of this year, but the salesclerk at Verizon said she was sure Verizon wouldn't get it until at least after September.

My impressions after having the iPhone for a week or so, are several.

First, you are expected to synch through iTunes to set it up, and in registering there you must provide what seems to me (a privacy freak) to be a lot of personal information, credit card (even if all you want are free apps), address, phone number, and so on. My previous non-smart Motorola phone didn't require any information given to Motorola prior to use. But that's OK - - I'll be an obedient 21st century citizen, and roll over and submit to whatever Apple wants of me. :rolleyes: I can deal with it. But after hearing about this aspect Frank decided he probably won't get one because he would be livid.

Another surprise was that despite being on the same Verizon network as my Motorola, my iPhone doesn't work as well as a phone - - my voice goes in and out (although his sounds fine to me), and it dropped a call which my Motorola phone never did in the several years while I owned it. So it really isn't that great as a phone, per se. It's fun as a portable gadget/computer/thingie, though.

It absolutely MUST be charged every single day, whereas my Motorola flip phone went for 1-2 weeks between charges.

It seems quite fragile but that can be cured - - I got an Otterbox Defender case for it after seeing the u-tube video of it being dropped 23 floors in one and surviving.

Even though it probably has more apps than anything, I have only found a few that I will really use. The one I use most is a sudoku app - - I love playing sudoku on it. There are apps for websites like Facebook and ER Forum, and I use those as well. Maybe I will discover more as time passes. The camera is great and I use it every day.

I have NO idea about Android at all. Didn't look into it.

Last edited:
I heard the iPhone 5 is being introduced at a techie show in June of this year, but the salesclerk at Verizon said she was sure Verizon wouldn't get it until at least after September.

Thanks W2R. I've heard that while Apple is expected to make an announcement in June at the next technie show, the changes to the current iPhone 4 will be so minimal that some analysts say you really can't call it the "iPhone 5"....it will be more like "iPhone 4S". Most of the changes will be cosmetic but nothing groundbreaking. That's why if I do decide to get the iPhone, I don't expect the iPhone 5 to be out until the summer of 2012 (which will hopefully have some big changes compared to the iPhone 4).

Rumor: New "iPhone 4S" Launching on T-Mobile and Sprint, Too? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Thanks, Calgary Girl! I didn't realize this and thought the one to be introduced next month would be a true iPhone 5, with big improvements but it sounds like that will not be the case. Now I'm so glad that I didn't try to wait until later in the summer to buy my iPhone. :D

They had both the black iPhone 4 and the new white one, but I figured the only difference was color so I chose black.

iPhone Apps & Comments

In some ways I wish my DW and I have not purchased an iPhone. We were not particularly unhappy with our previous cell phone arrangement but we decided to go with an iPhone. Well... it was mostly me that thought it would be handy. And it is. Is it worth the extra monthly charges? Maybe not. But now we're stuck with it for two years. So we keep looking for and finding very useful free apps.

One of the best apps for us is Scoutmob - this app allows us to easily find 1/2 price dining establishments in our area. Scoutmob is not nationwide but it is available in several major metro areas and can be used when visiting those areas even if you don't live there. We plan to use it in Chicago for instance when we visit later this year.

The great thing about Scoutmob is you don't have to purchase anything in advance. Simply show up at the restaurant, tell em you have a Scoutmob coupon and they take 1/2 the price off your total bill. Each establishment will have their own 1/2 price limit. We used a Scoutmob recently that was good up to $25 off.

By the way, Scoutmob can be used with plain old email and with text messages too so you don't have to have an iPhone or Droid. But the smart phones make using the coupons sooooo much easier.

Back
Top Bottom