Changed Again, Now Trying for a Saturn VUE (Sorry Kia & Ford)

Re: Decided on a 2006 Kia Sorento (Sorry Ford)

I talked to a guy named Kim Custer (yeah, I'd have slapped my parents too...at least they didnt name him George) in the Kia press group. He assured me that while the company was shooting for the RX 300 with the styling of the Sorento, that there is no relationship with Lexus and that no component of any Kia vehicle is made or supplied by Lexus. The 'innerds', if by which you mean engine/transmission and so forth, are made by Hyundai.

He said he planned on dropping an email to the head of US sales to suggest he waterfall something to tell the sales people to cut it out before "something bad happens"...

I got it from them the other way round. Kia made the body for the 300 not visa versa. There is nothing of the Lexus in the Kia. They never implied that. What they did say was the The 300 used the Kia's body.

SWR

CFB,

Of course the Kia press group would tell you that. They're part of the conspiracy! Part of the cover-up! Don't believe a word they say.

ShokWaveRider said:
I got it from them the other way round. Kia made the body for the 300 not visa versa. There is nothing of the Lexus in the Kia. They never implied that. What they did say was the The 300 used the Kia's body.

SWR

I looked at photos of both, and while I see some strong similarities, the sheet metal isnt even close to identical. Theres also the matter of the 300 being around for several years before the Kia.

By the way, on the whole I couldnt care less, but I can all but assure you that there arent any shared parts between the 300 and the kia. What piqued my interst is if the Sorento had toyota/lexus/honda mechanicals and/or was made by or resold by lexus, I'd be down there this afternoon trading my expedition in on a 20,000 'lexus' suv...

Justinnnnnn.....I almost agreed with you, but I think you're being sarcastic again!

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Justinnnnnn.....I almost agreed with you, but I think you're being sarcastic again!

You are very perceptive. I can never slip anything past you.

Ah, you'll still be around 30 years from now. Marines are too stubborn to die.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I agree with you.

Hey, you don't have to worry about posting just to agree with me. Your competition is internetless in Texas after all, so stop bothering with upping your post count!

I agree completely! ;)

His routine is much more entertaining. Instead of typing out 5 paragraphs in reply to a thread, he'll reply 5 or more times to it in series. You probably werent around the last time that happened.

As far as competition, talking just to hear yourself talk in order to top a list is even too juvenile for me.

If you ask me, there are far better measures than post count. Bringing new topic material is very important to a group forum. Actually posting new material and real opinions also counts.

I'd just as soon the post counts were dropped. Seems to me a lot of hoo-hah would go away pretty quick.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I agree completely! ;)

His routine is much more entertaining. Instead of typing out 5 paragraphs in reply to a thread, he'll reply 5 or more times to it in series. You probably werent around the last time that happened.

As far as competition, talking just to hear yourself talk in order to top a list is even too juvenile for me.

If you ask me, there are far better measures than post count. Bringing new topic material is very important to a group forum. Actually posting new material and real opinions also counts.

I'd just as soon the post counts were dropped. Seems to me a lot of hoo-hah would go away pretty quick.

I agree.

You arent running up your post count in an attempt to challenge me, are you?

I'll mess you up man...

no

ShokWaveRider said:
We have tried the whole country! Not One available.

SWR

SWR, we ran into this when we bought our Subaru wagon a few years ago. I searched dealer inventory in three states and couldn't find one without a moonroof. We had to special order one. If you aren't in a rush, find a dealer you can work with and do the special order. If you will have the car for years, waiting a few weeks to get what you want shouldn't be a big deal.

Only problem i've found with that is that I could always get a better deal for one on the lot than a special order.

I've tried several times by cutting a deal and then in the 11th hour saying that I just wasnt happy with the options and wanted something they didnt have. Even when I told them I wasnt going to buy and walked away, they stuck with their line that they couldnt do that price and bring in another dealers car or special order one.

In our case, we found a dealer that had a guy set up to do nothing but flat price internet orders in high volumes. They beat the hell out of all the other dealers for stuff on the lot, and they gave us the same pricing when we ordered new. They even cut us in on some of the manufacturer to dealer incentive on the special order. Just gotta find an enlightened dealer.

I couldn't find such a dealer when we bought the minivan last year, so I shopped around getting prices and got a quote from carsdirect.com. We then offered the salesman who demo'd the car for us the opportunity to sell us the car if he could meet or beat the best price I had been able to find (I didn't ask him to do so or even discuss price until I had the number tobeat, as a courtesy to him). He (and his sales manager) agreed, so we did the deal. I actually took to chatting with the salesman and we quite liked each other. If he hadn't shipped off toIndia shortly thereafter, no doubt we would have continued periodic chats.

