Chart of S&P 500 v. P/E (both ttm and ftm)

Arin38

Dryer sheet aficionado
I was wondering if anyone had a good source for charting the S&P 500 (or any other broad-based index of the market...) against its P/E ratio for both the trailing 12 months and also the future/projected 12 months.

I'm a long term buy and hold but thought this would be interesting, especially given recent talk on the board of market timing. 8)

It would also be interesting to chart interest rates against this as well.

Anyone have a good site? I just started searching and am coming up goose eggs. :confused:

Should I take this as:

(a) we can't find these data either

or

(b) we don't care about such data

:confused:?

arin38,
I want that data also. Drumming fingers.............waiting.........

Slow day at work...

Attachments

• pe.JPG
    pe.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 75
Google - yale business shiller long term stock data

The bad news - prof Shiller has a fondness for tables - not charts.

Ahah! - I see I'm too slow - where did you find it?

Wow. Thanks - I'll start reviewing this.

Been off the grid for about 5 hours - amazing how much I like electricity. Storm just blew thru New Orleans and knocked out power.

Have Funds said:
Edited to add IR; created a chart from Shiller data:/quote]

In your usage, what is IR?

Thanks, Ha

Nice charts. I have looked at and analyzed this data before and it is one of the reasons why hold little stock (no pun intended) in arguments that we are facing a long period of poor performance based on current valuations. The correlation between valuation and future performance is weak at best. JWR looked at a lot of this data in the past and found better (but still weak) correlation between PE10 and future performance. He and hosuc have tried to make way too much of the data, but it is still interesting. :)

Back
Top Bottom