Kia Could not pull through, I think I mentioned that so I went back to the drawing board, mentioned that also.

I Drove (Again) the Kia Sportage, Hyundae Tucson, Ford Escape, Pontiac Torrent, Mitsubishi Outlander, Suzuki Grand Viitara & XL-7 and the Saturn VUE.

After evaluating all the angles the Saturn VUE won. (Although it has a crappy warranty) So now I am scouring the internet for the car I want. I should also mention that it is the only 4cyl in the bunch that I drove and had acceptable power in 1, 2nd and 3rd gears. (Remember I am a MANUAL type of guy). It is also rated at 29 mpg highway which in reality will be about 23 - 25.

SWR

Well then good luck with that car..........................................you'll need it. :D

I prefer Fords to GMs.

lets-retire said:
I prefer Fords to GMs.

I took a look at a 2005 used Escape and it put me off. Rusty Suspension adjusters, sad looking carpets and all that after only 11000 miles.

SWR

ShokWaveRider said:
Kia Could not pull through, I think I mentioned that so I went back to the drawing board, mentioned that also.

I Drove (Again) the Kia Sportage, Hyundae Tucson, Ford Escape, Pontiac Torrent, Mitsubishi Outlander, Suzuki Grand Viitara & XL-7 and the Saturn VUE.

After evaluating all the angles the Saturn VUE won. (Although it has a crappy warranty) So now I am scouring the internet for the car I want. I should also mention that it is the only 4cyl in the bunch that I drove and had acceptable power in 1, 2nd and 3rd gears. (Remember I am a MANUAL type of guy). It is also rated at 29 mpg highway which in reality will be about 23 - 25.

SWR

Ummm, you do know about the severe rollover problems those things have, right?

Any reason you didn't drive a Subaru Forrester? Nice manual tranny (with the hill-holder!), peppy engine, very, very crashworthy, and reasonably sporty.

And while you're looking at the forrester what about the Pontiac Vibe? I checked those out the last time I was in waiting for service...not a bad little car.

Outtahere said:
what about the Pontiac Vibe?  I checked those out the last time I was in waiting for service...not a bad little car.
Plus they have all that Toyota blood running through them. :)

Yea I know JP but I like Pontiacs, I've had good luck with them... and besides most vehicles these days are half breeds LOL

brewer12345 said:
Ummm, you do know about the severe rollover problems those things have, right?

Any reason you didn't drive a Subaru Forrester? Nice manual tranny (with the hill-holder!), peppy engine, very, very crashworthy, and reasonably sporty.

The Forester, a nice car, was more than I wanted to Pay. I am in the 20 - 25k range loaded with what I want. I priced one out at aboy $26k a little too much for a Wagon. We wanted an SUV.

Well as far as roll overs, I drove (am still driving) a 88 Ford Bronco II with the worst roll over stats in the business and I have never rolled it in 18 years. Never even came close. Do you realize how bad your driving and perception of road conditions and other traffic must be before you roll a car? Then if it is going to roll it will roll regardless. Maybe when I am 70 odd and my driving skills have been reduced to 50% I may reconsider.

IMHO America, (Notice I did not say Americans) is far too hung up on safety and airbags and such. Media Driven no doubt, just like everything else. I would personally rather have no Air Bags and a good safety harness with decent crumple zones on the car and a decent set of tires. I will disconnect the damn On Star system that they force you to have with it. How invasive is that? I do not want anyone with the ability to open my car from a remote site or know where I am! If I am so stupid as to leave my keys in the car and lock it, without having a spare set at hand, I deserve to have to wait for assistance, in the cold, snow and hail for that matter. The day I do that, please let it snow and hail in Florida. I have AAA they have always pulled through in the past. I called them one when I had a flat and my wheel nuts were siezed.

Sorry, but we were fine 20 years ago without all the Airbags and other paraphinalia that the "Your Country Owns You" Government mandates. Free Country my ........ No slam against the USA please intended here, all civilized countries are getting as bad. England, my birthright is now referred to as a "Nanny" state. The government mandates so much, it is ludicrous. Since when did we loose the right to think or act for ourselves?

Off Soap Box

Gve me a Morgan Plus 8 with nothing on it any day. Oh those were the days.......

SWR

SWR, you mentioned driving the Torrent---How was it?  I've been thinking about one of those.

Back
Top Bottom